MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Experimental Plant Music
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Author Experimental Plant Music
lauprellim
Hello, my friend and I spent an afternoon improvising with this plant and a shakuhachi. Maybe you will find this odd, unusual or even pleasurable. The module doing the plant interface is, of course, Instruo's Scion -- a fascinating module to say the least. The percussion sounds are produced by Plonk and Basimilus Iteritas Alter, with some low creepy sounds by the Pittsburgh Modular Primary Oscillators.

We have more work to do on this patch, but for the time being we thought somebody here might enjoy it.

http://theoryofpaul.net/eurorack/tipp-miller-plant-improvisation-no-3. mp4
nklif
i was like 190mb mp4... hmm, okay. Then, awesome! HD super unique performance with an awesome wind instrument and plant. That's a new sentence. keep it up. I'm guess the beats and sounds were all triggered by the plant... too cool!
lauprellim
nklif wrote:
i was like 190mb mp4... hmm, okay. Then, awesome! HD super unique performance with an awesome wind instrument and plant. That's a new sentence. keep it up. I'm guess the beats and sounds were all triggered by the plant... too cool!

Thank you so much for your words. Yes, it’s a big file...sorry about that. All those sounds were triggered via the CV and gate outputs on Scion. This is very much a work in progress and I’ll be tweaking the patch over the next few weeks. The shakuhachi is a very intriguing instrument, a subtle and wonderful voice to go along with the synthesizer.
nklif
No, I'm actually glad it had a good HD quality and sound was nice too. But that's so cool, everything was triggered by the Scion. Yes, please keep working on this and sharing it because the shakuhachi + synth is amazing.
Superaction80
Yeah! Really nice stuff. The patch itself is a really cool counter texture to the shakuhachi. But they also mirror each other, where the Plonk strikes bunch up in spots, while the flute has those fun, idiomatic volume/pitch swells.

Your video also is right in my wheelhouse this week because I was stopping by to post this:

https://youtu.be/XXfHnqAtnu4

Maybe your Scion and my bat detector need to join forces SlayerBadger!
lauprellim
Holy Moses! The batcall patch is fantastic! Wonderfully creative way to make music. Thanks so much for sharing your work.
Superaction80
Thanks! Apparently there are nectarivorous bats that drink nectar from flowers. Possible perfect setting for the SD2 and the Scion.
Virusinstaller
Super cool patch. I built a DIY midi sprout. So much fun!
lauprellim
Thank you very much Mr. Virusinstaller! We are purchasing a midisprout in the next month or so, and look forward to working with it. Congratulations on your build. Are the plans online? I’m quite curious to analyze the circuit design.
forrest
Intense! SlayerBadger! hehe.. I love how it answers back, reminds me of a book I read, "the secret life of plants".. Maybe you know of it?
lauprellim
Hi Forrest! Thanks a lot for your comment!

“The Secret Life of Plants” was a somewhat sensationalist 1973 book by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird that suggested plants were capable of many things they are not. As Michael Pollan noted in his December 2013 New Yorker essay, the scientific community reacted so negatively against this book that it discouraged a lot of research on plant sensation and intelligence which might have taken a more realistic approach to the question. Fortunately, within the last decade or so, a great deal of work has come out that is based on somewhat firmer footing than Tompkins/Bird.

My experiments with Scion and plants have been very, very interesting. Just from my first few patches, I’ve gotten the sense that certain plants have have a kind of uncanny ability to sense when they are being touched or when the hand casts a shadow on their leaves. I think many folks have seen and heard similar things, as the Scion is an unusually fascinating module that deserves every bit of praise! I am just trying to learn more about all this and hoping I have the time this summer to really sit down and try some more stuff out!

BTW I lived in Boulder for 4 years, just up from Pearl street. Miss the place A LOT.
forrest
Very cool, I remember reading it and thinking, this seems a little half-baked, but it got me thinking about it none the less. Plants certainly do communicate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_perception_(physiology))

Boulder is great, but I bet it's changed a lot if you haven't been in a couple years, google just moved in and it's a bit of a mad house, the mountains are still beautiful as ever though.

Thanks for your observations! I love the Instruo Harmonaig, makes me want to check out the Scion more.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Page 1 of 1