MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New to Buchla format , power boat quest. and some others
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author New to Buchla format , power boat quest. and some others
TechnoPrisoner
Hi,

Soon I am getting a BEMI 208 rev 4 from a fellow Wiggler, it comes with passive boat.
So I would like you to suggest me options in order to power it,I would like to add the I am planning to add 2-4 more modules to my setup later probably DIY .
What kind of power boat do I have to get in order to power the passive boat with the 208 and the extra 2-4 modules I plan to build ?Also what's the deal with WATT consumption ? Is there a way to figure/calculate your systems watt needs like modulargrid does for Eurorack ?

I am in EURORACK for the last 5 years and I do lots and lots of DIY's so I am familiar with modular systems and building modules but with Buchla I feel I have to start for 0 for some reason.

I would like also to send CV's signal from my EURO to Buchla, should I build/get cables with mini jack to banana ?
Or build a module with mini jack sockets and banana sockets ? Any DIY kits available ?

What options do I have regarding the grounding thing ?

Do you mostly buy banana cables or you build them ?And if you buy where do you get them from?

thank you in advance.
rkilman
Get a 4 space powered buchla boat and an interconnect cable, which will connect your powered boat to your passive boat.

You can buy (or build) something like a Low-Gain Electronics UTL-1 Passive Format Converter Box or euro module. Your powered boat will connect via banana to the ground jack on the converter box. Kits are available, but should be easy enough to just get the jacks and make one.

I use pomona banana cables that came with a system I bought. Buchla has started making their own banana cables too.
papz
I offer mini distro boards that should be powered with a +/-15V PSU such as the inexpensive Mean Well PD-2515.
It's a very good solution to power a 208 or small system.
http://www.portabellabz.be/distro.html

Synovatron offers good solutions to interface between the Buchla and eurorack worlds, you could add to your boat a GTPulse (to have the Buchla pulse needed for the envelope sustained/transient switch) and CV1.2 (to convert eurorack 1V/oct CV to Buchla 1.2V/oct) : https://synovatron.blogspot.com/2015/06/new-euro-to-buchla-cv-translat or-cv12.html

For grounding, add a banana or minijack socket connected to ground to your boat. Or ground connection will be done via the Synovatron modules if you use them.

The best banana cables are Pomona, available from Mouser.
Some helpful info : http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59850
They also sell the jumpers, take the Pomona MDP-S type, S is for shorting, on the other ones both plugs are not shorted.
TechnoPrisoner
thanks for the replies,helped me a lot.

Regarding banana cables and Buchla systems,do the cables have to be stackables? I guess no,so is it ok if for a connection I use cheap banana cables which are widely available ?

Quote:
They also sell the jumpers, take the Pomona MDP-S type, S is for shorting, on the other ones both plugs are not shorted.

So since those "others" are not shorted what is their purpose ?

thanks.
papz
I don't know what's their purpose.

Stackable banana cables are very useful, I wouldn't use other type.
rkilman
papz wrote:
Stackable banana cables are very useful, I wouldn't use other type.

Same.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1