MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

before i ruin this again (serge, euro, 101)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Author before i ruin this again (serge, euro, 101)
beatcleaver
I posted this in the serge forum since this track is mostly serge but forgot to post here. This is more of a traditional song than most of my other tracks.

I've posted as much detail as I can remember from the patch below.

Thanks for listening. SlayerBadger!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/beatcleaver/before-i-ruin-this-again[/s]
 [ link: https://soundcloud.com/beatcleaver/before-i-ruin-this-again ]

Main voice...Two panel Serge of mixed vintage
Sub bass...Noise Engineering Loquelic Iteritas, Random*Source Serge VCFQ
Kick... Left side of the Malekko/Richter Dual Borg
Lead lines...Roland SH-101
Sequencing...Tip-Top Audio Trigger Riot, Make Noise Rene, Doepfer clock dividers and VC switches

Sequencing...

The Serge voice and the Loquelic share the same gate and CV sequences. The Trigger Riot supplies the gates, Rene supplies the pitch CV.

The Serge voice gets more gates patterns from the Trigger Riot than the Loquelic. The Serge also has a 10 step gate sequencer. More on that below.

Three patterns from the Trigger Riot provide the main gate sequence. Two patterns are fed into a Doepfer switch and a third pattern into the VC input switches between first two. The resulting pattern feeds the gate sequence for the Serge and Loquelic.

The Trigger Riot also provides two further gate patterns that go directly to the Serge. I don't think I used any probability settings for these gate sequences, they're all at 100%.

For the kick rhythm there's another Trigger Riot pattern with some probabilities at 10% for the occassional extra kick, and some of the regular kicks with 95% probability so occassionally don't fire.

If you haven't used the Trigger Riot it's essentially four tempo synced clocks (or square LFOs if you like) per pattern. For each clock/LFO you can adjust its time base, offset and pulse width (and a few other things). As each clock rises and falls at different rates and widths, they are ORed together and can interact to create quite complex patterns. It has its limitations but overall it's a gem.

For pitch CV, four rows on Rene are used as separate four note sequences. These correspond to the three sections of the overall track plus one row used as a transition.

Another gate pattern from the Trigger Riot into the Rene X axis loops through the four notes. I triggered the Y axis manually to step down a row to the next sequence.

Main Voice / Serge...

The main gate pattern from the Trigger Riot triggers one half of a DUSG which is used as a volume envelope.

Same gate pattern is used as the clock input for a 10 step gate sequencer. Only 8 steps are used (step 9 into reset) but using a pattern rather than a regular clock pulse meant the steps didn't loop evenly on the bar. Most steps are used to modulate something in the voice, so even though the pitch sequence loops evenly on a number of bars, the modulation doesn't.

Main voice is an NTO tri into each part of a triple waveshaper in turn, into an Extended Range VCF, into a Resonant EQ, into UAP VCA

One of the band outputs of the ResEQ is fed back into a dual processor for attenuation, then into the top left input of the top of the triple waveshaper

Raising the level of this feedback gives a "broken" quality to the audio, kind of like static being mixed in. Raising the level of the top waveshaper had a similar but slightly different effect. In the last section where the octave drops, by turning down the top waveshaper level, most of the notes drop out, or struggle to break through the static.

One half of a DUSG at audio rate, FMs the NTO via a ring mod used as a VCA.

Other side of the DUSG is being triggered from multiple steps on the step sequencer, the output providing the envelope modulating the ring mod/VCA.

Another gate pattern triggers another DUSG half, output going to the VCF cutoff.

One of the DUSG envelopes is multed into the DUSG VC in which changes the audio rate DUSG half going into the NTO FM input. This particular modulation causes a lot change in the audio rate DUSG and via FM a lot of change in the NTO.

One step on the step sequencer hits the aux pitch input on the NTO which is tuned to raise the pitch an octave for the duration of that step. Since the modulation sequence doesn't loop evenly on the bar, the pitch goes up an octave in time with the sequence but not at a particularly regular interval.

Two steps from the step sequencer hit the portamento input of the NTO causing glides, again, not necessarily at the same regular interval.

Most of main voice is the same NTO modulated differently on each step: more/less FM, pitch raised an octave, portamento on/off, gates into the triple waveshaper, modulation into the vcf.

Bass / Loquelic / VCFQ...

Fairly simple patch, a slow Xoac Devices Batumi LFO heavily attenuated into the one of the Loquelic inputs and a similarly slow, unsynced LFO into the VCFQ cutoff. This just provides a bit of low end to the main patch. You can tell which part is the loquelic as it slides in under the main patch around 30s in.

Kick / Dual Borg...

Left side of the dual borg, resonance somewhere between 90-100%. Make Noise Maths into the EXT input. Intellijel Quadra as the volume envelope, Mutable Instruments Veils as the VCA. To me, the Dual Borg makes one particular type of kick particularly well. Don't know how to describe it. "Natural" sounding for want of a better term. Hard to dial in though. The resonance on the borgs is such a screamer.

SH-101...

My 101 has some issues. The resonance isn't working at all. The sound used here is the saw into filter type of lead, with a little portamento. The LFO slowly modulates pitch slightly. I played the lead lines by hand during mix down as I didn't have any CV sequencers left unused. I didn't expect this to be the best recording I had, so I can't say I played the parts especially well.

cheers Guinness ftw!
nklif
thanks for all those notes, holy cow. Sounds great. Will follow on soundcloud too
beatcleaver
thumbs up
Fog Door
Some really nice sounds right there. Out of interest, could I ask if "Before I Ruin This Again" is the actual title? Or are you alluding to some perceived flaw in your own recording practices? wink
beatcleaver
Fog Door wrote:
Some really nice sounds right there.

Thanks.

Fog Door wrote:
Out of interest, could I ask if "Before I Ruin This Again" is the actual title? Or are you alluding to some perceived flaw in your own recording practices? wink

Both!

I often ruin a track before I capture it, so when I tried to record this, that was the literally what I was thinking as I hit record.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Page 1 of 1