MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What are people using for small 5U controllers?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author What are people using for small 5U controllers?
Sir Ruff
In the market for something that sits comfortably in front of a 3P style case. Would prefer a barebones controller on the smaller side--2-3 octaves--but would also totally be fine with another synth that just happens to spit out the appropriate CV/Gate (e.g., minibrute/microbrute?)

What are people using to control their modulars?
Rex Coil 7
Sir Ruff wrote:
In the market for something that sits comfortably in front of a 3P style case. Would prefer a barebones controller on the smaller side--2-3 octaves--but would also totally be fine with another synth that just happens to spit out the appropriate CV/Gate (e.g., minibrute/microbrute?)

What are people using to control their modulars?
61 key Dot Com controller. There's also the Dot Com 3oct kybd.
hamildad
Just getting settled in with a ROLI Seaboard Rise 25 & a Doepfer MCV4.

I tried to hack a small USB MIDI host board to the Doepfer, but it never worked, so now its got a laptop in the middle... not perfect, but having note,gate,velo,aftertouch & CC01 all available is nice.

Would love a nice CV outputting keyboard but wanting to push through with the Seaboard to git guid.
Rex Coil 7
hamildad wrote:
Just getting settled in with a ROLI Seaboard Rise 25 & a Doepfer MCV4.
I thought those only worked reliably with that VST synth that comes with the Seaboard?
TimeRaveler
I find the Nord Lead 2X paired with the Dotcom Midi to be a pretty great controller for my MU system. It has an awesome pitch stick (wood with no deadline) and wheel. You can split the keyboard to send to Midi Ch 1 + 2. It sends the arpeggiator as individual midi notes. The only thing its missing is aftertouch.
Rex Coil 7
Dot Com QKB37 (QKB61):

* After touch.
* Attack velocity.
* Release velocity.
* 4 MIDI "split" zones (all/any zones may overlap).
* MIDI merge input (5 pin DIN).
* FATAR TP/9S keybed (metal framed).
* Optional solid walnut sides and top.
* Built to outlive you.
Sir Ruff
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Dot Com QKB37 (QKB61):

Looks great, but my biggest issue with this (aside from cost) is that I don't have a MIDI>CV interface on my modular.
Rex Coil 7
Sir Ruff wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Dot Com QKB37 (QKB61):

Looks great, but my biggest issue with this (aside from cost) is that I don't have a MIDI>CV interface on my modular.
For around the price of one of the lesser costly modules you can have a MIDI-CV converter. There's one all the cool kids use these days ... I think it's called the "CV-OCD" or perhaps it's the "OCD-CV". In any case, I believe it's less than $100 and it seems to be what A LOT of people use. Personally I use Kenton MIDI-CV converters but that's because I'm old (58).

HOWEVER;

I think if you just got yourself a MIDI-CV converter a lot of options would open up to you. You would be able to use any MIDI controller that way, as well as MIDI sequencer(s) and/or computer sequencer(s). So I'd start there if it were me.

seriously, i just don't get it
ranix
the synthesizers.com midi interface is my favorite to use for manual midi control. It has a bunch of useful features like note priority and portamento, arpeggiator, and midi merge on the aid module
Rex Coil 7
ranix wrote:
the synthesizers.com midi interface is my favorite to use for manual midi control. It has a bunch of useful features like note priority and portamento, arpeggiator, and midi merge on the aid module
I seem to recall some complaints about the Q174 ... something about crashes/rebooting or something.

????? hmmm.....
ranix
I haven't had any such issues myself, but I do not control it from a DAW ever, I use it for playing manually. I switch to a different midi->cv channel on a different converter when playing a track from the daw.
Sir Ruff
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
For around the price of one of the lesser costly modules you can have a MIDI-CV converter. There's one all the cool kids use these days ... I think it's called the "CV-OCD" or perhaps it's the "OCD-CV". In any case, I believe it's less than $100 and it seems to be what A LOT of people use. Personally I use Kenton MIDI-CV converters but that's because I'm old (58)

I should clarify, I DO have a MIDI>CV unit (Kenton Pro II) that would totally work fine, but I use it with my other monos and so was trying to find the simplest all-in-one option that would cut down on having to buy both another converter and a controller, e.g., a cheapo microbrute.

Saying that, the CV.OCD looks pretty great so if I can decide on a basic controller maybe I'll go that route.
Rex Coil 7
ranix wrote:
I haven't had any such issues myself, but I do not control it from a DAW ever, I use it for playing manually. I switch to a different midi->cv channel on a different converter when playing a track from the daw.
Yea, and with the search function fuddup here in the forum it's tough to locate what I read a few times about the Q174. It may have been something people that are interested in "sample accurate timing" that got up in a huff about it. Can't recall.

hmmm.....
sduck
Currently I have a keystep that really works well for both the euro and 5U. If you don't mind the small size, it otherwise works quite well.

