MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What do we think of the Q167 LFO++ by now?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author What do we think of the Q167 LFO++ by now?
Rex Coil 7
I've seen a few videos, it seems fairly well outfitted.

I'm needing some type of LFO/VCO to use specifically as a live performance/real time modulator that I can use for simple vibrato, up to audio rate sickness. I'll be using it as "expression" but also going into audio rates for "FM" type modulations. I have all of these performance controllers (ribbons, joystick, aftertouch, velocity, lightstrips, foot controllers, et al) which will be used to control speed, depth, and so on while playing.

The Q167 has been out for a while ... that said, what do we think about it by now? Good? Bad? Fonky? Stinky? Shitpoopcrap? Precious gem?

Thankies!!!

Dono-Kun Dance
josaka
a good as it is.. you can do a lot more with a basic dual.. or triple lfo..
Q167 seems good for a single modulator(vibrato for example)
having more outs is crucial for me for modulating different destinations at different speeds..
Rex Coil 7
josaka wrote:
a good as it is.. you can do a lot more with a basic dual.. or triple lfo..
Q167 seems good for a single modulator(vibrato for example)
having more outs is crucial for me for modulating different destinations at different speeds..
I have all of that handled, I've modified all 4 of the Q106 VCOs in my synth to handle eight modulation sources per VCO, all switchable via toggle switches.

This particular modulation source would be dedicated to left hand expression and tonal changes. Vibrato going into audio rates, and so on.
josaka
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

This particular modulation source would be dedicated to left hand expression and tonal changes. Vibrato going into audio rates, and so on.

great for that .. still think more output sources may give you more colours.. but for single control and shape the 167 seems hard to beat.
Rex Coil 7
josaka wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

great for that .. still think more output sources may give you more colours.. but for single control and shape the 167 seems hard to beat.
More outs from the Q167? Or more modulation sources? If it's more outs from the Q167 I have a Q147 Distributor for that. If it's more mod sources I can do that as well.

Rex Coil 7
... anyone have a back shot of one of these?

(un-subbed)

pbear :(
JohnLRice
I haven't used mine in quite a while but yesterday I put it into the Box11 system I've been messing with recently. It's pretty cool and does a lot but I can't say I've gotten my head around it completely yet. Need to spend more time with it . . . One minor annoyance with the recent DotCom dense 1 MU designs is that while the PCBs and components on them are within the panel width, the wires that go to the panel controls cause the over all width to be wider then the panel so inserting/removing a module between two other modules will either require some force or I'll often need to loosen or completely remove the adjacent modules.

Minor mods I've made to the Q167 LFO++:
* Changed all the small knobs to smaller knobs
* Put additional washers behind all the pots so the knobs would sit a little closer to the panel.
* Tightened up the speed range toggle switch that had come loose
* Put lock washers between the standoffs and panel because they were coming loose.

Here's some quick pics:

Rex Coil 7
Thank you so much, John. Hug

I can see that replacing the I/O jacks with switching jacks and normalizing some (all?) of them will be as easy as every other Dot Com module I've done that with. That was my main concern.

I've had the same ~fitting~ trouble with a number of Dot Com modules, usually caused by the wires bulging out on each side a little bit. The center-to-center dimension of the PCB mounting screws all of the 1MU modules I've encountered so far is as follows;

PCB Hole Spacing (Small PCB) = 1.625" x 2.625".
PCB Hole Spacing (Q107 Filter) = 1.625" x 3.625".
PCB Hole Spacing (Q114++ Mixer) = 1.625" x 4.875".
PCB Hole Spacing (Q150 Filter) = 1.625" x 5.625".
PCB Hole Spacing (Q106 VCO) = 1.625" x 5.625".

Note that all of the ~width~ dimensions of every PCB = 1.625" (1-5/8").

See if that LFO++ is the same (again, that is the C-to-C dimension of the screw holes of the PCB). It can be measured on the screw heads on the front of the module ... just try to measure from the center of each screw head. It's not critically required to be a perfect measurement, just get an eyeball on a ruler/tape measure (or dig out that fancy digital caliper!!).

Those dimensions I provided above are what I used in my FPD panels, all of the PCBS fit gloriously perfect.

Geez, thanks again. thumbs up
JohnLRice
Yup, looks to be 1.625" for the LFO++ thumbs up

Something interesting I noticed on the data PDF is this quote:
"The Q167 LFO++ uses the QFUN board which contains many different functions. "
I searched a bit but couldn't find any discussion about it. There are lots of solder pads intended for headers but the headers aren't there. I'm assuming that Roger made this PCB as a somewhat generic design that could be used for a few different modules? I took a quick look at my Q148 VCA++ and Q157 S&H++ but the PCBs didn't look exactly the same. hmmm..... I'm wondering if the module could be expanded into a double wide or equivalent to access additional functionality or if all those unused points don't do anything and are intended for different modules . . . .
Rex Coil 7
Yea ... Roger has done that "one PCB - several modules" thing in the past so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the LFO++ board was designed to serve more purposes!

In fact the Q111 Pan/Fade and the Q116 Ring Modulator modules both use the same PCB (methinks I have a picture of both sitting side by side, PCB up, to display their shared boards).

All of the ~mixer~ modules all use the same boards as well ... except for the Q114 Mixer++ which uses it's own board. But the Q112, Q113, Q161, and Q162 all use the same boards.

seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1