MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mutable Instruments Plaits in MU
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Mutable Instruments Plaits in MU
Chrutil
So this happened Rockin' Banana!

I wanted to pull my system towards a bit more digital capabilities so I decided to reformat the Plaits module to MU and build one.
One thing led to another. and another.. and another...

It sits really well in large format.
I probably won't end up keeping all ten of them, but this stuff is fun!
Voltage_Controller
hihi
JohnLRice
jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop
jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop
ubiquiphilia
Nicely laid out!

Did you respin the board or go with the wires to the panel route?

Any chance of a sexy from the back shot?

Nice work.
Chrutil
Thanks! hihi
First I designed the panel as I wanted it, then I took the original PCB design and changed from the microscopic 0402 smd size to use mainly 0805 sized components, which I am comfortable with - added 12 volt converters and split out the jacks into their own sub panel (since they are deeper than the pots) and moved everything in place for the new panel design.

It looks nice and tidy back there -

I'd add a photo of the pcb front as well, but I can't seem to find it here. Probably on my other computer and I will add it later.
Dave Peck
Gorgeous! This is fun!

.. but where is the 1V/OCT trim pot...?
Chrutil
Dave Peck wrote:
Gorgeous! This is fun!

.. but where is the 1V/OCT trim pot...?

Thanks Dave!
That’s a very observant question!
Plaits has a software calibration mode where you first pass in 1V and then 3V and it calibrates it from there.
ubiquiphilia
That is really beautiful.
levelhead3
very nice use of the larger panel space. looks fantastic!! we're not worthy
Chrutil
Thanks!
For completeness, here is a photo of the front side sans panel.
I'll be putting Eagle files, Gerbers, panel and whatever I can think of up on GitHub in the days to come in case anyone is interested in building for themselves.

Cheers,
Christer
zeta
Mpppfff, eek! love applause
Super!!!
ba1
Wow! This is one of the best looking Euro to MU conversions I've seen! Plaits is an awesome module! Enjoy!
Thalassa
Good work! It looks amazing! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Flareless
applause Great work! Very well done.
Eric the Red
That’s a beautiful build. I am a huge fan of excess, but what was going’s through your mind when you thought “10 of these is the right amount to build”?
Chrutil
Eric the Red wrote:
That’s a beautiful build. I am a huge fan of excess, but what was going’s through your mind when you thought “10 of these is the right amount to build”?

Haha thanks, well I knew I wanted at least four of them and then it was the 10 PCBs minimum order, combined with a bit of a price break for the components and I guess I can also claim temporary insanity for some of it hmmm.....
I never really intended to keep all of them, but figured if I did a good job there'd be someone that wants one too so I made a few extra.
Testing and burn-in this weekend to make sure they are all good.
Thanks all for the kind words!
KoryB
!!!!!!!!!!
fabodyssey
nice job applause
it's nice to see projects like this
Brendanleespengler
Wow, those are amazing! Are they available for purchase, or just a personal deal?
Or, you mentioned linking the build on Github, yes?
Chrutil
Hi again,
Just a final note for anyone interested in building this for themselves, I have created the initial GitHub repo for this project, that includes pcb's in Eagle format, Gerber files for PCB making and Panel layout/graphics in AutoCAD and PDF formats.

https://github.com/Chrutil/PlaitsMU

A few people have asked me if I am making these to sell, and no I am not going to make a production of these - there are established people and companies doing that and I don't want to step on their feet.
However, I built 10 of them, and I cannot imagine needing all of them so at some point I might sell a few of the ones I did make.
Just a fair warning if you are interested, my panels are blanks from dotcom that are laser etched and hand drilled. These are not professionally made. I think they look great myself but in particular the drilling is not 'factory quality'.

Thanks,
Christer
Sugarfree
I would love to buy one of yours. I prefer laser etching over silk screening anyway. A full panel+pcb redesign for MU is the professional way to do it, so kudos to you.
JohnLRice
Just FYI, someone else just announced a 5U build of Plaits, this one using mostly through hole components:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3043528
kindredlost
A fine job Chrutil!

I'd love to see one sitting next to the (old rusty) FSFX Macro Digital Oscillator (Braids) in my system.

Actually four of these would make a great companion to a Sonfonion or Harmonaig. nodnod
Faustgeist
Well done!
Chrutil
JohnLRice wrote:
Just FYI, someone else just announced a 5U build of Plaits, this one using mostly through hole components:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3043528

Just saw that - beautiful work, and it's through hole too for diy!
I was thinking what a coincidence for both of us to be done at almost the same time, but Plaits was open sourced in September last year and it might just take about six month to do this - at least it did for me, but I do this for fun and to relax lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2