MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Box11 modifications
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Box11 modifications
JohnLRice
I was trying to find an existing thread for this but I gave up looking. oops Mods done were:

* Made 3mm thick aluminum sides

* Added rubber feet to the bottom and back

* Turned one of the mults into two passive attenuators (switchable to still be a mult)

* Mounted a power distribution board inside

* Mounted power brick inside (I keep questioning the logic of this one! hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it )

Rex Coil 7
Damn son! Looks just great John. Very nicely done metalwork! Then again I am deeply biased ... I too love 1/8" (3mm) aluminum panels ... SlayerBadger! applause

coyoteous
Super-nice... kinda looks like a sleek European shortwave radio!

Did you cut the sides yourself?

4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42

Added: dig the module placement symmetry, too.
JohnLRice
Thanks Rex Coil 7 and coyoteous!

I got the metal from https://www.metalsdepot.com/

1/8 X 3-1/2 6061-T6511 Aluminum Flat
Custom Cut: 10 1/8"
2 @ $7.62 each
Sub-Total:$15.24
Shipping: $12.31
Sales Tax: $2.81
Total: $30.36

The pieces weren't quite cut at right angles and were fairly rough, probably because I didn't pay extra for "saw cut" and they just chopped 'em. So I only had to file the ends and then sand and steel wool the surfaces after drilling the holes. I'm a bit worried about the aluminum becoming a mess of finger print stains, scratches and oxidation fairly quickly since I didn't clear coat it or do anything else to protect the surface. Rex, do you do anything to raw aluminum like this or does it hold up fairly well with no protection?
Rex Coil 7
JohnLRice wrote:
... Rex, do you do anything to raw aluminum like this or does it hold up fairly well with no protection?
It begins to dull a bit after time. I live in a very dry region, so I don't have issues with visible oxidation for several years. But in the North West, with the wet weather and all the rainfall/snowfall there I'd reckon the bare aluminum will begin to "speckle" after one, maybe two wet seasons.

And yes, it easily fingerprints. Window cleaner helps with that. It's pretty much why I went with the black bedliner stuff. The only problem with using clear coat is that if a rogue patch cable ~smacks~ up against it, there's a decent chance it will chip the clear coat or leave a visible mark. Even the bedliner doesn't like really ~squared off edges~ and can chip a little bit on just the edges. If the edges have a radius the bedliner resists chipping very well.

But just to get it said the bedliner works EXCELLENTLY on wood.

There is a finish I discovered recently, I'm keen on trying it. .... "Steel It" ...

LINK = http://www.steel-it.com/applications-2

seriously, i just don't get it
JohnLRice
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
... Rex, do you do anything to raw aluminum like this or does it hold up fairly well with no protection?
It begins to dull a bit after time. I live in a very dry region, so I don't have issues with visible oxidation for several years. But in the North West, with the wet weather and all the rainfall/snowfall there I'd reckon the bare aluminum will begin to "speckle" after one, maybe two wet seasons.

And yes, it easily fingerprints. Window cleaner helps with that. It's pretty much why I went with the black bedliner stuff. The only problem with using clear coat is that if a rogue patch cable ~smacks~ up against it, there's a decent chance it will chip the clear coat or leave a visible mark. Even the bedliner doesn't like really ~squared off edges~ and can chip a little bit on just the edges. If the edges have a radius the bedliner resists chipping very well.

But just to get it said the bedliner works EXCELLENTLY on wood.

There is a finish I discovered recently, I'm keen on trying it. .... "Steel It" ...

LINK = http://www.steel-it.com/applications-2

seriously, i just don't get it
Thanks for the tips! thumbs up I think I'll let these ride as is to see what kind of patina I end up with after a year or three? hihi

Before I decided to do this by hand I started designing side panels in Front Panel Express and was makiing them really nice with rounded corners and powder coated etc and I didn't even have the hole in yeat and it was going to be over $50 per panel! eek! I think their prices have been going up??? seriously, i just don't get it
bwhittington
The aluminum ends look great!
coyoteous
Good info JohnLRice and Rex Coil 7.

Too bad humans are moderately porous as I would love to project a "look-and-feel of food hygiene and safety" whilst expressing the "battleship-gray beauty of raw or burnished industrial stainless steel."

Seriously, though... metal coatings: who knew? (not me... although I did have a friend as a kid with a candy-apple red metal-flake Schwinn Stingray).
Rex Coil 7
JohnLRice wrote:
...Before I decided to do this by hand I started designing side panels in Front Panel Express and was makiing them really nice with rounded corners and powder coated etc and I didn't even have the hole in yeat and it was going to be over $50 per panel! eek! I think their prices have been going up??? seriously, i just don't get it
Ok, I just loaded up one of the FPD files that I've already bought to check the pricing against what I know I paid for it previously (Jan 2018). It's one of those large 6MU voice panels on my synth. A little over $3.00 (three bucks) more than I paid back then. And I think they still give free shipping for orders between $51 and $1500.

hmmm.....
megaohm
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
...Before I decided to do this by hand I started designing side panels in Front Panel Express and was makiing them really nice with rounded corners and powder coated etc and I didn't even have the hole in yeat and it was going to be over $50 per panel! eek! I think their prices have been going up??? seriously, i just don't get it
Ok, I just loaded up one of the FPD files that I've already bought to check the pricing against what I know I paid for it previously (Jan 2018). It's one of those large 6MU voice panels on my synth. A little over $3.00 (three bucks) more than I paid back then. And I think they still give free shipping for orders between $51 and $1500.

hmmm.....

(full disclosure - I really love FPE)
Every new FPD version I assumed comes with a price increase.
But that is not necessarily the case.
I checked back on one panel (approx 2" x 9") that I ordered April 2018 = $51.43.
Reordered Dec 2018 = $51.43
I beleive there was at least one FPD update during that time and with no price increase.
Just updated to FPD 6.21 and that same panel is now = $52.80.
Not bad.
I always got the feeling that prices were jumping up constantly and significantly but after checking on some...I'm pleasantly surprised!

Rockin' Banana!
JohnLRice
Yeah, I may have just been overwhelmed because it had been a while since I had ordered a panel and I had added in all of the expensive features in like powder coating and edge/corner rounding and it was already over $50 before I even added the holes. Two of them completed and shipped were going to cost almost as much as the Box11 itself! eek! lol so that's when I recoiled and started to look at other options. oops
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1