MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

When good tinijax cables go bad
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author When good tinijax cables go bad
mutierend
I bought a bunch of tinijax cables from Foxtone (Black Market Modular) at a significant expense, and three of them have gone bad already. I'm not able to make my own cables (disability reasons), so what's the best alternative? Cables going bad in a performance or recording really sucks!

(Searches of past posts have said TipTop stackables are good, but TipTop changed their cable design since those post dates.)
jimfowler
I can make cables for you. Pm if yer interested. Cost is minimal, quality is high.

- Jim
mbleming
Have you reached out to Black Market Audio? I had one go bad on me and they were super helpful and replaced the cable immediately. They also mentioned having problems with a batch of them...I haven’t had any issues since.
Knarzwaltz
BUSA should keep the Buchla spirit and go back to the old originals. And also go back to Pomonas.
ArguZ
I can highly recommend Steffen's cables as they are super flexible , come in custom length and have a satisfying feel both on the plug and the cable itself.
mutierend
ArguZ wrote:
I can highly recommend Steffen's cables as they are super flexible , come in custom length and have a satisfying feel both on the plug and the cable itself.

They look great but importing them is pricey. :(
mutierend
mbleming wrote:
Have you reached out to Black Market Audio? I had one go bad on me and they were super helpful and replaced the cable immediately. They also mentioned having problems with a batch of them...I haven’t had any issues since.

I did, and they're sending me some replacements.
mathomas
You may not want to hear this, and I'm sure it's not news to you, but I'm running 3.5mm cables just fine. Not helpful, yeah?

BUT ... I bring it up because I am finding that I LOVE Tendrils cables, as I can run the audio as an "understory" to the banana forest. Haven't had any issues yet with many tens of hours of use home and live.

Knarzwaltz
ArguZ wrote:

Metal,, scratches the panels ..to heavy. Don used the cables he did for many good reasons in concept and aesthetics.... not only practical..... always the user in mind... Black Buchla market keeping the spirit.
mathomas
mutierend wrote:
mbleming wrote:

MY ASS IS BLEEDING Guinness ftw!
mutierend
mathomas wrote:
You may not want to hear this, and I'm sure it's not news to you, but I'm running 3.5mm cables just fine. Not helpful, yeah?

I have a bunch of 3.5mm cables from my eurorack. Modular Addict stackables, a bunch of braided ones, and more. They work, BUT sometimes they can make a scratchy noise because of a bad connection. It just depends on the module. On my older modules, they don't make a solid connection.
memes_33
yeah, 3.5mm sometimes take some nudging to get to work. stackables are a little better but still have intermittent drop-outs. i tried to only use stackcables for a while, and building my own modules and never using tini's, but still had issues. so i'm fully back to tini's, some Buchla branded but a lot of my own builds. i built a few more last night actually. of course, that doesn't help you at all, but just sharing my experience with stackcables vs. traditional 3.5mm vs. tinijax
mathomas
mutierend wrote:
mathomas wrote:

I have a bunch of 3.5mm cables from my eurorack. Modular Addict stackables, a bunch of braided ones, and more. They work, BUT sometimes they can make a scratchy noise because of a bad connection. It just depends on the module. On my older modules, they don't make a solid connection.

Right, totally a YMMV thing. I feel lucky I haven’t had issues. Maybe it’s because the Tendrils cables run so low to the panels and don’t get knocked around much if at all.
levelhead3
mutierend wrote:
mbleming wrote:

Can't vouch for longevity yet, but out of the 40+ black market cables I picked up only one was janky from the get-go, and the replacement was lightning fast.

Any molded cable is going to have the same problems though, maybe someone can/does make a plastic-sleeved plug connector?
jimfowler
The legit Switchcraft plugs are $4.00 and $5.00 (plastic and metal housings respectively) and you can easily make up your own serviceable cables. Or buy from Samodular or myself.
AutomaticGainsay
Black Market is incredibly helpful in regard to its cables. Instead of complaining on the Internet, you might have thought of just contacting them first. I happen to know that they have been really generous in regard to addressing the rare instance of such issues.
thetwlo
AutomaticGainsay wrote:
Black Market is incredibly helpful in regard to its cables. Instead of complaining on the Internet, you might have thought of just contacting them first. I happen to know that they have been really generous in regard to addressing the rare instance of such issues.

