MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

re:synthesis multiples
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author re:synthesis multiples
Putte
I just tried my two new re:synthesis multiples. On one of them, I tested connecting two sections, in order to control pitch on four Q106s. It worked, but not because I used the switch. I had to connect the section with a short patch cable, therefore having only five outputs left. The switch didn´t seem to turn anything on or off. This can´t be right, or?

I admit, I only had time to try to connect C/D sections on one of them. Not the upp two on that module, or the other multiples at all.
josaka
ask ben.. hes pretty helpful.
Putte
Yes, I found the contact page after a while. I was going through the meny on the homepage at first.
Thanks!
leeski
does the other module work & did you test A&B too of the same??
Putte
No, I didn´t. I should have, of coarse, but I didn´t have much time. Like I said, I didn´t try connecting sections on the othe multiples either.
Putte
Now I´ve tried the A/B sections on the same multiples, and it didn´t work. So, I went on to the other multiples, and it didn´t work either. I only tested the A/B sections, though. Kind of got tired with it, and felt the last two sections probably would give the same results as the others.

Bottom line is, coupling sections together only seems to work when done with a patch cable. The switch doesn´t make any difference at all, as far as I can see/hear.
megaohm
These are passive multiples, correct?
If so, post some clear pics and we can figure out what is happening and perhaps solve the issue.

Putte wrote:
Now I´ve tried the A/B sections on the same multiples, and it didn´t work. So, I went on to the other multiples, and it didn´t work either. I only tested the A/B sections, though. Kind of got tired with it, and felt the last two sections probably would give the same results as the others.

Bottom line is, coupling sections together only seems to work when done with a patch cable. The switch doesn´t make any difference at all, as far as I can see/hear.
Putte
Not sure if this works. It´s been a whiile since I inserted a modulargrid patch here. I haven´t got the system at home, so I can´t take photos right now.
Picture file

Anyway, yes, it´s a passive multiple. It shouldn´t be any problem at all, very simple. I´ve used Q124s and a M594 for a long time.

What I´m trying to do is also very simple:
-Pitch signal to the IN contact (section C)
-Three out signals (section C)
-One out signal (section D, not from the IN contact)
-Link switch turned left
megaohm
Seems like that patch would work.
Perhaps there is a specific way to use the link function that is not obvious to me.
I wish I had some ideas but I don't (my thinking was the switch may have been mis-wired. It happens sometimes! That is what I wanted to see with a pic of the back).

Putte wrote:
Not sure if this works. It´s been a whiile since I inserted a modulargrid patch here. I haven´t got the system at home, so I can´t take photos right now.
Picture file

Anyway, yes, it´s a passive multiple. It shouldn´t be any problem at all, very simple. I´ve used Q124s and a M594 for a long time.

What I´m trying to do is also very simple:
-Pitch signal to the IN contact (section C)
-Three out signals (section C)
-One out signal (section D, not from the IN contact)
-Link switch turned left
josaka
not a lot to see on the back .. pcb is directly soldered to the jacks
JohnLRice
I don't have that module so this is a big and possibly wrong guess but try avoiding the jacks near the switch and then see what the switch does. Some multiples have sections normally combined using switching jacks and inserting a plug in a certain jack disconnects one section from the other. "Maybe" the RE:Synthesis multiple has this pre-connected feature as well and what the switch does is disconnect the link between the two sections so that you don't have to insert a plug into a specific jack to disconnect the sections? hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it I'm not sure why it would have been done that way but it might explain why your patch isn't working? Try something like the image below:

Putte
I´ll try that as soon as I can, JLR. It seems ridiculous if that is the case, making it just a 1-IN/6-OUT multiple, but thanks for coming up with ideas.
It´s better than my idea, using up three contacts for the incoming signal, leaving just five outputs.
steffengrondahl
I've had that module. It should work, and it sounds like the switch is not working.

There is no internal normalizing, so inserting a cable will never break a connection.
The jack marked IN is not different from the others, just for convenience. You can use any of the jacks for input.
And it is a 1-IN/7-OUT multiple when the link switch is switched to the left.
Putte
Tack, Steffen!
So, it should work the way I thought. Just like the upper two sections of a Q125, except its switch moves up/down.
I´m having a hard time thinking something´s wrong with all switches, though. I´ve tried everything I can think of, except using a non IN-Contact as input, like you´re saying would be possible, Steffen.
I´ll try to show you Pictures, as soon as I get to the modular again.
josaka
message Ben here.. seems the most direct way..

https://www.facebook.com/synthpanels/
coyoteous
"5U high x 1MU wide module featuring four quad jack multiples with two linking switches allowing two octal multiples or one sixteen way multiple."

