MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moogerfooger Prices...WTF
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Moogerfooger Prices...WTF
deltaphoenix
Disconinued does not equal rare... I mean, these weren't built by one guy in his basement in small batches. I know some were more on the expensive side and then there were some of the really expensive delays that actually did have limited numbers but DAMN.

I never thought that people would ask for and get $400 for a used filter much less $500 for the phaser and so on.

I had thought that I didn't want these anymore but I have found myself wanting them again yet I just can't allow myself to pay the current prices.

WHY MOOG WHY!?!?!?
kwaidan
I’ve also seen the Minifooger delay go for inflated prices used.
Heavenly3lues
Pretty crazy, eh? I recently bought a brand new MF-104M at the Moog Factory in April for $999. I knew used prices were higher, so I was OK paying this, despite not really wanting to. That put me up to two Moogerfoogers and I wanted a third to fill out a rack. I ended up paying too much ($450) for a brand new MF-101 in May, but figured prices weren't going down anytime soon. I also bought a brand new CP-251 at the same time for the normal new price. Really kicking myself for not getting the ones I wanted from Sweetwater when they were announced as discontinued. My MF-101 serial number was nearly 16,000. They definitely aren't rare! My brand new MF-104M was almost serial number 4,800. The more popular ones definitely shouldn't be high priced. Unfortunately, it'll probably be that way unless Moog puts out a Eurofooger line, in which everyone will flog their Moogerfoogers for the new, hot thing and then we can scoop up the rest. I'd still love a 12 stage phaser and a MIDI Murf. Not sure what 3rd one I'd add to it.
Jason Brock
deltaphoenix wrote:
Disconinued does not equal rare...

Yes, as for the original three, there are tons of them floating around. I've bought and sold many, and my current Phaser has a serial number over 10,000.

I'd say we can blame the guitar pedal community. They are accustomed to paying $1,000+ for pedals that sometimes only contain a couple of transistors and a handful of other components.

But on the other hand, prices for a lot of things have gone up steeply in the past year or two. The Oberheim Matrix 1000 comes to mind. Sure it is older, but there are tons of them available too. And also look at the asking prices for used Cwejman modules. Those ARE still being manufactured, just very slowly in small batches. Some peoples be crazy.
Synth Con Meo
Yeah it's getting a bit crazy with the pricing. Luckily I have (1) of each, all bought used but I think I paid a decent price at the time. My first one was actually an MF-104M which was just after they discontinued them. I think I paid a little over $700 for it (knowing new they were something like $650) but paying a little more for a real nice used one didn't bother me too much. I ended up buying another used one because I came I found it on the local Craigslist for $600.00 so I couldn't pass it up.

I also have 2 or 3 Minifoogers but those are starting to go up in price used now too.
Panason
Quote:
They are accustomed to paying $1,000+ for pedals

Midlifecrisisfooger
dkcg
Jason Brock wrote:
I'd say we can blame the guitar pedal community. They are accustomed to paying $1,000+ for pedals that sometimes only contain a couple of transistors and a handful of other components.

Surely a fuzz with half a dozen or so parts and a few inches of wiring and a enclosure with some stickers, a plectrum, and a bag for the pedal is worth it to buy and rarely play and never on a stage is worth the $1000 plus and admiration from other likeminded group thinkers and fetishists.

I paid $600 for my 104M and I was hesitant with that price, and was hoping to one day get the 101 simply for the envelope output, but F that now.
CF3
I noticed this a awhile ago, and it’s not just Moog pedals.