Foxtone/BM is great, But the OP just seems to need MORE reliable cables, they can trust/count on, getting more of the same (or a refund) isn't going to help.

Do the Black Market cables not use real switchcraft plugs? I thought that was the only advantage to that size, as 3.5mm(1/8") have so many variations for plugs and jacks from manufacturers, it's barely a standard.
AutomaticGainsay
thetwlo wrote:
Foxtone/BM is great, But the OP just seems to need MORE reliable cables, they can trust/count on, getting more of the same (or a refund) isn't going to help..

I'm encouraging the poster to pursue replacement NOT because I want to encourage a person to buy crap, and not because I couldn't quite work out that bad cables aren't a good investment, but rather because I use Black Market tinijax cables more than perhaps anyone in the world. Does that sound like a ridiculous claim?

In 2018, I tested over 700 Buchla modules and Buchla Easels. In that testing, every single tinijax jack was tested with a Black Market tinijax cable. And, I used, and AM STILL USING the same set of Black Market cables to test Buchla products. I have only experienced one cable that failed, and that was at the hands of a customer at a convention.

So, when I encourage the poster to pursue replacement, it's not because I somehow don't realize that people want quality products. It's because this is an uncommon situation in respect to a quality product.
mutierend
AutomaticGainsay wrote:

You know I respect you, but this comment is pretty inconsiderate and condescending. I have a performance coming up and I just want to make sure I have reliable cables. I didn't throw all my other BMM cables in the trash. I still use them. As a savvy consumer with tens of thousands of dollars invested in the Buchla ecosystem, I don't think it's unreasonable to want the cables to be high quality and reliable, nor do I think it's unreasonable to have cables from more than one manufacturer.

I am really happy to hear that you have used BMM cables and they have all worked great. That gives me hope for the remaining 40 or 50 in my collection. However, your BMM cables and experience using them do not have any impact on me, unless you want to send them to me.

And FWIW, I talked to Wes and he's sending me replacement cables.

I know it's easy to feel fatigue from being the public face of a product, and you get kind of beat up on a lot, but cut me some slack here. Why not say, "Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you may have gotten a few cables from a bad run, since your other ones aren't giving you a problem. How can I help?"
jimfowler
"Instead of complaining on the Internet..."

Please re-read his original post. He was asking for options and providing compelling reason for doing so which makes all kinds of sense to me and gives his question context. I don't have a dog in this fight (so to speak) but having gear crap out mid-performance is shitty on lots of levels and can be an absolute show derailer. "Works while testing modules" and "works while playing in front of people" is apples and oranges by comparison.
momo
AutomaticGainsay you have a remarkably unfriendly way about you.

Mutierend thanks for starting this thread and your good attitude in the face of that kind of a post. Cables are like socks - they wear out eventually, but there are good and bad socks... cool
mutierend
Update: the problem with the BMM cables is that the barrel is loose inside the sleeve. This happened to 3 of my 8" cables. Maybe the angle was too tight? Not sure.

No update from BMM on replacement cables yet.

For this Friday, I'm using some 3.5mm stackables that I bought from Modular Addict a while back. They're great, if a little loose. The only problem is they are yellow, like my bananas, so I get them confused. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
sanders
Knarzwaltz wrote:
BUSA should keep the Buchla spirit and go back to the old originals. And also go back to Pomonas.

+1
sanders
momo wrote:
AutomaticGainsay you have a remarkably unfriendly way about you

That’s a bit harsh; I don’t get that impression at all.

It would be really nice if the molded Switchcraft cables were available again someplace.
livefreela
Had a couple 8” fail too via the loose sleeve - all other sizes have been fine - maybe a bad batch seriously, i just don't get it

mutierend wrote:
Update: the problem with the BMM cables is that the barrel is loose inside the sleeve. This happened to 3 of my 8" cables. Maybe the angle was too tight? Not sure.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1