MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Silly Clock Question for Q960's (2 ea.)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Silly Clock Question for Q960's (2 ea.)
MindMachine
Say I have two Q960's and I have Q960 #1 Oscillator Output into a Yusynth Triple Clock Divider. I use one Yusynth divider to control the timing of Q960 #2. Seems clear. Can I use another Yusynth Divider into Q960 #1 shift input to override it's internal clock? Seems like it should. Then it would also affect Q960 #2's timing right? Just curious about the override on #1.

I finally plan on buying another Q960 to go with current Q960, Q962 Seq. Switch, Q128 Switch, Q963 Trig Buss. I figure the Yusynth Clock Divider and another Q963 will complete my MU Sequencer suite.

Finally expanding MU after consolidating some.
JohnLRice
I can't remember for sure at the moment but you "might" need to install a switch or a jack with a switch if the Shift input isn't already a switching jack that will disconnect the internal clock when an external clock is plugged in?? hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it
ranix
The Q960's oscillator will continue to run when something else is driving the Shift input.

The Q960's oscillator may be started and stopped while the Q960 is being clocked by an external source.

MindMachine wrote:
Say I have two Q960's and I have Q960 #1 Oscillator Output into a Yusynth Triple Clock Divider. I use one Yusynth divider to control the timing of Q960 #2. Seems clear.

OK

Quote:
Can I use another Yusynth Divider into Q960 #1 shift input to override it's internal clock?

Yes

Quote:
Then it would also affect Q960 #2's timing right?

No.

Quote:
Just curious about the override on #1.

The sequencer on 1 will be overridden but the oscillator will continue to clock 2 as if it were not overridden.
JohnLRice
Oh, being a broken record is TIGHT! Mr. Green (Pitch Meeting reference, look for them on the Screen Rant YouTube channel hihi ) so I'm compelled to mention that people with a single 960 sequencer might want to consider getting a COTK C961S and people with two 960 sequencers might want to consider getting a COTK C961D. Because I think it blows away not having them. Just saying . . . spinning (again for the 100th time (hides) )

Flareless
If you use an external LFO as your clock rather than Q960 #1's internal clock then you should be able to pull of what you want if I understand correctly.

Many times I start patches using a sequencer's internal clock but then I often re-patch using either an LFO or a MIDI clock for flexibility in expanding the patch.
Synth Con Meo
I have a question not exactly the same as Mindmachines but still related to clocking a Q960. I recently set up a STG Time suite in which I was just timing with a Roland SBX-1 using DIN Synch. I would like to time the Q960 with the SBX-1 also but not 100% sure the best way to do this.

Even though I've had the SBX-1 for quite some time because I came across it at a great price I haven't used it until now. I do have a Q174 and was messing with that trying to use the MIDI out of the SBX-1 to the Q174 but trying to figure out from there how to clock the Q960 with it. Wasn't sure if the Control Input was the right one to use.

Thoughts?
zeta
+1 @ flareless

Synth con meo, 960 shift IN. You might want a clock divider sooner or “ladder”.!?
MindMachine
Thank you all very much.

I think Flareless solution is the most obvious if I have a spare LFO but should be fine using the Q960 clocks.

Starting to use the MU more these days and want to expand sequencing. Fun times ahead.

Sun
MindMachine
Synth Con Meo wrote:
I have a question not exactly the same as Mindmachines but still related to clocking a Q960. I recently set up a STG Time suite in which I was just timing with a Roland SBX-1 using DIN Synch. I would like to time the Q960 with the SBX-1 also but not 100% sure the best way to do this.

Even though I've had the SBX-1 for quite some time because I came across it at a great price I haven't used it until now. I do have a Q174 and was messing with that trying to use the MIDI out of the SBX-1 to the Q174 but trying to figure out from there how to clock the Q960 with it. Wasn't sure if the Control Input was the right one to use.

Thoughts?

Put the external clock into the Shift Input on the Q960 I believe.
Synth Con Meo
zeta wrote:

Synth con meo, 960 shift IN. You might want a clock divider sooner or “ladder”.!?

MindMachine wrote:

Put the external clock into the Shift Input on the Q960 I believe.

Thank you both of you. That makes sense, now. I am still such a noob that the sometimes I just miss some of the simple things, let alone anything too complicated.

I am going to mess with that tonight.

Thanks again
Synth Con Meo
Ok so I am just not getting it. I've been successful of plugging my Grandmother into the Q174 Midi Interface and taking the gate out to the shift input on the Q960. If I hit a key it will shift. So I ran the Arp on Hold mode and it was shifting the Q960.

But if I use the Midi out of the SBX-1 to the Q174 I can't seem to get a gate out of the gate output of the Q174. If I patch from the 3.5mm gate output of the SBX-1 to the Shift in on the Q960 it doesn't shift. But if I flip the Polarity switch on the SBX-1 down to the inverted square it will shift the Q960 one step but that's it.

Clearly I don't know WTF I am doing. I've sort of menu dived but still haven't came up with anything that will work.

I did read on some of the threads here about using the LFO but I haven't tried that.
Synth Con Meo
Ok now I think I have it figured out using the AUX out. After trying to go through the usual Roland cryptic manual and stabbing in the dark I was able to set some parameters to get the AUX out to use the LFO as a trigger. I am sure there are a few more things I should tweak to maybe dial it in some more but it will be trail and error.

I would still like to figure out if I can get the MIDI out to work but maybe I am misunderstanding how the MIDI on this thing works.
JohnLRice
Synth Con Meo wrote:
Ok so I am just not getting it. I've been successful of plugging my Grandmother into the Q174 Midi Interface and taking the gate out to the shift input on the Q960. If I hit a key it will shift. So I ran the Arp on Hold mode and it was shifting the Q960.

But if I use the Midi out of the SBX-1 to the Q174 I can't seem to get a gate out of the gate output of the Q174. If I patch from the 3.5mm gate output of the SBX-1 to the Shift in on the Q960 it doesn't shift. But if I flip the Polarity switch on the SBX-1 down to the inverted square it will shift the Q960 one step but that's it.
I don't have (never had) a SBX-1 or Q174 but looking at the specs I'm guessing that your problem might be that the SBX-1 is only transmitting MIDI Clocks, not Note On/Off events and the Q174 doesn't produce gates from MIDI Clocks, it just creates gates for Note On/Off events? hmmm..... I thought that maybe the Q175 Aid module for the Q174 handled MIDI clock but it looks like it doesn't?

I use the Moon 553 to obtain analog clocks from a MIDI stream that has MIDI clocks in it.
http://www.lunar-experience.com/download/553.pdf

One thing to be aware of is that if the device producing MIDI clock doesn't also produce MIDI Start and Stop commands, the 553 wont produce clocks. So a drum machine or computer DAW will likely work but a keyboard with an arpeggiator that is producing clocks might not get the 553 to run if no Start/Stop commands are sent.

There is also the Grove Audio GMS-742 MIDI / CV Converter and oZoe.fr
MIDI2CV modules that produce analog clocks from MIDI clock but I haven't tried them.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1