MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My Miniwave is really quiet
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author My Miniwave is really quiet
markthecolossus
Hello everyone!

I’ve been out of the modular game for a few years and I finally am dipping my toe back in. Before I fell out though I had purchased a Miniwave, racked it up, and found it to be incredibly... quiet. Like maybe 1/10th the volume of the VCO. I emailed Blacet about it back then but I couldn’t get anywhere figuring out what was wrong because I don’t have an oscilloscope.

Fast forward to today. I’ve taken a bunch of load off the power supply, figuring maybe that was a cause but it didn’t help. Honestly I’m not sure what th deal is.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the Miniwave just quiet?

Also does anyone have any tips for calibrating it without a voltmeter or scope?

Thanks for any help!

Mark
soup
My miniwave is not quiet but I do need to calibrate it again as it seems to have fallen out of calibration. It definitely will not work right if it's not calibrated.

Has yours ever been calibrated? A cheap multimeter costs $15 and is all you need. Also software oscilloscopes while useless with lfo's etc are an easy way to see waveshapes.
e-grad
markthecolossus wrote:
Has anyone else experienced this? Is the Miniwave just quiet?

Assuming you are driving it by a VCO: Have you set the input selector to +/-5V?
markthecolossus
I am driving it with a VCO, and it is set to +/-5, the volume difference between the source and the output is what is making me think something is not right.

It's definitely never been calibrated. I ordered a voltmeter, it should be here tomorrow. It had though of using a software scope, but it had not occurred to me to use one on my computer instead of my phone.

I think I just needed to rubber duck where I was at a little, and I really appreciate the responses!

Mark
e-grad
markthecolossus wrote:
I am driving it with a VCO, and it is set to +/-5, the volume difference between the source and the output is what is making me think something is not right.

I had a glance into the manual yesterday and I doubt that the calibration will raise the output voltage that much. However, I could be wrong and keep my fingers crossed.
fracmonkey
The output should be same level as the input...

If you built it as a kit, it is time to check construction. If you have a basic scope, you can trace the input signal and perhaps see where it is getting attenuated.
markthecolossus
fracmonkey wrote:
The output should be same level as the input...

If you built it as a kit, it is time to check construction. If you have a basic scope, you can trace the input signal and perhaps see where it is getting attenuated.

So that is good to know, I should be able to check that this weekend. I bought it from Blacet built, so the entire thing is sort of a bummer, but I knew what I was getting into when I started building a modular.
fracmonkey
I’m sorry about your bad experience.

If you don’t find the problem, contact Blacet about returning for repair.

Technically, it is out of warranty, but Mr Blacet is very fair to his customers. Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1