MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5U Knobs: info, resources, alternatives, opinions, jokes ;-)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 5U Knobs: info, resources, alternatives, opinions, jokes ;-)
JohnLRice
I know it was discussed somewhere in some thread but I can't find it and my Google-Fu is failing me! meh d'oh! I want to buy a handful of the knobs like are used on the STG envelope generators and like Chrutil used on the CV attenuator pots for his MU Plaits etc. I suspect they aren't made by Cosmo but are a third party part? hmmm.....

They are 16mm in diameter with a 19mm diameter skirt and are 17mm tall.

Audiohub
These look like the types available at Small Bear electronics.

They have both splined and set screw types in several sizes, and lots of other stuff as well.
JohnLRice
Audiohub wrote:
These look like the types available at Small Bear electronics.

They have both splined and set screw types in several sizes, and lots of other stuff as well.
Ahh, thanks Audiohub! thumbs up I thought I had looked through SmallBear but apparently missed them the first time. These look like the ones I want:
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/synth-pointer-4-colors/

My initial measurement of "16mm in diameter with a 19mm diameter skirt and are 17mm tall" was a bit off too. I removed one to get a better height measuerment and they are only 15.8mm tall, same as the 5/8" that the SmallBear ones are.
Chrutil
Hi John,
Yes indeed I am using those Smallbear knobs on my MU modules.
Specifically, on the Plaits module I used the “Large Fluted Silver Center” and the “Synth Pointer #4” from the “Knobs 1/4" Diameter, Set Screw” collection.
They have both set screw and no set screw versions, but I like the set screw version the best.
Having spent a small fortune on bonafide Cosmo knobs for some sequencers I made in the past I was very happy to find these at Smallbear at a quarter of the price, its very hard to tell the difference unless you look inside the knob.

Thanks,
C
coyoteous
Glad this came up... I actually thought about starting a thread after google-searching here a few days back.

I did know Small Bear was a source because I had a few extras that came from there... glad others beat me to that info.

Anyway, I happened to have the exact number I needed to swap out the little knobs on a Q107A and a Krisp1/Oakley MU Slim B.

They look night and day better to me than the little knobs Roger uses... strangely, all my other Krisp1/Oakley MU modules already had this type for the small knobs.

I have some other MU modules that use them, as well... so, my "Mutique" system only has four types of knobs now: these little guys, the normal Moogy kind (at least two variants, though), a few of the big Moogies, and the regular size without the skirt (like Moon 569, etc.).

I'd go on here about the normal size variants, but I'm knobbed-out (don't even get me started on my MOTM-format module variants... mostly Alco, but many not... anyway, I suppose I'll sort that out next, but probably not this month).

Try these on the modules I mentioned though, and I think you'll like 'em (maybe on other .com, etc. modules with small knobs, too?).
JohnLRice
Chrutil wrote:
Hi John,
Yes indeed I am using those Smallbear knobs on my MU modules.
Specifically, on the Plaits module I used the “Large Fluted Silver Center” and the “Synth Pointer #4” from the “Knobs 1/4" Diameter, Set Screw” collection.
They have both set screw and no set screw versions, but I like the set screw version the best.
Having spent a small fortune on bonafide Cosmo knobs for some sequencers I made in the past I was very happy to find these at Smallbear at a quarter of the price, its very hard to tell the difference unless you look inside the knob.

Thanks,
C
Thanks! thumbs up
coyoteous
JohnLRice: Do you mind if this becomes a general 5U knob thread?

Also... didn't mean to confuse matters referring to the short little .com knobs, which I guess are Cosmos? (Roger seems to have some deep sourcing, so who knows?)

For the record, they're fine, but on the modules I mentioned, I like these tall/small(bear) ones a lot better... might not be a good substitute for them in every case, though.
JohnLRice
coyoteous wrote:
JohnLRice: Do you mind if this becomes a general 5U knob thread?

Also... didn't mean to confuse matters referring to the short little .com knobs, which I guess are Cosmos? (Roger seems to have some deep sourcing, so who knows?)

For the record, they're fine, but on the modules I mentioned, I like these tall/small(bear) ones a lot better... might not be a good substitute for them in every case, though.
Don't mind at all, I'll even change the title! thumbs up

coyoteous
lol... excellent!
JohnLRice
On a few of my modules with tightly spaced knobs like some of the newer DotCom ++ modules and sequencers like the UEG and sympleSEG, I've switched to using Davies 1900 style knobs. While not "Moog" style and not even "MOTM" style at all, I like their clean/simple/handsome look and since they are narrower than the tiny MOTM style knobs originally used, it makes using the modules more pleasant and I dare say . . . even better looking.
(hides)

The reason I want to get a bunch of those “Synth Pointer #4” knobs from Small Bear (just placed my order w00t ) is mainly for modules like the COTK C914E Channel Enhancer whose 19.5 diameter knobs are very close together with only 7mm between them! eek!
josaka
What a bunch of knobists..

