MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Feeling outdone by natural sounds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Feeling outdone by natural sounds
naturligfunktion
orangehexagon wrote:
Nature will always be better than us at everything so I'd say learn to accept it and divorce yourself of as much ego as possible :-)

I dunno know man, I think few things compare to Robert Plant in his prime. One could say that he is a force of nature

cool
jorg
Funch wrote:
There are some nature sounds that can be down right annoying. Used to live in an area where there were "buzzy bugs" .

The Cicadas are extremely loud here most summers, and I can't get enough of them! I built a song around them many years ago.
chamomileshark
Been an interest of mine for some time

Grasshoppers Wiard 300 series(the birds aren't right)

Better birds - EMS

Cicadas - EMS

Rain, Frogs, Wind in reeds -Wiard 300 series
cretaceousear
Meh : for anyone who's a nerd completist like me.
Those groovy Weddell seals that authorless posted.
The movie Arrival samples them for the heptapod aliens. Kinda appropriate.
snm
Rashad Becker does has some convincing sound design with Nord Modular, and possibly some other modular stuff. Check the 2 min mark:
Phil999
very interesting, thanks.

It's not necessarily beautiful, but on the right track, so to speak. Remarkable. Good use of technology, this is something I like much.
ersatzplanet
I always use natural forest/ocean/jungle/swamp/industrial background beds in my music. Adding a complex natural sound does something to EM that nothing else seems to do. The human mind latches onto it and suddenly there is a "depth" that wasn't there before.

Bird sounds are intense. Many of them are actually partially out of our range of recording/hearing. Especially ones from smaller birds that to us just sound like chirps or snaps - many are actually frequency sweeps beyond our hearing range.
Flexyflier
Nature has some very cool sounds...........amazing!!
Blingley
TimeRaveler wrote:
Whoa those are crazy! I'd totally be up for a modular bird challenge.

Humans mimicking animal activity challenge?

I top you with birds mimicking human activity challenge!

Truly my spirit animal.
Phil999
wow, I've never heard or read about the lyrebird. I thought the crow-bird species were the ones with the most sophisticated imitations. Long time ago I did a recording of such a species (forgot the name) in a zoo with a DAT recorder, imitating baby cries which was very irritating because somehow you get alarmed when you hear it, but looking around, there was no baby there. It was the bird doing those cries that one could not discern from a real baby cry. Absolutely perfect. Needless to say that in a zoo there often are families and mothers carrying babies, who taught the bird those sounds.

Absolutely marvelous how the lyrebird imitates surrounding sounds. There's another video on YT where it imitates, according to David Attenborough, 20 other bird species, and a camera shutter sound. The chainsaw sound at the end of the clip leaves one speechless. Very realistic.

For us synth heads the birds' syrinx is the perfection of sound synthesis. Well said Blingley to call the lyrebird your spirit animal.

Which also reminds me of another extraordinary thing I read today in a science magazine (print, no links, but you may find it online including the search term Scientific American). It's not exactly on topic. There is a crab species with one large, disproportional pincer that can, when snapped, create a powerful shockwave. To shy away enemies. I knew about this species and its large pincer, but what is new to me is, according to this article, that this snap not only creates a shockwave, it creates a so-called plasma of 4000 degrees Celsius. This effect can only be explained with a physical effect scientists are rather reluctant to speak about, because it is difficult to describe, and even more difficult to reproduce with technical means: cavitation.

Cavitation has to do with implosion, negative friction, geometries or hulls that accelerate fluid matter into self-propelling mode so to speak. I could expand much more on this, but it's a topic that would go much too far, it would involve the research of Viktor Schauberger and other non-compliant researchers. However, in this article, the scientists created a 3D print of this particular pincer for further research. They are not able to reproduce the effect, but they are on the right track at least.
datahound
Now i really want to go outside and record every insect and bird sound i find and start making experiments with my setup
cornutt
diophantine wrote:
cptnal wrote:
Surely you can manage the emu (2:50, second video). Sounds just like a low pass gate.

Disappointing you can't do that with just an E-mu....

The great philosophical question: what if you sample an emu with an E-Mu? Mr. Green
Cortega
electricanada wrote:
authorless wrote:
It gets a whole lot worse, lol.

23:20 -- OMG!

25:56, this is killer stuff.

i think the Fishes are cheating, some of them have Modulars and they are recreating the Maths Bouncing Ball Patch at 23:20 and 25:56
electricanada
There is an instrument whose sounds equal those of nature—the Daxophone. Hear it and believe!
mg05
Theses days news about the loudest bird on earth running out of the press agencies around the globe.
I heard it on radio.
It is the:

Span. 'campaneru blancu'

Engl. 'White bellbird' (Procnias albus)

you can watch and listen here:
Internet Bird Collection https://www.hbw.com/ibc/species/white-bellbird-procnias-albus

The White Bellbird makes a super strange sound like a synthesiser.
Beautiful.

EDIT: too clever for embedding URL
EATyourGUITAR
that bird used to be wendy carlos
wackelpeter
mg05 wrote:
Theses days news about the loudest bird on earth running out of the press agencies around the globe.
I heard it on radio.
It is the:

Span. 'campaneru blancu'

Engl. 'White bellbird' (Procnias albus)

you can watch and listen here:
Internet Bird Collection https://www.hbw.com/ibc/species/white-bellbird-procnias-albus

The White Bellbird makes a super strange sound like a synthesiser.
Beautiful.