Honestly, nothing surprises me when it comes to gear prices anymore. It’s beyond shark-jumping. It’s Evel Knievel jumping the Snake River Canyon in a rocket type prices. It’s Bay Area real estate bubblelicious territory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
rowsbywoof
The prices will likely come down with time. They’re pretty fresh off the market, and like you said, there’s tons of each out there. Right now your seeing speculators and FOMO buyers. Both think the price will continue to rise, but overtime the market will saturate with used ‘foogers and bargains will be had. I’d wait it out. There are tons. With some patience I bet you’ll get them in a more comfy price range.
donato
rowsbywoof wrote:
The prices will likely come down with time. They’re pretty fresh off the market, and like you said, there’s tons of each out there. Right now your seeing speculators and FOMO buyers. Both think the price will continue to rise, but overtime the market will saturate with used ‘foogers and bargains will be had. I’d wait it out. There are tons. With some patience I bet you’ll get them in a more comfy price range.

I wouldn’t be so sure. The delay has always been high even after brief reissues.
Struggle
yeah, there are 14 MF-104m for sale on Reverb right now so not exactly rare. I bought some in a fomo panic then felt silly about spending so much on fx that I usually drench in reverb anyway. They are fun to play with and sound great though.
calaveras
I got fed up with Moog's shitty customer service and spotty firmware a couple years ago and sold all my Moogerfoogers.
Except my Big Briar MF101. That's on the fix it pile. I tried replacing a pot on it and it started sounding totally wrong so I need to go back to I know-how-to-fix-things school.
naos
Bought a used MF-102 for 200€, it's the only one I wanted anyway, but the other models just don't make any sense price-wise.
Plumbstone
Struggle wrote:
yeah, there are 14 MF-104m for sale on Reverb right now so not exactly rare. I bought some in a fomo panic then felt silly about spending so much on fx that I usually drench in reverb anyway. They are fun to play with and sound great though.

This one must be rarer than the others! Apparently it's 'predicted to sell soon".
nectarios
Sold my MF-102/103/107/108M years ago...I had an MF-104M on loan but never bought that...I lost a bit of money then on the sale...should have waited I guess...oh well.
tioJim
Panason wrote:
Quote:
They are accustomed to paying $1,000+ for pedals

Midlifecrisisfooger

And for those specifically wanting a MIDI Murf ...

MIDI-lifecrisisfooger
gentle_attack
The Moog 104m is the phoniest pedal out there. It's basically a hardware extension of your DAW, you can't access 75% of the features without using midi, which isn't saved on power down. You can't link the modulation and delay to the tap switch at the same, you have to tap, hold to switch modes, tap again. You can't even do basic subdivisions like dotted eighth, without midi. Tempo synced LFO- sweet. Oh wait you can't access that to send to other foogers, it's only to control the modulation time internally.

Want to use an analog clock to clock your 104m? Sorry, no can do brother, it's tap by foot or midi only (you can use CV to modulate the time, if you're using the knob (not tap or midi which makes them battle for priority and go wonky) but it does not accept a clock.

For something that they claim was the delay to end all delays, I personally think it's a stinking pile of dung, not to mention the comical price.

Besides all of these grievances... The DMMwTT Panasonic I have killed the 104m on sound as well. Moog really had some balls on that one, not to mention the "sd" version which was similarly handcuffed yet even more expensive.
donato
gentle_attack wrote:
The Moog 104m is the phoniest pedal out there. It's basically a hardware extension of your DAW, you can't access 75% of the features without using midi, which isn't saved on power down. You can't link the modulation and delay to the tap switch at the same, you have to tap, hold to switch modes, tap again. You can't even do basic subdivisions like dotted eighth, without midi. Tempo synced LFO- sweet. Oh wait you can't access that to send to other foogers, it's only to control the modulation time internally.

Want to use an analog clock to clock your 104m? Sorry, no can do brother, it's tap by foot or midi only (you can use CV to modulate the time, if you're using the knob (not tap or midi which makes them battle for priority and go wonky) but it does not accept a clock.

For something that they claim was the delay to end all delays, I personally think it's a stinking pile of dung, not to mention the comical price.

Besides all of these grievances... The DMMwTT Panasonic I have killed the 104m on sound as well. Moog really had some balls on that one, not to mention the "sd" version which was similarly handcuffed yet even more expensive.