JohnLRice
josaka wrote:
confused Are you saying we are sKnobs? Mr. Green
josaka
JohnLRice wrote:
josaka wrote:
confused Are you saying we are sKnobs? Mr. Green

this sounds like a trip to the doctor is required..
JohnLRice
Kilo International makes beautiful knobs, and I really appreciate their sense of humor! thumbs up http://www.kilointernational.com/

MrNezumi
JohnLRice wrote:
My initial measurement of "16mm in diameter with a 19mm diameter skirt and are 17mm tall" was a bit off too. I removed one to get a better height measuerment and they are only 15.8mm tall, same as the 5/8" that the SmallBear ones are.

So, John is obsessing over the size of his knob and trying to convince us his smaller knob performs better.....
JohnLRice
MrNezumi wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

So, John is obsessing over the size of his knob and trying to convince us his smaller knob performs better.....
nodnod spinning
sduck
Kilo looks great! I'm goingto have to get some of those...

"WE COULD MAKE A REALLY BIG KNOB ... WE JUST CHOOSE NOT TO."
Rex Coil 7
... shucks ... I have over one hundred of the Dot Com phenolic Cosmo knobs, and for just a few moments I thought I still had the smaller ones on hand but as it turns out I only have the "one inch" ones left.

I actually DO have the smaller ones, but those came off of the "Q181 XXX" controller modules I've converted to colored knobs ... but I need to keep them in the event I ever sell any of those controller modules.

Dang me! sad banana
coyoteous
Been knob gazing again today... I think I'm cool with the two different regular-sized MU knobs (3/4" skirted/Moogy/Cosmo-type):

1) .com/polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride/bakelite? - more rounded on the top/fluting... maybe a little different sheen

2) seems to be the kind everyone else uses - different kind of plastic? (basically, sharper edges/maybe lighter... kind of gave a different "tick" tapping with a fingernail, etc.)

Anyway, made it all the way to "who cares," finally... I think it would bother me a little having both kinds on one module, but I'll bring that up at my next therapy session.

Need to look over the 1.25" skirted big-boys next (that's just not right, but I'm leavin' it... yeah, knob and skirt/skirtless not to mention muff land mine dancing on this one).

Also tried some black with brass insert Davies 1900H clones that I got to swap out with my colored euro Davies (STG, etc.)... they look good for the small MU knobs, but I like the 1/2" skirted tall/smallbears a little better.

They'll serve me well replacing a few different colors in euro... it was getting a little "jellybean."

Added: I'll probably regret writing this, but Roger's big knob is maybe a little different than the others... OK, done now.
Xero
Heres some cool knobs I got today. Not actually for 5u but it's for moog so it's totally related right? They're Davies 1216. These were the style of knobs moog used for a brief period of time in 1974. I'm restoring my 1974 minimoog and wanted to find new ones to match the originals (as seen on left). They're pretty darn close but the quality of the line was definitely higher on the originals. I can live with these though. Bit more compact than the chickenheads and I like the look myself.

This is how this model d looked originally and I wanted to keep it that way. Also just replaced the frontpanel and all the bushings. It's been a fun adventure
coyoteous
Xero: What's the serial #?

Mine's 4441 and has those type knobs for the pointers... need to pull it out to compare for my next knob frenzy (also Sonic Six and Moog rack effects: 12 stage phaser and parametric, but those have different knobs than the modulars and Mini... I think the effects are more like Memory Moog knobs).

Also, what I was calling 3/4" and 1/2" above are 1" and 3/4" respectively... think the 1.25" was the only one I got right.

https://www.resynthesis.shop/epages/zuunneamm4zd.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=  /Shops/zuunneamm4zd/Categories/Category2
JohnLRice
I just took delivery of 60 knobz! screaming goo yo
Xero
coyoteous wrote:
Xero: What's the serial #?

Mine's 4441 and has those type knobs for the pointers... need to pull it out to compare for my next knob frenzy (also Sonic Six and Moog rack effects: 12 stage phaser and parametric, but those have different knobs than the modulars and Mini... I think the effects are more like Memory Moog knobs).

Also, what I was calling 3/4" and 1/2" above are 1" and 3/4" respectively... think the 1.25" was the only one I got right.

https://www.resynthesis.shop/epages/zuunneamm4zd.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=  /Shops/zuunneamm4zd/Categories/Category2

Ahh my serial is 4872 I think. I think its dated 6/74 in a few places. The old front panel i ripped off had a sticker that said it was made by duralith in 1973. So they must have sourced some parts earlier....
hsosdrum
JohnLRice wrote:

John, any time I feel like my synthmania is getting out of control, all I have to do is look at what you're up to and I don't feel crazy at all! hihi

As always, YOU F-IN ROCK, MY MAN!!! we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
Thalassa
JohnLRice wrote:

The only thing that I don't like of these knobs is that they are taller than the normal 1 inch ones very frustrating
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2