MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noir reviews Noise Engineering 5U and 5U in general
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Noir reviews Noise Engineering 5U and 5U in general
JohnLRice
I think Stephen did a good job and and since he has a large following of keyboard and eurorack users his 5U video could be good for the continued growth of 5U in general? cool And yes, I'm a bit biased since I helped out in a small way with this video by offering my advice and pictures of my systems. hihi
kcd06
I was wondering where he had disappeared to
Faustgeist
More and more I've been giving this a lot of thought. Modular formats, not youtube videos. cool

I go through phases of what "makes" 5U, MOTM, and Euro different. Sometimes is based on nostalgia, sometimes module selection, and sometime what I want each format to be.

I came to 5U from Eurorack. I did it for the physical aesthetics of big text, big dials, heavy cables . . the ergonomics, and the connection to synthesis history. But I still did not buy a keyboard. I was still obsessed with Krell patches, techno, ambient drones - and played the large format in much the same way as Euro. Albeit with 1/8th the module selection.

Noire Et Blanc Vie is no dummy, he is a 'gateway' voice to thousands of young viewers and I feel he is part of the pendulum's swing... perhaps heralding the rise of 5u popularity for more manufacturers and young artists.

Only time will tell, but I for one felt the draw and am very happy I opened the doors to large format.

~R
josaka
nice one john.. thumbs up

your ususal selfless helpful ways !!

only thing about this is the modules are all basically euro modules .. shame there was no real focus on the strengths of 5u vs euro and some examples of pure 5u modules.. smile

great that he has done this and seems interested in 5u thumbs up thumbs up
Faustgeist
josaka wrote:
. . only thing about this is the modules are all basically euro modules .. shame there was no real focus on the strengths of 5u vs euro and some examples of pure 5u modules.. smile

And this is a lot of what I have been dwelling on. Not for any reason then my own internal dialogue, mind you. . . Guinness ftw!

Those new 2019, digital, euro-in-origin modules in the video are 5U. MU defines scale, power and patch cable. The format does not inherently demand limited circuit designers, analog only or Moog clone.

I know what you are saying and I agree the video could have gone deeper into what large format offers differently than Euro. It would have been nice to see 5u only manufacturers given screen time . . And you are definitely right, there are super cool modules unique to each - but I feel that gap lessening... and we are the beneficiaries.

I would not mind if Mutable, Make Noise, Orthogonal and Cwejman made modules in both formats. Individuals can chose to be traditionalists or not - no harm done. SSL and heaps of DIY'ers have been doing this for years. And how about guitar pedals re-paneled in 5U? hmmm..... nanners

Because I am new to ALL this, I'm definitely in the minority of embracing this blending of format makers. In my mind, the same envelope circuit in Frac, Euro and 5u is... the same circuit. Rockin' Banana!

Respectfully submitted,
~R
josaka
Faustgeist wrote:
josaka wrote:
. . only thing about this is the modules are all basically euro modules .. shame there was no real focus on the strengths of 5u vs euro and some examples of pure 5u modules.. smile

And this is a lot of what I have been dwelling on. Not for any reason then my own internal dialogue, mind you. . . Guinness ftw!

Those new 2019, digital, euro-in-origin modules in the video are 5U. MU defines scale, power and patch cable. The format does not inherently demand limited circuit designers, analog only or Moog clone.

I know what you are saying and I agree the video could have gone deeper into what large format offers differently than Euro. It would have been nice to see 5u only manufacturers given screen time . . And you are definitely right, there are super cool modules unique to each - but I feel that gap lessening... and we are the beneficiaries.

I would not mind if Mutable, Make Noise, Orthogonal and Cwejman made modules in both formats. Individuals can chose to be traditionalists or not - no harm done. SSL and heaps of DIY'ers have been doing this for years. And how about guitar pedals re-paneled in 5U? hmmm..... nanners

Because I am new to ALL this, I'm definitely in the minority of embracing this blending of format makers. In my mind, the same envelope circuit in Frac, Euro and 5u is... the same circuit. Rockin' Banana!

