Moogerfooger Prices...WTF

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:11 am

So, I succumbed to my moogerfooging desires and scooped up a MF-101 for $320. I want to find a MF-103 somewhere in the same price range but $350 is probably as low as they go these days. I wouldn’t mind a few more eventually too.

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:34 pm

I love my 104-Z's. I love my MuRF. I have never had a desire to have all the complications of MIDI on my pedals.
As to price, I have about 2K in 9 Foogers. That's around 225 each.
I like the psycho prices as I am getting good return on the couple I am selling off out of the current batch. Selling a 104-Z, 12stage phaser, ring mod and bass MuRF have covered the cost of the 9 I still have.
To me, psycho pricing is guitar pricing. That shit is unfathomable.
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:57 am

These days $1000 is getting close to the price of a half decent polysynth, and someone would pay that for a stompbox?

Above a basic threshold, most filters, BBD delays, phasers etc. are more similar than different. (My current favourite phaser is a $40 Akai one). I guess the Moog name carries kudos, but common sense should surely kick in at some point.

The use of a $100 pedal over a $1000 one isn't going to condemn a great track to failure. And a $1000 analogue delay isn't going to save a crap musical idea.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:34 am

Blairio wrote:These days $1000 is getting close to the price of a half decent polysynth, and someone would pay that for a stompbox?

Above a basic threshold, most filters, BBD delays, phasers etc. are more similar than different. (My current favourite phaser is a $40 Akai one). I guess the Moog name carries kudos, but common sense should surely kick in at some point.

The use of a $100 pedal over a $1000 one isn't going to condemn a great track to failure. And a $1000 analogue delay isn't going to save a crap musical idea.
It is a little insane, but the truth is there is nothing else out there that can go to the places the 104 delay does. The minifooger delay has the character but not the range of psychodelia.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:41 pm

donato wrote:
Blairio wrote:These days $1000 is getting close to the price of a half decent polysynth, and someone would pay that for a stompbox?

It is a little insane, but the truth is there is nothing else out there that can go to the places the 104 delay does. The minifooger delay has the character but not the range of psychodelia.
You really belive that?

Tonal Recall
DMMwTT (or even the DMBwTT)
Memory Lane (jr or the big boys)
Supa Puss

I have said this a few time but I found the 104-m to be massively underwhelming, the requirement of MIDI to do basic tasks like tap tempo subdivisions was pretty much lightyears from "psychedelic." I totally thought the synced LFO would be tapable to use throughout the 'fooger universe... indeed not, it's only available for the delay time. The fact that you couldn't sync the delay time to the LFO rate without doing a tap dance and holding switches... even all that aside, the Panasonic DMMwTT v1 that I had sounds way better and has modulation that's usable and scalable (I also found the 104-m's modualtion to be 95% unusable unless you're just trying to create rhythmic chaotic noise.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:54 pm

Pretty much, although there are few pedals that allow the CV control that Moogers do, making them a bit different than most pedals. Even Chase and EHX pedals with CV control are more limited. But I’d find it hard to spend $1K on one just because of that.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm not beating on moog here: my latest synth is a Grandmother, whose price came in comfortably under $1000, for a complete instrument, with a great filter and spring reverb.

I have tried and loved gorgeous pedals from Strymon and the like, which I guess cost around $500+.

Its just the thought of paying for an effects pedal what you could buy a complete synth or guitar for, eats at my stingy Scottish soul. "Every penny's a prisoner"!

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:16 am

The MF-103 Phaser is the only one I've kept. I've never found another phaser that sounds as good, it's truly unique.

They're all top-notch quality effects, but not worth the price to me because I would't use the CV jacks that often. The Ring Mod sounds great and I had one for 15 years, but recently replace it with a Fairfield Circuitry Randy's Revenge. It sounds every bit as good as the MF, and actually maybe a little better because the square wave setting doesn't pop as much as the MF.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:26 am

gentle_attack wrote:
donato wrote:

You really belive that?

