MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What does it take to get ARP mode in Juno 66 fixed ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Author What does it take to get ARP mode in Juno 66 fixed ?
csiprophet
Hello tubbutec,

A few users have reported an issue with the Juno 66's ARP, which makes it works in a wrong and unmusical way, or at least very differently than how Juno 60 does:

- Set ARP to Up/Down and range to 3 octaves

- Hold C0, E0 , G0 (lowest octave), it plays:
C0 E0 G0 C1 E1 G1 C2 E2 G2 E2 C2 G1 E1 C1 G0 E0

These are 16 steps a loop. It's usable and sounds musical, and also as originally in the Juno 60.

- Now hold C3, E3, G3 (mid or top octave), it would play:
C3 E3 G3 C4 E4 G4 C5 C5 G4 E4 C4 G3 E3

This is a 13 steps loop, it's unmusical, can't really be useful and is not as originally on a Juno 60.

We've been waiting for a fix for many months now, would you be able to finally fix this minor issue for us, so we can get our ARP back to work as it should ?

Your support in your user-base is appreciated.
tubbutec
Just so we are on the same page.. how does the original Juno behave in this situation?
csiprophet
Hello Tubbutec, and sorry it took me so long to respond. I didn't have access to any other Roland than my modded Juno 66 up until today.

I was able to compare the Juno 66's behavior with a JP8, and found what the exact bug is:

- Set ARP to Up/Down, 3 OCT
- Now, if you play a C-E-G chord on the bottom octave, on the 66 it will arpeggiate correctly
- But if you play the same chord in higher octaves, where the 66 cannot play all 16 notes (as it reaches the top note too soon), then it would repeat the highest note once it reaches it, instead of playing it only once and move on to the next note

This works correctly on the JP8, but doesn't work correctly on the 66.

This wrong behavior makes the ARP play odd length patterns, such as 13 and 7 steps instead of 12 and 6 steps, which isn't musical and cannot really be used in a musical way...

So:

Playing a CEG chord starting at C3 on the keyborad, it currently plays for each loop:
C3 E3 G3 C4 E4 G4 C5 C5 G4 E4 C4 G3 E3 (13 steps)
- It doesn't repeat C3 when it goes back to it, but repeats C5 when it goes up to it.

It should be:
C3 E3 G3 C4 E4 G4 C5 G4 E4 C4 G3 E3 (12 steps)

The same way, if you play a CEG chord starting at C4, it currently plays for each loop:
C4 E4 G4 C5 C5 G4 E4 (7 steps)

When it should play:
C4 E4 G4 C5 G4 E4 (6 steps)

So basically it should not play the top note in the ARP sequence twice, before it falls back.

Note: This bug also happens in Up/Down, 2 OCT mode.

Would you please be able to fix this for us? the ARP is the heart of every Juno!
tubbutec
Thanks a lot for this detailed analysis.
Will take care of this smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Page 1 of 1