MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Club of the Knobs Dotcom Power Connector
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Club of the Knobs Dotcom Power Connector
REcDeso12oi
Hello!

Does anyone have the Mouser part # or a link to buy these white Dotcom Power connectors? I have some modules I'd like to install in my CoTK cabinet and the power boards don't have these Dotcom connectors installed. The one I'm looking for is the white connector below

Thanks so much!
Dave Peck
The Dotcom site says it's Molex P/N 6404566, which is readily available from most component distributors. That number describes the stock version with all six pins installed. You just need to remove one of the pins. They can be pulled out of the plastic base using a standard hand tool.

Info is at the bottom of page 5 of this doc:

https://synthesizers.com/products/power/powerdata.pdf
JohnLRice
Dave Peck wrote:
The Dotcom site says it's Molex P/N 6404566,
oops, correct part number but wrong brand/type, it's an MTA 6404566 now made by TE Connectivity thumbs up
JohnLRice
REcDeso12oi, here's some additional info for you:

I don't think you really want the pictured header do you? If you have non-COTK modules with those headers on them I would consider other options, or at least clarify what you are doing exactly because most of those DotCom modules are expecting +-15v and sometimes even +5v and if you have a COTK system it might only be producing +-12v so even if you got them connected as well as possible they might not work? or maybe you just need a female to female adapter cable?

Take a look at this chart and pay close attention to the orientation of pins as some brands have the pin order the same on the module and distribution board and others do each one different! eek!

Here's a couple good threads you might want to reed through:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16488

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739

Best of luck! thumbs up
Dave Peck
JohnLRice wrote:
Dave Peck wrote:
The Dotcom site says it's Molex P/N 6404566,
oops, correct part number but wrong brand/type, it's an MTA 6404566 now made by TE Connectivity thumbs up

Doh! d'oh! Yes, MTA series are made by TE/AMP, not Molex.
REcDeso12oi
Thanks for all the info guys!

So I'm buying a Synth-Werk Reverb and will be installing it on the top row of my CoTK cabinet.

His bus board is kind-of a swiss army knife of bus boards and at the very end theres a nice little slot for a DotCom connector. So I figure I'd just pop one in there and problem solved without having to make any custom cables or anything.. I hope hehe

Thanks again and I'll just move forward with buying the connector and soldering it in. Unless you guys know of any reason it won't work.

Cheers!
JohnLRice
Ahh, I see! cool As far as I know that DotCom connection point is intended to connect to a DotCom power supply to convert +-15v down to +-12v but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you if your existing supply is already feeding the board +-15v? Only problem might be if your power supply is noisy and/or unstable since the reverb module wont be getting any benefit of the distribution board's regulation and filtering?

Give it a try and let us know how it turns out! Boat
Leverkusen
Hm, I am not sure - but do dotcom-styled MU modules actually have cables with the female version of that connector included? Or haven't they just the same connector soldered on that wants to be connected to a power harness?

I had some of the Cotk cases and I think I made a custom cable for my Blacet Time Machine to connect its dotcom header to the one me too soldered to the Cotk busboard while wondering why I actually was doing it that way instead of just using one of the 15V headers already provided...I probably just did not understand it... hmmm.....

Apart from that providing 'both' voltage standards does have something of a switch army knife indeed.
Leverkusen
JohnLRice wrote:
Ahh, I see! cool As far as I know that DotCom connection point is intended to connect to a DotCom power supply to convert +-15v down to +-12v but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you if your existing supply is already feeding the board +-12v? Only problem might be if your power supply is noisy and/or unstable since the reverb module wont be getting any benefit of the distribution board's regulation and filtering?

Fuck - that would explain why I never really got in love with the Time Machine. very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating
REcDeso12oi
Huh! Interesting. I might just reach out to Kazike to see how he intended that DOTCOM spot to be used. I'll let you guys know if figure anything concrete out!
JohnLRice
Leverkusen wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Ahh, I see! cool As far as I know that DotCom connection point is intended to connect to a DotCom power supply to convert +-15v down to +-12v but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you if your existing supply is already feeding the board +-15v? Only problem might be if your power supply is noisy and/or unstable since the reverb module wont be getting any benefit of the distribution board's regulation and filtering?

Fuck - that would explain why I never really got in love with the Time Machine. very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating
Sorry for the typo folks! d'oh! I corrected it and I meant to say that if the main power supply is initially feeding the distribution board +-15v then adding the DotCom MTA connector "should" probably work to power a module!
Leverkusen
I am confused too - I think the Cotk PSU usually delivers 15V and is downregulated to 12V on the Busboard, isn't it? I vaguely remember following the traces back then to be sure it will work - so it should work but seems still a bit odd to do so since there are two cotk-connectors switchable between 12v and 15V and using one of those seems righter... hmmm.....
JohnLRice
Leverkusen wrote:
I am confused too - I think the Cotk PSU usually delivers 15V and is downregulated to 12V on the Busboard, isn't it? I vaguely remember following the traces back then to be sure it will work - so it should work but seems still a bit odd to do so since there are two cotk-connectors switchable between 12v and 15V and using one of those seems righter... hmmm.....
I've never owned a COTK power supply or buss board so I hope people consider my suggestions with a bit of caution! hihi

One thing that "can" be done but extreme understanding, clear thinking and obvious labeling is recommended: You could just use one of the configurable 14 pin headers on the COTK distribution board set to +-15v and then make a special adapter cable using MTA-100 connectors. STANDARD DotCom wiring WON'T WORK and might damage the module, distro board and/or power supply!
MY ASS IS BLEEDING FUUUCCKKKK!!!
But I have successfully connected a COTK module to a MOTM distro board with a custom wired MTA-156 to MTA-100 cable so I know it can work.

It would be best to use a MTA-100 connector that is as wide as possible to help avoid the possibility of offsetting the connection but I've yet to get around to ordering odd sizes of MTA connectors to figure out which one would be best to use (might be an 8 or 9 pin one? hmmm..... )
coyoteous
Leverkusen wrote:

I have two* COTK bus boards with MTA100 connectors (no spade lugs)... as I recall the traces tie together on the regulation/filtration(?-heh) input side.

I'm pretty sure the switchable COTK connectors also tap the 15s from the same "nodes" for their modules that need/like an extra 3v per rail.

In other words, it should be fine to populate the board with an MTA connector and use it as a split/mult for power (no +5, though... not a problem for SW and Moon as I recall, and many .com modules, etc.).

I did similar with success jumpering STG modules together with the MTA connectors some have on my little euro system (I know... yeah, I caved rather than porting or going without), when I ran low on euro power connections (fixed for now without the MTAs using some 4ms multi cables for their pods).

That said, I also blew up a module a long time ago doing something stupid that seemed like a good idea at the time, and more recently had similar ideas either unimplimented until I came to my senses, or that didn't permanently damage anything.

So, yeah... check with COTKazike.

*one from my second hardest-fought ebay auction ever a few years back, but I won in literally the last second at some cheaper than one would have cost shipped from Portugal... sorry to my competitor if you're reading this (not... well, maybe a little).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1