MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MU PCBs as Front Panels????
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author MU PCBs as Front Panels????
dslocum
I think I already know the answer, but here goes....

At SSL, we use a MetalPhoto process for our front panels. We are generally very happy with the results, however...

MetalPhoto aluminum MU style front panels, with the structural bends, etc are getting a good deal more expensive, unfortunately. This has a substantial effect on the price of our modules.

We could produce less expensive modules if we used PCB technology to emulate the look of traditional panels, and shore them up mechanically.

What are your thoughts about MU panels made with PCBs?
Faustgeist
Ive a few in Euro with PCB panels. That format lends to some whacky combinations... so sure, I am game. thumbs up

I might be outnumbered tho, heh.
~R
Dave Peck
I think it may depend a lot on what kind of finish would be applied to the panel.

Textured black paint, to match the paint of things like Dotcom modules?

If so, the appearance of the raw material would be irrelevant (except for the lack of bends) and you might be able to use something even less expensive that PCB FR-4 material.
JohnLRice
I'd say a big NOPE but . . I REALLY am trying to not buy any more modules ever again meh hihi so my opinion probably isn't a concern? oops I tend to avoid PCB panels with eurorack modules as they don't look or feel as nice to me as aluminum panels.

Have you considered doing more of a MOTM-ish panel that is just thicker flat aluminum with MU widths and mounting holes? Rob Hordijk does this for his modules. While likely not as inexpensive as PCB panels, maybe less expensive then standard thin 'n folded MU panels?
Dave Peck
.....or.... Maybe you just need help finding a better supplier for your metal panels. I may be able to help. This kind of thing is one aspect of my job. PM me if interested.
ranix
I'll buy any module that does what I need if no other module does it, but I would prefer a standard aluminum panel over a PCB panel even if the aluminum panel were unpainted with hand-drawn graphics and labels and hand-drilled holes.

I have absolutely nothing against PCB panels in eurorack though. Or dead-bug aluminum panels in 5U, I am actually also fine with this.

Like JLR I have also more or less completed my modular and am avoiding buying new modules.
synthetic
I wouldn't buy an MU module without the bent metal panel.
Eric the Red
At MU size would t these be rather flimsy? In euro land NLC uses PCBs as panels and Andrew does a love.y job designing them
Sugarfree
I can barely stand the all-blacks panels, without silver flanges, so no.
Mark11Audio
I would rather pay the small upcharge to keep the panels the way they are. So my answer would also be, "no."
Rex Coil 7
... not "no", but HELLS no, Bubba! ...
Rex Coil 7
JohnLRice wrote:
I'd say a big NOPE but . . I REALLY am trying to not buy any more modules ever again meh hihi ....

ranix wrote:
... Like JLR I have also more or less completed my modular and am avoiding buying new modules.

Uh huh ... y'know ... if you guys repeat that enough times you might actually start to believe it.

lol w00t hihi

help help help
Stereotactixxx
That would VERY definitely be a deal breaker.
But then again, I'm not your biggest customer, owning only one SSL module so far.
hsosdrum
PCB front panels would be a 100% deal-breaker for me. A big part of why I fell in love with 5U is that a synthesizer assembled with modules from different manufacturers still looks like a single unified musical instrument. A front-panel in such a different design would prevent me from adding the module to my synthesizer, no matter how well the module performed or how good it sounded.

Although I can't speak for anyone else, if you offered 2 versions of the same exact module — one with a conventional 5U front panel and one with a PCB front panel for 25% less, I would spend the extra 25% every single time.
Sugarfree
to add to the discussion, for me it's not only about panels.
Undersized, non-standard (cheaper) knobs and unbalanced, overcrowded panels (3 jacks per row in 1U) are deal breakers as well.
synthetic
Remember when STG made MOTM panels, but there were some jacks in the middle of the module instead of all on the bottom? There was a small riot.

5U guys are old and set in their ways. Sounds like something my grey skullet ponytail would get stuck on wink
Voltage_Controller
I have a bugbrand synthvoice, and the pcb panel works great for banana frac. Actually better than great - its super great. Doesnt scratch, doesnt bend, looks cool.

I am not sure if it would scale up to MU size and maintain those qualities but its worth trying! Do a short run and let us know what you discover! Hopefully its not too bendy with the (sometimes) tight 1/4" jacks.
coyoteous
Sugarfree wrote:
to add to the discussion, for me it's not only about panels.
Undersized, non-standard (cheaper) knobs and unbalanced, overcrowded panels (3 jacks per row in 1U) are deal breakers as well.

Agreed(-ish), but I'm OK with the latter because of this:

I have three jacks across a single-space (not "U" or "hp," but whatever) MU/Moog-format modules from COTK, .COM, STG, Happy Nerding and S.S. Labs (looks a little "Nazi" like that... not intended, just like to differentiate with Solid State Logic... remember, it's Steam Synth too, right?).

Guess I wouldn't want all 1 mu modules to be like that... but some?

Sure.

I also have mixed feelings about FSFX "black flanges w/tabs" panels, but don't have any either.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind seeing what Doug is talking about... then rejecting.
kindredlost
dslocum wrote:
MetalPhoto aluminum MU style front panels, with the structural bends, etc are getting a good deal more expensive, unfortunately. This has a substantial effect on the price of our modules.

Charge for the inflated material cost. It's worth it.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1