Tonal Recall
DMMwTT (or even the DMBwTT)
Memory Lane (jr or the big boys)
Supa Puss

I have said this a few time but I found the 104-m to be massively underwhelming, the requirement of MIDI to do basic tasks like tap tempo subdivisions was pretty much lightyears from "psychedelic." I totally thought the synced LFO would be tapable to use throughout the 'fooger universe... indeed not, it's only available for the delay time. The fact that you couldn't sync the delay time to the LFO rate without doing a tap dance and holding switches... even all that aside, the Panasonic DMMwTT v1 that I had sounds way better and has modulation that's usable and scalable (I also found the 104-m's modualtion to be 95% unusable unless you're just trying to create rhythmic chaotic noise.
To each their own. I had a 104z, minifooger, and now have a 104m. I’ve never used any of the midi features and never sync tempo like that anyway. I paid $650 for mine so there’s that too. If you can’t afford the Moog delay or like something better, then by all means use that. But to my ears the 104’s are a cut above. The delays on he matriarch are also very nice. Unfortunately you can’t take them with you if you sell the synth.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:08 pm

deltaphoenix wrote:So, I succumbed to my moogerfooging desires and scooped up a MF-101 for $320..
I've seen Moog Minitaurs go for 350. Could have used the external input and the filter on that one, which is rather good too.

320 for the MF-101 is rather expensive.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:48 pm

nectarios wrote: I've seen Moog Minitaurs go for 350. Could have used the external input and the filter on that one, which is rather good too.

320 for the MF-101 is rather expensive.
Eh, the $300 range for the original trio is OK as long as they don't go any higher. That's what they were new, and now they are discontinued.

Obvious advantages of the 101 would be that it is in pedal form (footswitches), and it has a built in envelope follower. The follower only has Fast/Smooth settings though, which is limiting. If you have a modular synth then it is probably a redundant piece of gear, but if you are a guitarist or want to use it in a pedalboard setup then it's worth that price over a Minitaur.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:42 am

I bought the MF-101 for my bass rig. Despite having a modular, I still like my bass to be synthy at times. Bonus for using with Drum machines, iPad and other synths.

Trust me, I don’t want to pay above $250 for a used one, I waited a long time, started this thread to bitch about the fooger prices and finally gave in because sound I wanted and form factor.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:40 am

Fair enough if you want *that* sound and form factor.
I guess its expensive still for me as I thought these where way too expensive when they where readily available, brand new.

But yeah, people sell them for these prices, cause people buy them at these prices, so there you go

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:06 am

Well, I found an MF-103 in the price range that I wanted. I am good on footers for awhile!

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:12 pm

yeah, that's a great one. Its hard to say if we will get a price drop over the next few years.. I wouldn't sell any of mine, but sure wouldn't mind the freq box again..

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:56 pm

I always wanted a 103, but slept on it forever and ever and ever. Looking now, they're still not dumb money for a quality stomp-box. These days there's no shortage of $500 stomp boxes that are cool as fuck, but... yeah $500 is sort of entry level for a lot of stuff now in the boutique range, and few of them come close to the build quality of the older 'foogers.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Just noticed the Minifoogers seem out of production, too. Did I miss that happening? (pardon if it's even included on this thread) The delay for the mini seems to be climbing in price, too.

everydaycurry
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Moogerfooger Prices...WTF

Post by everydaycurry » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Jason Brock wrote: I'd say we can blame the guitar pedal community. They are accustomed to paying $1,000+ for pedals that sometimes only contain a couple of transistors and a handful of other components.
I wouldn't go that far. Some of the UK fuzz pedal makers get $400-500 and Macaris approaches $800 for a couple of their reissues but that's a tiny share of the fuzz/drive/etc. world.

