MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The last modular synth case/system I'm EVER going to build?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author The last modular synth case/system I'm EVER going to build?
JohnLRice
meh lol Do I need MOAR modular synths? hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it NO! angry But, I do kinda like putting them together. Time to stop making 'em and do something with 'em! (I think I've been saying that for 5 years now? oops ) Anyways, I thought I'd post about the current last one since I tried a couple things with the power supply that I hadn't tried before.

Ever since I built my DotCom 22 portable a couple years ago I have wished that I had somehow mounted the power supplies in a way that would reduce the vibration trandfered to the case from the transformers, since the hum is pretty noticeable. I haven't wanted to tear that one apart yet to try to improve it but when building this new case I decided to try it and mounted the supply support rails to the case on rubber grommets and also used rubber stand-offs to mount the supply to the support rails. I hope this will reduces the noise a bit . . .we'll see.

I also made a small aluminum guard/shield to cover the AC inputs to the transformer and used pop rivets to mount the AC inlet and other items to the back of the case. And I didn't chop down this case like I've done several times in the past since I kept running into analog modules that wouldn't fit in a shallow case and I decided to put a big linear supply in it instead of using a switching supply again like I have in pretty much all of my more portable cases.

I still need to make a bunch of power cables before I can try it out and I also want to do some minor mods to a couple modules to create normal'd connections for the two "voices". And I need to buy a 2U vent panel for the back and mount it . . . .and I really don't like my wiring work on this one, I think I was getting impatient/lazy and just wanted it to be over with! (part of me wants to redo the wiring but if it works OK I'll forget about it once I'm finished and can't see it anymore)

kindredlost
As usual, these posts are a clinic on hardware and cabinet design. Good job Johnny Boy! we're not worthy

EDIT: I did get a chuckle from your tongue'n cheek remark..."Anyways, I thought I'd post about the current last one.." hihi
JohnLRice
kindredlost wrote:
As usual, these posts are a clinic on hardware and cabinet design. Good job Johnny Boy! we're not worthy

EDIT: I did get a chuckle from your tongue'n cheek remark..."Anyways, I thought I'd post about the current last one.." hihi
Thanks my friend! cool
Mark11Audio
JohnLRice wrote:
meh lol Do I need MOAR modular synths? hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it NO! angry But, I do kinda like putting them together. Time to stop making 'em and do something with 'em! (I think I've been saying that for 5 years now? oops ) Anyways, I thought I'd post about the current last one since I tried a couple things with the power supply that I hadn't tried before.

Ever since I built my DotCom 22 portable a couple years ago I have wished that I had somehow mounted the power supplies in a way that would reduce the vibration trandfered to the case from the transformers, since the hum is pretty noticeable. I haven't wanted to tear that one apart yet to try to improve it but when building this new case I decided to try it and mounted the supply support rails to the case on rubber grommets and also used rubber stand-offs to mount the supply to the support rails. I hope this will reduces the noise a bit . . .we'll see.

I also made a small aluminum guard/shield to cover the AC inputs to the transformer and used pop rivets to mount the AC inlet and other items to the back of the case. And I didn't chop down this case like I've done several times in the past since I kept running into analog modules that wouldn't fit in a shallow case and I decided to put a big linear supply in it instead of using a switching supply again like I have in pretty much all of my more portable cases.

I still need to make a bunch of power cables before I can try it out and I also want to do some minor mods to a couple modules to create normal'd connections for the two "voices". And I need to buy a 2U vent panel for the back and mount it . . . .and I really don't like my wiring work on this one, I think I was getting impatient/lazy and just wanted it to be over with! (part of me wants to redo the wiring but if it works OK I'll forget about it once I'm finished and can't see it anymore)

Captains Log: Stardate June 7, 2019...

after noticing the Klingon / Borg collaboration of modular wiring... I took notice of the restlessness of the builder... seriously, i just don't get it a well known interplanetary traveler JLR... applause he will indeed "re-wire" this cabinet to solve his "UN-easiness" of non-compliant OCD standards of perfect 90° right angles and purposeful strategically placed cable ties in mathematical precision.... thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

JLR while he states, if it's good enough and tests, it will be "out of sight" and no worries.... we on the Muff all know better !!! hihi

He will re-wire !!! To Perfection....

