MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dove Audio Waveplane oscillator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Dove Audio Waveplane oscillator
PaulaM
We have something a bit different for you again.

This time we've created a 'waveplane' oscillator, it's essentially a 6 dimensional wavetable. Traditional wavetables are linear, you move forward or backward in a series of waveforms.
With the wave plane, not only do you move in both X and Y directions (A bit like the wavestation or prophet VS) but EACH of the four corner waveforms also has it's own CV controllable wavetable.

We're making it for both MU and Eurorack as we did with our WTF oscillator, you can see more here and hear some demos - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulamaddox/waveplane-oscillator- module-for-euro-or-mu-modular

I created a short demo (in addition to the kickstarter video) showing the sort power you can get when using a sequencer with the waveplane oscillator here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i3WUCUxTRU

and Finally, DivKid was kind enough to do a "first patch" video for the module here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6ZIarOtJbs

Many thanks!
Paula
Sugarfree
sorry, this layout is a deal breaker for me. Too unbalanced and self-indulgent for MU.

PeterDeVault
I just watched the video - very cool! Just begging for the SSL Quad LFO to sit alongside it.
Rex Coil 7
Sugarfree wrote:
sorry, this layout is a deal breaker for me. Too unbalanced and self-indulgent for MU.

"too self indulgent for MU" ??? wha??

Speak for yourself!

I like the layout. It's different than the plain old grid layouts, and I like that.

I'm sure you'll sell all you can build!

thumbs up thumbs up
PaulaM
Thanks, I appreciate that the layout isn't for everyone.
It's difficult to get that many sockets and knobs onto a panel smile
josaka
Quote:
Speak for yourself!

yep.. the 5u.. it must not brake the rules ia alive and well...
vive la difference..

I am struggling here to find a reason for another 3u osc for £475 that has the same sound as the 2u WTF osc..?

still hacking my 2 fritz DDVCO to death.. smile
Stereotactixxx
PaulaM wrote:

After having watched the video, I find the layout very logical. I don't get the choice of MOTM style knobs, but I could probably live with that considering how cool every other aspect of this module is.
Rex Coil 7
PaulaM wrote:
Pffft .... tell me about it! ... (this is an MU panel, 6MU spaces wide, contains 8MU of modules in a 6MU panel ... things get crowded in a hurry) ....

Aside from the layout, what inspired the sortof "3D" wave plane notion this module uses??

hmmm..... hmmm.....

Stereotactixxx wrote:
PaulaM wrote:

After having watched the video, I find the layout very logical. I don't get the choice of MOTM style knobs, but I could probably live with that considering how cool every other aspect of this module is.
You can always change the knobs to something that suits your tastes. They're just knobs.

seriously, i just don't get it
PaulaM
josaka wrote:

I am struggling here to find a reason for another 3u osc for £475 that has the same sound as the 2u WTF osc..?

it's quite a different concept, with the waveplane you have a 2 dimensional morph (think Prophet VS/korg wavestation) but also each of the 4 corner waves is a wavetable. Hook up 6 LFOs and you'll have a waveform that will change and rarely, if ever, be the same.
PaulaM
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Pffft .... tell me about it! ... (this is an MU panel, 6MU spaces wide, contains 8MU of modules in a 6MU panel ... things get crowded in a hurry) ....

taht's quite some module.

Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Aside from the layout, what inspired the sortof "3D" wave plane notion this module uses??

I've no idea where the concept came from in all honesty, just a random idea one morning.

Rex Coil 7 wrote:

You can always change the knobs to something that suits your tastes. They're just knobs.

you could indeed, and had the dotcom knobs been more easily obtainable I would've used those, but they're really hard to find.

Paula
Sugarfree
PaulaM wrote:

I didn't mean to offend anybody, sorry if I have. I simply stated my preference.
I do see a problem though, when eye-candy undermines the easy-of-use, e.g. making the UI too crowded.

Why do you have to have a display at all? We've had complex wave-shaping modules forever (e.g. Oakley Discontinuity). If you want to see a waveform, you just plug in an oscilloscope. If every module tries to include a scope of its own, there will be a lot of wasted space in the system. Just look at MI Plaits. Could they have included a screen? Sure. Would it have compromised the pristine functional UI? Definitely.

I also think that designing a good synth module requires a different attitude than a standalone synthesizer. In a modular system you have to think how your module will play with the others. If you do a standalone synth, then by all means, be a rebel. How many of you are fans of Marienberg modules which are narrower than standard MU?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=216282
hsosdrum
PaulaM wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

you could indeed, and had the dotcom knobs been more easily obtainable I would've used those, but they're really hard to find.

Just buy the kits and convert a half-dozen Dotcom Q106s to Q106As like I did — you'll wind up with a bag full of knobs! Never maintain cash savings again
Rex Coil 7
PaulaM wrote:
....you could indeed, and had the dotcom knobs been more easily obtainable I would've used those, but they're really hard to find.

