MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla MARF alternative in MU ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Buchla MARF alternative in MU ?
nidas
Are there any kind of MARF in MU land?

Seems like an extremely well thought out way to do performance and play with quite simple sequencer CV.. It has 4 inputs and seems to have 2 different output at the same time.. Switches for controlling octave and timing changes and so on..

Yes I saw Suzanne Ciani perform a couple of days ago and really liked what she did with the MARF during that performance.
sduck
Adapting the currently available MARF pcbs to 5U would be rather unwieldy - it would be super wide. Someone would really want to redo the design specifically with 5U in mind.
levelhead3
Actually not all that bad, at least physically. 4u in Buchla = 8u in MU, so no wider than a Q119 or 960 sequencer.
nidas
sduck wrote:
Adapting the currently available MARF pcbs to 5U would be rather unwieldy - it would be super wide. Someone would really want to redo the design specifically with 5U in mind.

yes that ofcourse would be fantastic but are there similar module / modules that could do the same as a MARF..
ArguZ
Remember the MARF is a function generator and not a sequencer .
Unless someone changes the firmware and makes the time components follow rhythmic patters it disrupts anything that follows a static BPM.
When we need is a way to set the time sliders to overwrite the next steps, not add time in between them.
JohnLRice
I've never owned a MARF and haven't even studied what it does exactly but maybe take a look at the Encore Electronics UEG? (Universal Event Generator) It's obviously much simpler then a MARF but it does have a timing pot for each of the 8 steps. It's no longer available in MU format as far as I know but the MOTM format ones are still available and it would be relatively easy to repanel one into a MU panel. hmmm..... Actually, putting two UEGs plus another module or two behind a 4 to 6 MU panel might give you a very powerful and interesting pseudo MARF module?! hyper thumbs up
http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_ueg1.html
nidas
Thanks JohnLRice - I have totally missed this module.. Its not a Marf by far but coul be fun in MU land..
jvt
Another approach (again, not actually a MARF) is to use any multi-row sequencer and a voltage controlled clock/LFO. Clock the sequencer with the clock source and route one of the sequencer rows to modulate the clock/LFO speed. A Serge slope type circuit can be added to spice up the CV output. There's also no reason the MARF couldn't be emulated digitally. Would make for a much smaller and cheaper module. No idea why no one has done this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1