EDIT: too clever for embedding URL

What kind of envelope generator and VCF got used?

Can you patch 2 or 3 of them together???

edit: and wtf hangs out of his mouth? It can be seen on both vids, is it his tongue or snot hanging out of the nose?
Sir Ruff
https://www.sciencealert.com/this-brazilian-bird-s-deafening-mating-ca ll-is-the-loudest-bird-sound-ever-recorded

Bird rave stab (also, gotta make sure I never get anywhere near this bird!)

I've personally never seen the point in trying to emulate natural sounds--for academic purposes? Sure. For music? No. Same goes for acoustic instruments. This is why samplers were invented smile
ersatzplanet
I used to play around Seattle in a 3-piece synth band back in the late 70's. We did what we liked to think of as "soundtrack music" but would be probably called Ambient now (we have a couple of records out, look for Young Scientist). We didn't have samplers because they were way too expensive so we used a lot of tape loops. We made a lot of stuff and used environmental recordings (the Environments Series was a great set) and I think that adding a little bit of natural sounds suddenly adds a huge depth to the whole piece. We had recordings of nature, factory noises, construction sounds, animals and zoo sounds, tons of stuff like that. Since playing synths is not a very visual thing, we checked out 16mm films from the library and projected them behind us. We picked them by name and seldom saw them until we played. Since we were improvisational anyway, we would look up and make som sound to match but by the names we often had the environmental sound loops in our arsenal that would fit. Worked great.

I have a bunch of loop libraries now that I use often. Some Skywalker sound stuff and there are many great sites on the web that host hours of ambient sounds like the engine room of the enterprise and inside the TARDIS. And I mean HOURS of stuff, many tracks being hours long themselves.
ricko
I grew up next to an Australian rsinforest, and the thousands of birds singing every morning for the dawn chorus was amazing. The catbird is astounding: so much like a baby koala's cry.

If you want to synthesize birdsong, search for xoxos avian tract vst. (Xoxos is a wonder: inspirational.)
ZargZorg
Props to SNM, I was going to post that Rashad Becker album here,
It's amazingly fullfilling to ear men made sounds designed like real acoustic natural ones.
Funch
Sir Ruff wrote:
https://www.sciencealert.com/this-brazilian-bird-s-deafening-mating-ca ll-is-the-loudest-bird-sound-ever-recorded

Bird rave stab (also, gotta make sure I never get anywhere near this bird!)

I've personally never seen the point in trying to emulate natural sounds--for academic purposes? Sure. For music? No. Same goes for acoustic instruments. This is why samplers were invented smile
yea agree that if you want to sound like an acoustic instrument like a tubular bells, cellos etc samplers work great.

However I enjoy jaming along with thunder and the mother 32 into clouds produces a very natural thunder sound.

So if I play a roland gr300 guitar synth along with the guitar and the guitar also triggers a midi note on message and gate, via a guitar pitch to midi converter and then send that midi info to the mother32, it will produce a randomness that mimics real thunder very nicely.

Its like the thunder is its own instrument.
dslocum
I've always been interested in trying my hand at recreating sounds from nature.

I once did a very realistic thunderstorm. I didn't have enough modules or patch cords at the time to do the rain and thunder at the same time, so I had to tear down one patch to make the other. Didn't record it or the patches so it's lost in the ether at this point.

One of my first patches on my modular was Jet Crickets
Funch
dslocum wrote:
I've always been interested in trying my hand at recreating sounds from nature.

I once did a very realistic thunderstorm. I didn't have enough modules or patch cords at the time to do the rain and thunder at the same time, so I had to tear down one patch to make the other. Didn't record it or the patches so it's lost in the ether at this point.

One of my first patches on my modular was Jet Crickets
yes, the whole process is interesting. It starts with some deep listening to those nature sounds. I noticed that thunder will echo off canyon walls and the last echo is just a pure white noise wash. Echos come at you at different times and amplitude depending upon the distance of the reflective surface.And there spatially variable Echoes of The Echoes.

Deep listening to a water fall can cause the mind to hear pitched melodies.
JakoGreyshire
dslocum Cool patch of crickets!

I am another enthusiast of patching natural sounds... i love this thread!
So much fun to think of cool patch ideas in this regard.

One time my friend and I tried to make a babbling brook sound and it ended up sounding like a bubbling cauldron in a dungeon. Good fun.

After a while I started doing sounds of fantastical beasts like "what would a dragon roar sound like?" Or alien birds?

Then last winter I was out enjoying some snowboarding and I could hear the blizzarding snow hitting my helmet and there was all these tiny breaking crystal sounds around my ears! That was a real treat to listen to! Try to recreate that! it's super fun!

Then the abstract ideas came. Like, try to imagine what a bouncing ball sounds like as it's bouncing on a wooden floor. Then while the ball is bouncing the floor turns to glass, and then turns to metal. the ball then turns to ice and shatters. The shards hit multiple walls at different times and then comes back together to coalesce back into a ball and rolls away...

I've patched thunder off in the distance with wind and a shore break. As if standing on the beach while a thunder storm moves in. The thunder gets louder little by little as does the wind starts to increase the shore breaks start to get more erratic...

So, would it be okay to post some alien birds patch here, or should we keep it to normal natural sounds?

J.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2