There are five recent-vintage (post-2010) fuzz pedals listed on Reverb for $1000+ out of 3,883. 14 for $750+.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:55 pm

EPTC wrote:Just noticed the Minifoogers seem out of production, too. Did I miss that happening? (pardon if it's even included on this thread)
Literally the first line of the first post :miley:

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Moogerfooger Prices...WTF

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:59 pm

everydaycurry wrote:
Jason Brock wrote: I'd say we can blame the guitar pedal community. They are accustomed to paying $1,000+ for pedals that sometimes only contain a couple of transistors and a handful of other components.
I wouldn't go that far. Some of the UK fuzz pedal makers get $400-500 and Macaris approaches $800 for a couple of their reissues but that's a tiny share of the fuzz/drive/etc. world.

There are five recent-vintage (post-2010) fuzz pedals listed on Reverb for $1000+ out of 3,883. 14 for $750+.
Yeah $300+ is still the exception not the rule. I’m guessing the prices will come down if Moog has some sort of replacement line—sort of like the Teenage Engineering OP-1 price spike when it was out of production for like a week.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:53 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
EPTC wrote:Just noticed the Minifoogers seem out of production, too. Did I miss that happening? (pardon if it's even included on this thread)
Literally the first line of the first post :miley:
Ha, I'll take the ribbing, but also just double checked - Doesn't say the minifoogers are out of production on either pages of this thread, just their price is also increasing.

I'll raise your one Miley to my two!! :miley: :miley:

:mrgreen: :razz:

grenert
Common Wiggler

Post by grenert » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:27 am

Yes, the Minifoogers are also discontinued. They now appear in the legacy products section of the Moog site along with their big cousins.

Biom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biom » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:39 pm

Jason Brock wrote:The MF-103 Phaser is the only one I've kept. I've never found another phaser that sounds as good, it's truly unique.

They're all top-notch quality effects, but not worth the price to me because I would't use the CV jacks that often.
There're also the Mutron and the Krautrock, but the 103 sounds most "hi-end" and is very transparent to me.

They absolutely worth their price (while being in production, of course), as the patching ability makes them very versatile, not to say unlimited. Plug the LFO jack into your 101 and save yourself tons of space and money, as you are covered with tremolo, vibrato and I'm not even saying "audio-rate". Endless variations from just two pedals.
Not a big fan of the delay, though, and the Cluster Flux could also be replaced by the Ce-1 and an ADA, which sound much better.

The 102 could still be grabbed for a decent price, even new. Best ringmod I've ever heard.

I think the fact that not everyone in 2019 still has a fooger is the reason why the line (best Moog product imho) is discontinued. It didn't sell well, which is what Moog has always been about. Must be proud of their Motherfather inventions.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:26 am

I have a 103 that I bought new in 2012. It's an amazing unit; sounds great and the CV I/O practically turns it into a mini-synth. I really need to use it more in my recordings.

I had various opportunities to grab a 101 for a good price, but never considered it, given that I have a decent-sized MU modular, which can do whatever the 101 does. Now that I'm also playing bass, I wish I had grabbed one.

Currently, I'm in talks with a local dude who's selling a 102 and a 105 (original MuRF). I've always wanted to try the 102, but never cared much for the MuRFs until I saw an experimental guitarist use one on stage. If I end up getting them, it would be around $260 for each, which I think is a good price. I have an unused 10U rack where I would put them, and an unused patchbay to bring all connections to front, and I know a store who still sells the rack mounting kit.

Funch
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Funch » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Jason Brock wrote:
EPTC wrote:For same money you can get a Slim Phatty module (one of the best and least appreciated Moog items) - This will give you all the functionality of the MF-101 with a full two voice synth, better envelope, arpeggiator!
The answer goes back to the guitar crowd, where a pedal version of the filter is much more desirable. It has a footswitch, can be ran off pedalboard power supplies (with inverter) and the envelope follower circuit is generally more useful to a guitarist/bassist than a triggered ADSR.

And Josh Homme uses one, OMG, I must buy one now at any cost!
I'm part of the guitar crowd and agree with EPTC. I own a slim phatty and besides audio access to the Moog filter you get all the other features of an analog synth such a midi triggered osc without the worry of a bar patron spilling beer on your pedal board setup.

Could someone point me to a YouTube video or recording where a guitarist or keyboardist is making good music (not just noise) with the moogfogger filter pedal?

Return to “General Gear”