Paula
I have over 100 on hand ... true to life Dot Com knobs (phenolic type, not funky cheapo plastic).

PM me if you need a few .... we can work out something.

thumbs up

Rex Coil 7
PaulaM wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

taht's quite some module. Paula
Thanks. It two VCOs, two 6ch VCO waveform mixers, two VCO "Aid" modules (in each panel, there are two panels). I actually made two of those dual VCO voice panels, they are identical. All of the back panel jumper options have been moved to the front and controlled by toggle switches. There are also four ring modulators built in to the works (diode/transistor type, with LEDs as diodes). The entire synth is a Dot Com based "performance modular", all of the jacks have been replaced with switching jacks, the entire synth is normalized so that over 80% of the patches I use require no patch cables. There's a project thread about it somewhere here in the "5U" subforum.

sduck
I love it! The module sound, and the layout. I'm all in favor of bending the "rules", such as they are. Of course, I'm in with MOTM style 5U, not MU. Like RexC7, I've made quite a few oddball modules -

Dual Wogglebug front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr

J3RK Dual Complex VCO front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr
ranix
Sugarfree wrote:
Why do you have to have a display at all?

such a display doesn't belong on an MU module in my opinion either, and as far as I can see it doesn't output any useful information.

morphing between multiple wavetables is cool though

I like the concept. It's a good module. Probably not for me but I can see why I might want one. If this was your goal replicating it in a patch would take like 12 VCAs. I checked, I think I could actually make a patch based on this idea. Two sounds in each of four quadrants...

These kinds of ideas really want an X/Y joystick
PeterDeVault
ranix wrote:

Precisely - I happen to have one of these and would like a second:
PaulaM
ranix wrote:
Sugarfree wrote:
Why do you have to have a display at all?

such a display doesn't belong on an MU module in my opinion either, and as far as I can see it doesn't output any useful information.

Well, it hasn't harmed sales of the WTF module in MU format.

I do what I feel is right for my designs, I know from past experience that no matter you do you will never please everyone, so I feel it's important to what you believe is right.

As for the mutable stuff, actually yes, some of the modules I would love have had displays rather than simple LEDs. But that's Emilie's choice and I won't berate her for choosing to do what she feels is right.

ranix wrote:
I like the concept. It's a good module. Probably not for me but I can see why I might want one. If this was your goal replicating it in a patch would take like 12 VCAs. I checked, I think I could actually make a patch based on this idea. Two sounds in each of four quadrants...

and do you have four wavetable modules for each corner as well (remember each corner has it's own wavetable too) ?

ranix wrote:

I don't want to design what already exists smile

Paula
Sugarfree
I'm probably missing the point, how does this module sound different than any other wavetable oscillator with interpolation between banks and rows?
If you add two CVs, one for scanning the rows and one for banks, the sonic result will be exactly the same type of plane. If you patch a joystick, there's your physical 2-axis plane.

What am I missing here?
Jari Jokinen
PeterDeVault wrote:
ranix wrote:

Precisely - I happen to have one of these and would like a second:

How is the Analog Craftsman joystick "mask"? Is it round or four-corner?

Is the joystick sprung?
PaulaM
Sugarfree wrote:
I'm probably missing the point, how does this module sound different than any other wavetable oscillator with interpolation between banks and rows?
If you add two CVs, one for scanning the rows and one for banks, the sonic result will be exactly the same type of plane. If you patch a joystick, there's your physical 2-axis plane.

What am I missing here?

not really, you have 6 axis with the waveplane module (X, Y and each corner).
Here's a video explaining some more -
josaka
PaulaM wrote:
Sugarfree wrote:

What am I missing here?

not really, you have 6 axis with the waveplane module (X, Y and each corner).
Here's a video explaining some more - [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i3WUCUxTRU[/video]

remove the 's' from https://

PaulaM
josaka wrote:

remove the 's' from https://

Thanks.
ranix
Sugarfree wrote:

What am I missing here?

I think there are two sounds in each corner that you can also morph between in addition to being able to morph between corners. The way the display emits information is a little confusing to me, I would expect the display to show something 3d if there are 6 axes of movement. Here's the best approximation I could come up with for what I (maybe incorrectly) understand is going on here:

It seems kind of like how you'd normally navigate with six degrees of freedom except the TL and TR A and B settings control heading instead of having a different layout that controls "rotation"? I guess because we don't care about rotation orientation in this model. I am totally missing the words I need to discuss these ideas meaningfully from my vocabulary...

It's like the output is a plane kind of, if that makes any sense.
ranix
PeterDeVault wrote:
ranix wrote:

Precisely - I happen to have one of these and would like a second

That's such a lovely module, it's just beautiful. I really got to get one myself one of these days.

The third "1" channel is perfect for Z
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2