MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SSL Serge USG - Coming Soon!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author SSL Serge USG - Coming Soon!
dslocum
We've waited long enough.....

Finally - A SERGE USG (Universal Slope Generator) in MU format!

I'm trying to figure out how many I should make for this first production run. So who wants one? $299. I'd like to get a $200 deposit if you're interested. PM for details.

Do the MATHS!!!!! Miley Cyrus

This is a recently re-engineered USG featuring a significant advance when used as an envelope generator or slew.

Unlike previous models, the new USG allows changing the shape of the attack and/or decay segments from linear to exponential (+ and -), while keeping the total duration of the envelope within bounds. The sound is thereby shaped but doesn't overly affect its duration, affording a way of molding sounds unavailable previously.

Also, Tempco stability is another of the new USG's features..

Sugarfree
Since this is not a Dual USG, it looks like 2U could hold much more functionality. You might want to include a jack for RISE+FALL CV. Then, it would be 2x5 jacks. Better looking IMO. (the 3x3 grid looks odd)

Did you think about making SERGE DUAL SLOPE GENERATOR MK2 XL?
http://randomsource.net/serge

also, instead of (+)EXP and (-)EXP, I suggest that you use EXP and LOG wink
and it's "bipolar", not "bi polar"
Sugarfree
what does your PEAK output do? which signals are compared?
ba1
Looks good, but personally I'd be more interested in a dual USG in 2hp. I already have the Synthcube DUSG and Corsynth C106 so unfortunately not a lot of real estate left for this. If the SSL USG were dual though, I'd swap out my synthcube DUSG based on looks alone! The synthcube DUSG does work great though, just not my aesthetic.

Maybe you could offer a dual version using controvercial slider pots... hihi Looks like it could all fit! They could share a combined out.
ba1
Even better than sliders... If a a dual USG were laid out similar to the Analog Craftsman acQA/R, it could fit 12 pots and 20 jacks.

I like the knobs that you use on the Seguencer and some of your other 1 MU modules. In close proximity they'd allow slightly more finger room than the knobs used on the acQA/R.

I WOULD DEFINITELY BUY ONE!!! w00t
Sugarfree
ba1
Looks good, but this is pretty close to the Synthcube DUSG. I like the independent shape and separate rise and fall cv pots on Doug's design.
josaka
yep dual/DUSG for me as well..
Rich's Lower west side studios already existing one has the nicest design for me..

Sugarfree
BTW, having a FALL GATE output can be used as a gate delay/length processor.

I agree that only a half of a DUSG is not as appealing.
Sugarfree
even without dedicated knobs for shape, you can get a LOG/EXP bend by self-modulating through the CV input.

This wouldn't preserve the total duration of the envelope though.
ba1
josaka wrote:
yep dual/DUSG for me as well..
Rich's Lower west side studios already existing one has the nicest design for me..

Oh Cool! Rich added the Loop switch since his initial design. I could see sending him my Synthcube DUSG to re-panel. Rich/LWSS does excellent work!

Still, I think I'd prefer a dual version of what Doug is proposing. The C106 is almost there, but doesn't work well as an Osc and the EXP-LOG shape controls do greatly effect the rise/fall times. Would be nice to see a demo of The SSL version with the shape control under cv.
josaka
yep ..the synthcube designs are not for me either.
and the 'loop' is integral. ! !
Neovintage
I agree with a dual version. Why not 3U?
Four rows with time, shape and mod and 2 rows of 7or 8 jacks at the bottom.
I also want a video to ser the behaviour of your shape control.
dslocum
Great suggestions and comments everyone! Thanks!

The "Peak" pulse output emits a pulse (= a gate) whenever the slope changes from positive to negative.

Seems we have 100% consensus for a dual unit. I originally tried to squeeze a DUSG into 2 MU but there's just no way to keep all the features - even with the dreaded slide pots! There's lots of possibilities with 3 MU, so this obviously raises the price bar (not sure how much ATM). I'm open to your usual brilliant layout suggestions / mockups.

The new separate Shape pots really add a lot of functionality to the USG particularly when using it an slew or envelope applications, it's amazing. Yeah, you could probably patch something up to get that, but that would quickly eat modules and patch cords, and not have the same instant gratification factor!
Jari Jokinen
How about a 3U dual USG? No need to cut features and takes less room than 2 X 2U. EDIT: I see you are already considering that.
Rex Coil 7
... the pursuit of the 5U MATHS continues ...

Sugarfree
did someone say MATHS???

dslocum
Sugarfree wrote:
did someone say MATHS???

eek! woah Never maintain cash savings again
dslocum
So while I love the MU format and REALLY try to stay within traditional layout boundaries, it gets very difficult to layout panels.

My perception is that cabinet space is very important, so I've tried to create modules that are sensitive to that. I have relatively small fingers and I don't mind twiddling a bit.

Round knobs sometimes work, other times, not. Some guys don't mind sliders, other times it kills sales and adoption.

I'l like your input. I'm sure this has been discussed before, and maybe we should move this thread. I'm open.
JohnLRice
Sugarfree wrote:
did someone say MATHS???

Beautiful panel renders! thumbs up
Sugarfree
a draft of how DUSG could fit in 3U. Function set based on Random Source SERGE DUAL SLOPE GENERATOR MK2 XL.

Jari Jokinen
Sugarfree wrote:
Function set based on Random Source SERGE DUAL SLOPE GENERATOR MK2 XL.

EDITED: Random Source version has improved audio range and tracking. Those features would make no harm.
Sugarfree
yes, I was wondering if @dslocum was going to use the Random Source design or develop a new pcb for 5U.
JohnLRice
Some new hullabaloo, Behringer "maths"?
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219562
Prunesquallor
dslocum wrote:
Finally - A SERGE USG (Universal Slope Generator) in MU format!

This is a recently re-engineered USG featuring a significant advance when used as an envelope generator or slew.

Unlike previous models, the new USG allows changing the shape of the attack and/or decay segments from linear to exponential (+ and -), while keeping the total duration of the envelope within bounds. The sound is thereby shaped but doesn't overly affect its duration, affording a way of molding sounds unavailable previously.

Also, Tempco stability is another of the new USG's features..

Wow! These improvements sound great! I'm intrigued about the 'reengineering' part, in particular how you got the frequency to stabilise while changing attack/decay shape. Is this a mod of existing CGS boards?

I take it Serge has approved this redesign and is getting royalties? I'd certainly look forward to similar mods in 4U.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2