What I've been eyeing currently is the novation SL mkIII - probabably the 61 key version - 2 cv/gate out sets, sequencer, all the bells and whistles.
Sir Ruff
sduck wrote:
Currently I have a keystep that really works well for both the euro and 5U. If you don't mind the small size, it otherwise works quite well.

What I've been eyeing currently is the novation SL mkIII - probabably the 61 key version - 2 cv/gate out sets, sequencer, all the bells and whistles.

Keystep was also on my list and, TBH, may be the best option overall. That novation looks fantastic, but I wouldn't have room for it.
Rex Coil 7
Sir Ruff wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
For around the price of one of the lesser costly modules you can have a MIDI-CV converter. There's one all the cool kids use these days ... I think it's called the "CV-OCD" or perhaps it's the "OCD-CV". In any case, I believe it's less than $100 and it seems to be what A LOT of people use. Personally I use Kenton MIDI-CV converters but that's because I'm old (58)

I should clarify, I DO have a MIDI>CV unit (Kenton Pro II) that would totally work fine, but I use it with my other monos and so was trying to find the simplest all-in-one option that would cut down on having to buy both another converter and a controller, e.g., a cheapo microbrute.

Saying that, the CV.OCD looks pretty great so if I can decide on a basic controller maybe I'll go that route.
Just so you know;

I've had Microbrutes and Minibrutes (four of each .... uh... call it a "phase" I went through). There's an odd glitch in those 'Brutes .... they transpose the CV output (either up or down) by two entire octaves! So you hook them all up as controllers, hit C2 on the kybd and what comes from the speakers is C4 instead!! This is a very common complaint with the 'Brute synths as well as the Beatstep and Beatstep Pro. Something about Arturia using a different MIDI note referencing middle C, and it makes the CV output two entire octaves out of whack.

If memory serves, AKAI makes a little 2 octave MIDI controller that has CV out. Then again, if you go with that CV.OCD thing it won't matter which two octave controller you select!

thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
I love my Keystep btw. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
ranix
two octaves and a half step if I remember right, it's really annoying. I still like my original brute though
Rex Coil 7
ranix wrote:
two octaves and a half step if I remember right, it's really annoying
Ain't that a bitch!

ranix wrote:
I still like my original brute though
I miss mine ... especially the MicroBrute(s) ... for some reason it seems to sound different (better?) than the Minibrute.

I really liked the "SkiniBrute" kit I put on one of my Minibrutes. I special ordered it in hard maple without any finish, then used Rustoleum Spray-on Truck Bedliner on it.

josaka
ranix wrote:

yep.. very basic without the aid.. doesnt go below C1..
pitchbend is 1 octave.. cant change it..
crashes quite regularly..
should be clock options on the aid not only an input jack..

CV.ocd has a lot more options .. is cheaper. tons of outputs/control ..wide range pitchwheel 3 or 4 octave?

the kentons pro4/pro2/pro2 etc dont crash and have a ton of options + rock solid.. 2+ octave pitchrange ..keys go below C1

the KORG SQ1 is great value for a two CV/GATE option + sequencer hard to beat for the cash.. not many midi/cv options. still..A no brainer.

tanzbar Drum machine.. 2 cv/gate outs.. + sequencers. havent tested the cv side much tbf.

tip 1.. get a patchbay for your CV.. !
boothnavy
Akai Max25.

Has 1/4" cv/gate out, sequencer, and arpeggiator.
DrReverendSeance
I’ve been using an Elektron Monomachine through Encore Electronics Midi2Cv.

The Monomachine can be played as a keyboard or can be a 12 track sequencer.

For real small I use a Korg SQ1. It is a great little sequencer! I hear the SQ1 can also act as a Midi2Cv module though I’ve never tried it.
josaka
DrReverendSeance wrote:

For real small I use a Korg SQ1. It is a great little sequencer! I hear the SQ1 can also act as a Midi2Cv module though I’ve never tried it.

yep.. A dual channel one in fact smile
kindredlost
I still use a Novation ReMOTE SL37. It is the original first edition (10 years old now) and still is as responsive and dependable as ever. It is the perfect size (width wise) for me but there is no cv/gate output. I don't need it since I have several midi/cv modules now. It has aftertouch.

I also like the Keystep for it excellent functionality but the Novation keyboard action is top tier and leagues better in comparison if you are a keyboard player.

The Keystep has cv/gate which is a perfect solution for most modular setups in need of a simple but powerful keyboard. Hard to beat.
Sir Ruff
josaka wrote:
DrReverendSeance wrote:

yep.. A dual channel one in fact smile

Oh... interesting. I already have one but haven't put through it's paces at all yet.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2