MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moon 505 - cutoff frequency calibration?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Moon 505 - cutoff frequency calibration?
levelhead3
I was wondering if there was any sort of calibration possible for the cutoff frequency control on the Moon 505?

In low pass mode the filter really doesn't open up at all until 12:00 or so.

Adding a bit of CV brings the response more into the line of the rest of my filters, but without that the range is rather limited - and it makes LFO modulation less than useful as well.
JohnLRice
levelhead3 wrote:
I was wondering if there was any sort of calibration possible for the cutoff frequency control on the Moon 505?
Probably? Take a look at the back of yours, there are six trimmers labeled:
V/OCT
TUNE
REGADJ
REGOFS
OFFS1
OFFS2

I haven't tried adjusting any of these myself.
hsosdrum
Before you go fiddling about, try running your LFO modulation oscillator's output thru a Dotcom Q125 signal processor and then to the 505. That should give it more "oomph" when opening and closing the filter.
levelhead3
hsosdrum wrote:
Before you go fiddling about, try running your LFO modulation oscillator's output thru a Dotcom Q125 signal processor and then to the 505. That should give it more "oomph" when opening and closing the filter.

The problem isn't the LFO's amplitude, it's that LFO's are bipolar - so they're driving the cutoff frequency down through half the waveform. As the cutoff frequency control dictates the center point for this modulation, it's a problem when through most of the control's travel the cutoff frequency is already lower than expected/desired.

Did that make any sense? It was a no-coffee day... Dead Banana
levelhead3
JohnLRice wrote:
levelhead3 wrote:
V/OCT
TUNE
REGADJ
REGOFS
OFFS1
OFFS2

Sounds like TUNE might be it. I will pull the module and take a peek.
Thanks John!
JohnLRice
levelhead3 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
levelhead3 wrote:
V/OCT
TUNE
REGADJ
REGOFS
OFFS1
OFFS2

Thanks John!
If you can before you make any changes mark the original position using a fine point Sharpie or what ever works so you can set it back to the way it was if needed. cool
Rex Coil 7
levelhead3 wrote:
hsosdrum wrote:

The problem isn't the LFO's amplitude, it's that LFO's are bipolar - so they're driving the cutoff frequency down through half the waveform. As the cutoff frequency control dictates the center point for this modulation, it's a problem when through most of the control's travel the cutoff frequency is already lower than expected/desired.

I do not own a Q125 but I believe you can adjust the input signal's offset with that module. You may then adjust the amplitude with the Q125 along with the offset ...

seriously, i just don't get it
hsosdrum
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
levelhead3 wrote:
hsosdrum wrote:

I do not own a Q125 but I believe you can adjust the input signal's offset with that module. You may then adjust the amplitude with the Q125 along with the offset ...

seriously, i just don't get it

What Rex said. The Q125 can add a -5V voltage offset. I'm currently using my 125s with EGs that output between 0V and+5V. The Q125's negative offset allows the EGs to close filters waaaaaaaaay more than they could when the EGs are connected directly to the filter's VC inputs.
Dave Peck
regardless of how an incoming CV signal gets processed, the complaint in the original comment is describing something that does not seem right at all. Turning the cutoff knob half-way up (to 12 o'clock') and there is still no audible effect of the filter opening?? That sounds like the filter is just not operating correctly.

Check it this way: patch pink noise or white noise into the filter. Set the filter to LOWPASS. Turn the resonance up pretty high, about 80%.

Now, sweeping the cutoff knob SHOULD change the sound, going from a low rumble to bright unfiltered noise, and the change should be smoothly controlled by the cutoff knob - it should not be normal for the entire first half of the knob travel to have no effect on the cutoff frequency.
diophantine
I'll echo what Dave suggests as a test, but would like to add:

Are you using the dedicated Low-Pass Output, or the Mixed Output?

With the Mode pot CCW (Low-Pass Mode), do those outputs behave the same, or differently? (Turn the Mode Modulation pot CCW, too, just in case...)
JohnLRice
Note: I have two 505's here, a pre-productions prototype that was sent to me for testing and demoing and another one that I bought from Noisebug last year. I checked both today and they behave very differently! The prototype self resonates easily but can't fully cutoff the output when the frequency knob is fully counter clockwise, but the newer production one can't self resonate at all but does cut off the output, at least it can reduce a pink noise input to a slow sub sonic range.

I'll experiment with adjusting the trimmers on mine at some point but I'm wondering if the design of the circuit only allows for one or the other responses? hmmm..... Something to keep in mind for folks trying to make adjustments.
levelhead3
Dave has the right of it, this has nothing to do with the processing of the CV inputs. Both the fixed and variable frequency control inputs work exactly as expected.

I mentioned CV in the original post only to point out that adding a +5v CV brought the response of the cutoff frequency control into the expected range - to highlight the fact that as-is it appears to be set way too low. Sorry if that confused the issue.

Also sorry I didn't make my originally testing methodology clearer - white noise into the signal input, no CV input, filter mode all the way counter clockwise, regeneration control set to 3:00 or higher, cutoff frequency control set all the way counter clockwise and then slowly raised - the cutoff frequency remains subsonic until 11:00 or so. There is no difference between the mixed and dedicated low pass outputs.

Every other low pass filter I have has a discernible frequency sweep throughout the cutoff frequency control's range.
JohnLRice
levelhead3 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
levelhead3 wrote:
V/OCT
TUNE
REGADJ
REGOFS
OFFS1
OFFS2

Thanks John!
Yes, it is indeed the Tune trim pot. (it's a 10 turn pot so not possible to mark it before changing but it's pretty easy to hear whats going on and the change is gradual). I played around with my newer factory production one which didn't seem to be doing a lot between 0 to 5 but it did cut off the output completely when fully counter clockwise. After adjusting it back and forth I settled on a setting where nothing really happens between 0 - 0.5 (although the output isn't completely cut off) on the low end and also no obvious effect between about 8.2 - 10 on the high end. I tried all of the other trimmers (except the 1v/oct) to try to determine what they affect but couldn't determine that they did anything. hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it

Here's a quick Instagram video for reference. I had the regen cranked all the way clockwise.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByaEF6mhU4u/
Thalassa
JohnLRice wrote:
no obvious effect between about 8.2 - 10 on the high end.

That might be that the filter is fully open and the resonance is going ultra-sonic. The best way to see it is to connect it to an oscilloscope and check if the resonance frequency is changing between 8,2 and 10
levelhead3
JohnLRice wrote:
levelhead3 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
levelhead3 wrote:
V/OCT
TUNE
REGADJ
REGOFS
OFFS1
OFFS2

Thanks John!
Yes, it is indeed the Tune trim pot. (it's a 10 turn pot so not possible to mark it before changing but it's pretty easy to hear whats going on and the change is gradual). I played around with my newer factory production one which didn't seem to be doing a lot between 0 to 5 but it did cut off the output completely when fully counter clockwise. After adjusting it back and forth I settled on a setting where nothing really happens between 0 - 0.5 (although the output isn't completely cut off) on the low end and also no obvious effect between about 8.2 - 10 on the high end. I tried all of the other trimmers (except the 1v/oct) to try to determine what they affect but couldn't determine that they did anything. hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it

Here's a quick Instagram video for reference. I had the regen cranked all the way clockwise.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByaEF6mhU4u/

we're not worthy

Thanks John. I will check out the vid then take a crack at it this weekend and report back.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1