MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Workshop Osc Machine (W.O.M.) - Kits + Build thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Workshop Osc Machine (W.O.M.) - Kits + Build thread
DGTom
Its pretty simple to add CV to a basic 40106 cct. I just breadboarded a very basic one with a 4007 acting as the current source, super easy if you don't need proper tuning, I don't, & you like the idea of an all CMOS VCO, I do... or you could use a transistor - weak!

I think the biggest issue modding the W.O.M is purely real-estate as Tom pointed out. I suppose a gun solderer could surface mount some right angle headers onto certain traces... but really by the time you do that you may as well grab some vero board & CMOS chips & start F'ing about rather than potentially scar the masterpiece of miniturisation that this PCB layout is.

(The Lunetta part of my brain does look at all those "wasted"* gates & wonder 'what if I just' - maybe a future Workshop orientated design could incorparate a "sandbox" area with various pins brought out to a part of the board, like the CGS Wave Multiplier PCB, would ruin the aesthetics tho)

*We all know real waste is adding features just to use up avaliable resources.
fracinfrucer
Any more kits going to be available in the future? I got paid today and went to grab one and they're gone d'oh!
cebec
Ordered mine, too!
Can't wait -- my first DIY project.
Thanks, Tom!
BugBrand
fracinfrucer wrote:
Any more kits going to be available in the future? I got paid today and went to grab one and they're gone :doh:

I've got around 20 further kits to complete -- hopefully they'll be available sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers!
bar|none
Tom,

I definitely want one of these. Will they appear in the shop here
http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&pr oducts_id=34

when ready? I checked that link after you first posted they were avail and it showed none avail. I assume they just sold out in a few short hours.
Soy Sos
Ya, for myself I will put aside all thought about modding it.
I promise to only fuck up my own designs! hihi
fracinfrucer
BugBrand wrote:
I've got around 20 further kits to complete -- hopefully they'll be available sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Awesome! I'll keep an eye out! hyper
Soy Sos
Hey, I got my kit today!!
Amazingly fast shipping time, less then a week.
Really looking forward to CAREFULLY building this.
Thanks Tom for your well run biz!
Uncopyrightable
Got mine too, and just finished building it... took about 4 hours, but I'm a noob and was taking care. Mr. Green

And yay, worked on first run. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Edit: Is it just me, or was there a sense of irony to getting a card included that says "Built by hand in Bristol, England" for a DIY kit? razz razz
Soy Sos
It's fucking 3AM and the thing fucking works!!!!!
Woooooohooooooo!
3 of the poli box caps didn't seem to match the numbers in the
manual, but I put in the 2 matching and the one solo in the left over spots!
Took me about 3 1/2 hour I think. I should sleep..............
But I can't stop messing around with this damn thing!
BugBrand
Wow, the speed of shipping has me surprised too - that's great news.

And - whoop - well done you both on completing the machines! 3-4 hours is probably about right time-wise -- I've been running the workshops at 4 hours, with people taking about 3 hours (probably a bit quicker building in a group as problems can be quickly addressed)

I hope your caps problem won't affect the pitch ranges - feel free to post pics or email me. -- I know that the cap labeling can be a bit confusing and it is hard to explain clearly in the documentation...

If anyone else has problems on the caps then do feel free to post and ask questions!

bar|none wrote:
Tom,

I definitely want one of these. Will they appear in the shop here
http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&pr oducts_id=34

when ready? I checked that link after you first posted they were avail and it showed none avail. I assume they just sold out in a few short hours.

Strange - they should have showed up (I always double check).
Sorry about that.. I'll give a shout when I get the remaining kits made up.
matt the modulator
Just got mine took a day and i think i got a bit carried away !

i have changed osc 1 pot with a Norps12 LDR and added a velleman cricket board to flash the led and as a sound source (which only sounds when the led flashes) unfortunatly i have Blown the speaker as the signal from the cricket kit was too high d'oh! DOH oh well
BugBrand
Wow - amazing!
What does it say next to Bug? Is it Bug(o)la ??!!

Hey, for the speaker - just drop me a mail and I'll pop a fresh one in the post tomorrow. Seems strange that it should blow, but I guess you never know.

Cheers for the wonderful picture!
bar|none
Haha, awesome mod!

I love the thinga-ma-kit LEDacle.
matt the modulator
Hi tom cheers for the replacment offer ile email you with my details.i think its because the velleman kit i used is designed power a piezo buzzer. i conected the LED to the out put and to +9v and the output also goes to C13 (the mixer input on the WOM) ile have to look at that before replacing the speaker. I called it a BUG - Lab as the led stick (LEDackle) is inspired by the Bleep Labs thingamakit. I added a conection pen thing form a stylophone which is connected to one of the drive pads

The hands are amputated from a Buzz Lightyear which is currently getting a Thingama-makeover gunner be noisy light flashing fun when iam finished Mr. Green

here's a over head picture:
BugBrand
I got asked about replacing pots - mainly relevant if you're wanting to mount the WOM into a new case and use nicer knobs...

So! The dials with the kit are linear types (you can't get 'em in log)

Osc-pitch dials (1-3)
- these are spec'd at 100k, but for the bigger Weevils I tend to use 500k (linear) or even 1M -- the larger the pot value, the lower things go.

Osc Levels (1-3)
- these are 100k minidials but if replacing them I'd recommend using LOG type pots (again, 100k)

Drive - you could try a 100k LOG

Tone - 10k linear

Output - 100k log

Starve - this specs a 100k pot but you could experiment with a higher value (eg. 500k) - linear type.

Have fun!
flippantminister
yay! got my kit this morning- unfortunately i have no idea when i might get around to building it, way too much stuff going on in the next few days. hopefully i can set aside some time and get it put together sunday evening.
Soy Sos
Beautiful, inspiring little piece of kit. Used here as a Sample and Hold
and sound source with the mighty ARP 2600!

http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10067
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10068
droolmaster0
Hey - I know that it's incredibly wimpy, but I just have to ask - how much would someone (anyone?) charge to put one of these together for me?
bar|none
Just buy a boardweevil since it basically a preassembled one and has even more features I think.
droolmaster0
Oh, really? Well, mine just arrived yesterday, so I have that taken care of if that's the case.
eyehue
the chips look different on the WOM than on the board weevil. one is only 8 pin and i don't think it's another opamp. is it a 555? can Tom discuss the differences between the WOM and the board weevil? i have a postcard and board and may very well need a WOM if there are indeed significant differences.
eyehue
yea, what i said above.
DGTom
Its a LM386 as well as the 358, which from the datasheet is the poweramp for the speaker.

I won't know what chips are on the Weevill till it gets here grin but I think its 40106, 4077 & a LM324 opamp.... I think, & the 386 for the speaker again, I'm prob only half right tho.
Henfield
Any idea when these will be available again? The website says that is sold out!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 2 of 5