Much laughter and humor ensues... applause
JohnLRice
Mark11Audio wrote:
Captains Log: Stardate June 7, 2019...

after noticing the Klingon / Borg collaboration of modular wiring... I took notice of the restlessness of the builder... seriously, i just don't get it a well known interplanetary traveler JLR... applause he will indeed "re-wire" this cabinet to solve his "UN-easiness" of non-compliant OCD standards of perfect 90° right angles and purposeful strategically placed cable ties in mathematical precision.... thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

JLR while he states, if it's good enough and tests, it will be "out of sight" and no worries.... we on the Muff all know better !!! hihi

He will re-wire !!! To Perfection....

Much laughter and humor ensues... applause
lol oops
Rex Coil 7
John, your workmanship just continues to improve with each new construct. Especially your attention paid to metalwork .. up and up the fit and finish continues to climb.

-----> green, me! ---> cry

You've been puttin' on a clinic lately!

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

EDIT: ... don't count the number of builds you've done ... just continue following whatever puts your heart and soul at their most restful and happiest zones ... if that means you'll build a hundred new constructs then that's what it means. Follow your heart, never quit, die falling forward.

cool
JohnLRice
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
John, your workmanship just continues to improve with each new construct. Especially your attention paid to metalwork .. up and up the fit and finish continues to climb.

-----> green, me! ---> cry

You've been puttin' on a clinic lately!

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

EDIT: ... don't count the number of builds you've done ... just continue following whatever puts your heart and soul at their most restful and happiest zones ... if that means you'll build a hundred new constructs then that's what it means. Follow your heart, never quit, die falling forward.

cool
Thanks for your kind words and sage advice! cool
BudgetInfinity
John, did your efforts here manage to reduce hum?

I have a dotcom system and can't seem to rid it of hum at about -50 db.
JohnLRice
BudgetInfinity wrote:
John, did your efforts here manage to reduce hum?

I have a dotcom system and can't seem to rid it of hum at about -50 db.
Since this was a new build and I don't have any similar builds . . .with the same case and power supply but without the double rubber isolation . . . I don't know how much of a difference the isolation made. seriously, i just don't get it I have to think that it helped at least a little bit though.

Listening just now in an average room I can notice the hum if I'm about 3 or 4 feet away or closer from the case, further away the hum is masked by background noise, at least to my ears. Previously I had I posted some data from a non-scientific and for fun test (even though that disclaimer was ignored by some meh lol ) done in my studio which was much quieter and the average increase in noise between being off and on was about +3dB.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3072612#3072612

Keep in mind that the audible hum from those transformers can vary a lot, even multiple copies of the same part that are brand new can have different levels of acoustic noise and some get worse with age/prolonged use.

What case and power supply model do you have and how is it mounted?
BudgetInfinity
For power I have a synthesizers.com QPS1 (good for 66 modules)

and 2 QPS4's (good for 11 each)

After posting this I had a major epiphany, after spending hour tinkering with moving gear around, disconnecting modules, etc. I discovered that turning off my computer monitors and router in the room next door dramatically reduced the noise. To the point, I think I can move an and consider this solved!

By the way John, are you more concerned with ambient noise or recorded noise. For me, well, I never had an issue with ambient noise or hum from gear, just when it's patched in listening through my mixer or audio interface.[/img]
JohnLRice
BudgetInfinity wrote:
By the way John, are you more concerned with ambient noise or recorded noise.
All of the rubber isolation mounts are attempts to lessen acoustic noise. thumbs up
tehfizzle
JLR, what screws are you using to fasten the modules here? Thanks.
Rex Coil 7
tehfizzle wrote:
'em are black ones. Sheeesh. Do I have ta tell everyone everything around here or what?

hihi lol
JohnLRice
tehfizzle wrote:
They are Black Anodized Aluminum 6-32 x 5/16" Knurled Thumb Screws from hasteengineering on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-32-x-5-16-Knurled-Thumb-Screw-10-Pieces-Alu minum-Black-Anodized-Finish/350960246460

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-32-x-5-16-Knurled-Thumb-Screw-25-Pieces-Alu minum-Black-Anodized-Finish/321280528320

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-32-x-5-16-Knurled-Thumb-Screw-50-Pieces-Alu minum-Black-Anodized-Finish/321280531565

And the larger size that attach the DotCom frames to the rack rails are 10-32 x 7/16 "
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-32-x-7-16-Knurled-Thumb-Screw-10-Pieces-Al uminum-Black-Anodized-Finish/350974848823
tehfizzle
Thanks JLR. Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1