I don't get how it could ever be the the latter, even if it worked right.

Edit: sorry, I edited something in my post that seemed rude in retrospect (even to/for me) and accidentally deleted the image in the process... this should be the same one (no offense to anyone, pachyderms, etc.):

Dave Peck
Heh! Indeed hihi

EDIT - DOH! He deleted the cartoon. The following may not make much sense now....

For anyone who doesn't get the reference above, it's this:

It was six men of Indostan, to learning much inclined,
who went to see the elephant (Though all of them were blind),
that each by observation, might satisfy his mind.

The first approached the elephant, and, happening to fall,
against his broad and sturdy side, at once began to bawl:
'God bless me! but the elephant, is nothing but a wall!'

The second feeling of the tusk, cried: 'Ho! what have we here,
so very round and smooth and sharp? To me tis mighty clear,
this wonder of an elephant, is very like a spear!'

The third approached the animal, and, happening to take,
the squirming trunk within his hands, 'I see,' quoth he,
the elephant is very like a snake!'

The fourth reached out his eager hand, and felt about the knee:
'What most this wondrous beast is like, is mighty plain,' quoth he;
'Tis clear enough the elephant is very like a tree.'

The fifth, who chanced to touch the ear, Said; 'E'en the blindest man
can tell what this resembles most; Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an elephant, is very like a fan!'

The sixth no sooner had begun, about the beast to grope,
than, seizing on the swinging tail, that fell within his scope,
'I see,' quothe he, 'the elephant is very like a rope!'

And so these men of Indostan, disputed loud and long,
each in his own opinion, exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right, and all were in the wrong!

So, oft in theologic wars, the disputants, I ween,
tread on in utter ignorance, of what each other mean,
and prate about the elephant, not one of them has seen!

John Godfrey Saxe

This is fun!
ranix
this is exactly what the past 2 years of working was like for me, except after the elephant there is a giraffe. And after explaining the elephant with the blind men professing to understand, and even demonstrating their knowledge of the whole elephant, they will immediately go to the giraffe, feel its legs, and declare that it is like a picket fence
Putte
josaka, I´ve sent a message via the homepage. It´s just been a weekend, so I´ll wait a few days more before I go to FB, but thanks for the advice.

Coyotous, I absolutely agree. I wondered about that before even ordering the modules, but thought 9-15 outs wouldn´t ever be needed anyway. Still, an interresting information. Could it be, there was a third switch in the plan from the start?
Putte
Now, I´ve definitely tried all the links, the A/B and the C/D on both multiples. None of them works.

Here is, if it works, a Picture of the C/D section of one multiple. The switch is set to link at the moment. Do the cables seem right?[/img][/list]
[img]
Thalassa
The image is not loading. If you could take a picture of the back the module will be easy to see how the switches are connected.
coyoteous
Putte wrote:
josaka, I´ve sent a message via the homepage. It´s just been a weekend, so I´ll wait a few days more before I go to FB, but thanks for the advice.

Coyotous, I absolutely agree. I wondered about that before even ordering the modules, but thought 9-15 outs wouldn´t ever be needed anyway. Still, an interresting information. Could it be, there was a third switch in the plan from the start?

Yes, I think it would need a third switch in the middle for that.

Rather than a patch, maybe just check for continuity?

If patching is the only way you have to do that, I'd just make it as simple as possible.
coyoteous
Thalassa wrote:
The image is not loading. If you could take a picture of the back the module will be easy to see how the switches are connected.

Right... no image posted.

Thalassa: I think it was mentioned earlier that it might be all pcb mounted.

If so, I wonder what could be wrong if the PCB is designed and made properly... bad switches? not soldered?

Maybe somebody on facebook could get Ben's attention?

(I need to look for re:synthesis there... don't go there much, though)
Putte

Trying again. Working?
JohnLRice
Putte wrote:

Trying again. Working?
Yes, thanks! Could you post a picture of the other side of the boards so we can see the traces? So far it looks like it should just work! hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2