You either love the 104 sound or you don't I guess. It's not for everyone.
gentle_attack
I didn't think it sounded terrible, but I was extremely unimpressed with the necessity of fiddling with MIDI to access what I would consider basic features, and I use midi and Elektrons all the time. I can't imagine being a guitar only person and not being extremely frustrated with the design choices.

The DMMwTT has a clock in, easily accessible tap sub divisions, is much brighter on long delay times (less LP filtering than the 104m, if you want that sound you can always stick a EQ or LPF in the effects loop), and has a very serviceable range of modulation. The 104m can do way more crazy delays, especially if you sync the mod and clock to a midi master, but other than 'delay as sound design' I found the DMMwTT way more useful.

I still want to cop a RKM Tonal Recall and see what that's all about. I really like the idea of ramping along with sine or triangle modulation. That's the kind of thing I'd use MATHs and a precision adder for in modular, pretty cool to have that built right into a pedal, ready to rock.
nectarios
I was also unimpressed by the sound of the 104m...just way too dark sounding and nothing in there that made me think about paying even half for it. I understand the need to filter out BBD noise but, yeah...nope.

Actually that is the way I feel about all the other Moogerfoogers I owned.
donato
I've owned the 104m and the 104z (and the much more limited minifooger delay) and I never used the midi functions tbh on the m. Twisting knobs was good enough for me. The dark sound is a big part of the character, so yeah, if that doesn't sound good to you then it's a no-go. For others that's the appeal.
Jd1979
They aren’t that bad. Look at STS and Buchla. Way expensice
EPTC
I don't mind the ebbing flowing price of Moog stuff. It makes sense - They're really wonderful creative tools. Most people aren't collecting so much as seeking a sound or feature set.

The filter does sort of amuse me for going up in value, just because it's so present in other Moog items. For same money you can get a Slim Phatty module (one of the best and least appreciated Moog items) - This will give you all the functionality of the MF-101 with a full two voice synth, better envelope, arpeggiator!, etc. Just plug audio into the Slim and make the two synth voices 0% volume with the gate open. Keep the gate closed and send it CV to ping the envelopes and you have a keyboard-driven MF101.

Slim Phatty currently goes for around $500. First moog I ever bought and it is still an amazing synth voice and utility.
thevegasnerve
EPTC wrote:
I don't mind the ebbing flowing price of Moog stuff. It makes sense - They're really wonderful creative tools. Most people aren't collecting so much as seeking a sound or feature set.

The filter does sort of amuse me for going up in value, just because it's so present in other Moog items. For same money you can get a Slim Phatty module (one of the best and least appreciated Moog items) - This will give you all the functionality of the MF-101 with a full two voice synth, better envelope, arpeggiator!, etc. Just plug audio into the Slim and make the two synth voices 0% volume with the gate open. Keep the gate closed and send it CV to ping the envelopes and you have a keyboard-driven MF101.

Slim Phatty currently goes for around $500. First moog I ever bought and it is still an amazing synth voice and utility.

I think the form factor really just works for the Moogerfoogers, even the low pass filter. And they can handle whatever you throw at them. The pedals are so responsive, almost buttery and full of surprises. If you are a tweaker, they just are an immense amount of fun. I love my Eventides and the Strymons, but they are nothing like the Moogs. The prices are out of my reach now, but things change...

But I totally agree that the Slim is such a nice value right now if you want that filter and vibe..
Jason Brock
EPTC wrote:
For same money you can get a Slim Phatty module (one of the best and least appreciated Moog items) - This will give you all the functionality of the MF-101 with a full two voice synth, better envelope, arpeggiator!

The answer goes back to the guitar crowd, where a pedal version of the filter is much more desirable. It has a footswitch, can be ran off pedalboard power supplies (with inverter) and the envelope follower circuit is generally more useful to a guitarist/bassist than a triggered ADSR.

And Josh Homme uses one, OMG, I must buy one now at any cost!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4