Respectfully submitted,
~R

be very happy to see more ports.. or dual format.. there are some euro killers.. (not crazy on the recent surge towards polysynths and complete synths in euro..)
the main difference for me between the two systems is functions/modulation..
euro likes to have it built in the module and 5u prefers external modules doing the modulation.. this to me leads to the thinner label euro gets.. its just more modulated.. + a lot of euro is created to be more 'synthetic' sounding ..where 5u is more traditional straight waves.. 5u also generally favours multiple stacked osc for that east coast berlin/lead/bass sound .. I like it all though smile
Scooter McCrae
Great to see that this video was not only made (hooray!) but also over the course of the day has already garnered 1500 views! Thanks for posting it here and helping him out in the first place, JLR! 5U remains my first love despite the allure of the Buchla and Eurorack stuff that also now reside in my home studio.

Watching the video made me long for the return of Bruce at Modcan someday (sigh). The CV Recorder and many of the digital modules (both oscillators and effects) remain the pinnacle of the format to my eyes and ears and it would be sad if they were not readily available to future generations of upper-middle-aged-ponytailed-knob-twiddlers like a lot of us in these threads.

And yeah -- I hope a video like this has the kids Googling the hell out the internet for more information to start their own 5U systems stat!

Scooter McCrae
JohnLRice
Scooter McCrae wrote:
Great to see that this video was not only made (hooray!) but also over the course of the day has already garnered 1500 views!
Thanks for the positive response everyone! thumbs up He's a good guy and this was only his initial testing the waters of 5U. It would be great if he continued with it and was up for doing more indepth coverage and product demos for 5U manufacturers but I think due to cost concerns this might be it for now? hmmm.....

I would suggest if any manufacturers out there find his style of videos helpful, they might reach out to him to see if there is a way to make it happen? cool Consider that this video has generated 3,385 views and 277 likes in just about 24 hours . . . . woah applause
josaka
JohnLRice wrote:
Scooter McCrae wrote:
Great to see that this video was not only made (hooray!) but also over the course of the day has already garnered 1500 views!
Thanks for the positive response everyone! thumbs up He's a good guy and this was only his initial testing the waters of 5U. It would be great if he continued with it and was up for doing more indepth coverage and product demos for 5U manufacturers but I think due to cost concerns this might be it for now? hmmm.....

I would suggest if any manufacturers out there find his style of videos helpful, they might reach out to him to see if there is a way to make it happen? cool Consider that this video has generated 3,385 views and 277 likes in just about 24 hours . . . . woah applause

last year I started a thread about 5u manufacturers promoting themselves(and the format) more pro actively.. this seems a good way.. there are guys like him that need content and you need exposure smile thumbs up thumbs up
JohnLRice
josaka wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Scooter McCrae wrote:

last year I started a thread about 5u manufacturers promoting themselves(and the format) more pro actively.. this seems a good way.. there are guys like him that need content and you need exposure smile thumbs up thumbs up
Driving
Eric the Red
josaka wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Scooter McCrae wrote:

I remember that thread. There was a lot of grumbling on there “I’m a small business... it’s just me doing this alone... blah blah blah”. Reaching out to YouTubers to demo your products seems like a no brained. You could even Loan them the gear for a week or two while they’d make the video, or pay them in gear!

I have never heard of this guy before, but I subscribed to his YouTube channel today. The video was very well done. While he didn’t explain much of the modules and their functions, he did make nice musical demo.
Thalassa
Great video , thanks John for helping Noir Et Blanc Vie ! thumbs up
JohnLRice
Thalassa wrote:
Great video , thanks John for helping Noir Et Blanc Vie ! thumbs up
Thanks! cool

For anyone interested in ordering the two new Noise Engineering 5U modules there is info in this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3067155#3067155
umma gumma
that's cool they are making 5U modules now

I predict a growing number of people moving into 5U

euro is great for a portable setup & space restrictions, but I'd rather use something more ergonomic: easier to read, manipulate = more gratifying to use

Ergo, 5U

I've ended up with some euro as well; but plan to focus on the bigger stuff
Yes Powder
Eric the Red wrote:
I have never heard of this guy before, but I subscribed to his YouTube channel today. The video was very well done. While he didn’t explain much of the modules and their functions, he did make nice musical demo.

If you havrn’t yet, check out his documentary on Jexus. Well worth the watch.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1