MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Marienberg Devices
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Marienberg Devices
josaka
Interesting great sounding modules.. just need a power solution..!
email pressure..?

http://marienbergdevices.de/en/

https://www.thomann.de/gb/marienberg_devices_oscillator_modules.html

Thalassa
Unless i am mistaken they are not MU. They look like MU but the panels don't follow the MU standard, they are narrower.
Thalassa
I've found the original post about Marienberg

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55636&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=0
Sugarfree
Marienberg 1U=2", so it's between MOTM and MU.
josaka
Thalassa wrote:
I've found the original post about Marienberg

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55636&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=0

a lot easier to buy now and a couple of vague demos at least smile thumbs up
JohnLRice
I think they make really interesting and high quality modules. As you might of seen in the other thread I have only one, the Sine Phase VCO.

One slight change I highly recommend they implement would be to make their panel mounting holes oblong, like I crudely did on mine in the image below, so that their modules can be easily center-mounted in any MU case. Of course having standard MU widths would be even better for all MU users but I can understand why they might not want to do that.

At a glance, especially from an angle, the skinny sub-MU module doesn't look too bad IMO.

Many years ago I inquired directly to Marienberg about possibly getting a Sine Phase VCO and they were good about getting back to me but at the time I wasn't able to make the purchase. When I finally decided to buy one last year I noticed that Thomann had one in stock so I bought it from them. I was disappointed that all my emails to Marienberg went unanswered though. seriously, i just don't get it

My first inquiry was about the power connector as I wanted to know which pins were which voltages but I wasn't too worried about figuring that out and synth friend John Fisher from the UK who has a full Marienberg system helped confirm some things. cool

But when one of the square wave outputs died they never responded either. hmmm..... The dealer Thomann was great though and always responded in a timely manner. thumbs up I eventually fixed the module myself (a chip had gone bad) but I still wonder if it died because of my usage (I was shifting a Moon 569 sequencer with the square output) or if it was just a coincidence?
josaka
on the website it says they dont really speak english.. (think they are east german so prolly wasnt the done thing at school for them.. ) I sent a mail a few years ago too..(no reply)
sales wise if they had .com connectors it would open an instant market..
bit like voting Brexit the way they have gone.. I get they want to sell power supplies for €300 + euros..
but they should go down the hordyk route.. sell systems with power and modules with .com.. makes the most sense.. shame.. I would buy some modules with .com power.. but not spending yet another 300€ on a power option for a few modules.
donpachi
josaka wrote:

bit like voting Brexit the way they have gone.. I get they want to sell power supplies for €300 + euros..
but they should go down the hordyk route.. sell systems with power and modules with .com.. makes the most sense.. shame.. I would buy some modules with .com power.. but not spending yet another 300€ on a power option for a few modules.

What I understood is that they are not aiming for highest sales numbers but for the best quality possible. I talked to Holger Marienberg a few years ago, also about their power solution. They are very serious about its performance specs. It may be intentional that their modules should be used with their power supply. They want to provide an excellent instrument.

Of couse I also understand that it is inconvenient to use their modules with an existing system. It should be possible to make an adapter cable, probably that's what JLR did?
JohnLRice
josaka wrote:
they should go down the hordyk route.. sell systems with power and modules with .com.. makes the most sense.. shame.. I would buy some modules with .com power.. but not spending yet another 300€ on a power option for a few modules.
Besides making their mounting holes oblong, they should offer at a reasonable cost Marienberg to DotCom power adapter cables, similar to this one I made, at least when it makes sense to do so*:

*Some of their modules only need +-15v so a cable adapter is a simple thing but some of their modules, like the digital ones (MIDI converters etc) need both a +5v AND a +3.3v rail so most people's power supplies wouldn't work with a simple adapter cable, and would need a little adapter PCB with +5v and +3.3v regulator circuits, or at least a +3.3v circuit.

There is also something a bit mysterious about what 'quality' of power their modules need? hmmm..... On Thomann's site they state "Can only be operated with Marienberg Devices power supply units!" but I assumed that was because certain modules need the +5v and especially +3.3v rails and it's easier from a dealer's standpoint to just say people must use a Marienberg supply but now I'm not so sure. I say this because while the Sine Phase VCO I have works great with the typical Power-One linear supplies I use in my modular cases, it didn't work correctly with my fancy bench supply and I'm at a loss to understand why! seriously, i just don't get it The bench supply is a Rigol DP832 and I've probably powered over 50 different 5U and eurorack modules with it and have never noticed a problem but the Marienberg Sine Phase VCO wouldn't work with it . . . it appeared to power up but wouldn't oscillate! eek! confused I quadruple checked everything I could think of but it just wouldn't work so to trouble shoot the output failure on one channel of it I used an old linear DotCom QPS2 I had around which worked fine. Really weird that the Rigol didn't work . . . confused Dead Banana
Dave Peck
JohnLRice wrote:
it didn't work correctly with my fancy bench supply and I'm at a loss to understand why! seriously, i just don't get it The bench supply is a Rigol DP832 and I've probably powered over 50 different 5U and eurorack modules with it and have never noticed a problem but the Marienberg Sine Phase VCO wouldn't work with it . . . it appeared to power up but wouldn't oscillate! eek! confused I quadruple checked everything I could think of but it just wouldn't work so to trouble shoot the output failure on one channel of it I used an old linear DotCom QPS2 I had around which worked fine. Really weird that the Rigol didn't work . . . confused Dead Banana

It could possible be related to power-up sequence issues. For example, some Hordijk modules occasionally won't power up depending on which rail goes 'on' slightly sooner than the other rail. It's not an issue when using his complete systems, but can be an issue if you are using an individual Hordijk module in a 'mixed' system with some other type of power supply.
JohnLRice
Dave Peck wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
it didn't work correctly with my fancy bench supply and I'm at a loss to understand why! seriously, i just don't get it The bench supply is a Rigol DP832 and I've probably powered over 50 different 5U and eurorack modules with it and have never noticed a problem but the Marienberg Sine Phase VCO wouldn't work with it . . . it appeared to power up but wouldn't oscillate! eek! confused I quadruple checked everything I could think of but it just wouldn't work so to trouble shoot the output failure on one channel of it I used an old linear DotCom QPS2 I had around which worked fine. Really weird that the Rigol didn't work . . . confused Dead Banana

It could possible be related to power-up sequence issues. For example, some Hordijk modules occasionally won't power up depending on which rail goes 'on' slightly sooner than the other rail. It's not an issue when using his complete systems, but can be an issue if you are using an individual Hordijk module in a 'mixed' system with some other type of power supply.
Ahh, thanks for the suggestion Dave, I didn't consider that! d'oh! And I should have since I ran into that issue with a eurorack reverb module that wouldn't 'boot up' if the +12v rail came on before the -12v rail! meh
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1