Moogerfooger Prices...WTF

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:09 pm

donato wrote:
fac wrote:A local store has the 101, 102 and 103 for sale (new). About $375 each. Not sure if I should grab the 101.
I'd say grab both the 102 and especially the 103.
Already have a 103 and might get a second hand 102 from a local musician. I would like to complete the trio with a 101. I don't know if it's worth $375, but I do know they will only get more expensive in time.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:38 am

fac wrote:
donato wrote:
fac wrote:A local store has the 101, 102 and 103 for sale (new). About $375 each. Not sure if I should grab the 101.
I'd say grab both the 102 and especially the 103.
Already have a 103 and might get a second hand 102 from a local musician. I would like to complete the trio with a 101. I don't know if it's worth $375, but I do know they will only get more expensive in time.
yeah, maybe. I've owned them all more than once. I did the whole go to software thing or give up hardware thing anyway. oops. I just know when I did it again (I previously owned the 101), I didn't need the 101. but that was for my needs. maybe it suits you better. and I agree I think you won't lose money, or if you do it will be almost nothing. it's a worthwhile buy, I just think the other two are More special.

Biom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biom » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:14 am

fac wrote:I don't know if it's worth $375, but I do know they will only get more expensive in time.
Bought mine for something like $300 years ago, so, perhaps, the price on yours is still valid, if it's new. Would definitely not support the resellers, though.

I believe it's a good trio. A very capable one and unique to everything I have heard.

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:00 pm

The 'fooger prices are only hard to stomach because there are so many of them out there, and you have to imagine once the hype of them being sunset dies down that many will enter the used market. But, they're still Moog effects. They still sound freaking great and have really great connectivity and playability, and I can see prices above $400 being the norm.

Again, it's not like pedals from any of the boutique makers are any cheaper, and many of them are in simple metal enclosures. I still think the Moogerfoogers are a good value prop when you think of what you get and the package it is delivered in.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:45 am

rowsbywoof wrote:The 'fooger prices are only hard to stomach because there are so many of them out there, and you have to imagine once the hype of them being sunset dies down that many will enter the used market. But, they're still Moog effects. They still sound freaking great and have really great connectivity and playability, and I can see prices above $400 being the norm.

Again, it's not like pedals from any of the boutique makers are any cheaper, and many of them are in simple metal enclosures. I still think the Moogerfoogers are a good value prop when you think of what you get and the package it is delivered in.
There are a lot out there, but I wouldn't expect them to go lower. The delay has never gone down and continues to rise in price despite periodic rereleases. I'd expect the others to be over $500 as a normal price in 5 years.

toxoplasma_gondii
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toxoplasma_gondii » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:54 pm

donato wrote: There are a lot out there, but I wouldn't expect them to go lower. The delay has never gone down and continues to rise in price despite periodic rereleases. I'd expect the others to be over $500 as a normal price in 5 years.
Even the abundant "original trilogy" (101/102/103) are quite unique for effects pedals insofar far as they sound excellent, and also provide a lot of modular versatility. And aside from the filter, they do not seem easily replaced with modules. I don't see their prices dropping much until Moog reissues the circuits (presumably in a more ergonomic Eurorack-friendly format), which I believe they will do at some point. I can definitely see them creating one or more effects boxes using the Mother-32 form-factor.

Funch
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Funch » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:58 pm

So excuse my ignorance, but what is so magical about that moog delay pedal that people are willing to pay so much money for a used one.

If it were so magical, why would the people who have the most experience with that pedal sell their delay pedal off to folks with the least experience with that pedal?

So many good delays out there on the used market that are way less expensive.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:35 pm

Funch wrote:So excuse my ignorance, but what is so magical about that moog delay pedal that people are willing to pay so much money for a used one.

If it were so magical, why would the people who have the most experience with that pedal sell their delay pedal off to folks with the least experience with that pedal?

Taste is what makes people willing to pay so much.

After having the MF-104 for a day, I would not spend 50€ (yes fifty) to buy one. Way too dark and only for very specific uses where it does not instantly muddy up a mix. The MF-108M I had was very similar.
They both needed processing with EQ post recording and granted that (generally speaking) things need processing, this one needed high passing, boosting (on what was left) over 1-2khz which meant boosting the noise.

Others will say its the best delay ever, which is fair enough, tastes and all that. Everything has to do with what the context is.

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nightly Closures » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:47 pm

Funch wrote:So excuse my ignorance, but what is so magical about that moog delay pedal that people are willing to pay so much money for a used one.

That’s kind of a laughable take... It’s ok to not know what you’re talking about. Like nactarios said, it’s up to taste. I’ve had my 104msd since the day it came out and I’ll never sell it. Unless you’ve had one and used it extensively, what experience are you really speaking from? Constantly moaning about prices is something I’ll never understand. I won’t really fault you for it, though. Wiggle on!

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:01 pm

toxoplasma_gondii wrote: (presumably in a more ergonomic Eurorack-friendly format)
In my book, eurorack is pretty much the opposite of ergonomic. :hihi:

toxoplasma_gondii
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toxoplasma_gondii » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:41 pm

fac wrote:
toxoplasma_gondii wrote: (presumably in a more ergonomic Eurorack-friendly format)
I was referring to Moogerfooger's arrangement of the CV jacks on the rear of the pedal, as opposed to the faceplate where they would be easily accessible. It makes sense for guitar players, but not so much synthesists.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:49 pm

toxoplasma_gondii wrote:
fac wrote:
I was referring to Moogerfooger's arrangement of the CV jacks on the rear of the pedal, as opposed to the faceplate where they would be easily accessible. It makes sense for guitar players, but not so much synthesists.
Those cv jacks on the back suck... dont think it makes sense for anyone, except Moog. Ive got all the MFs except the 107, which I sold off. The layout design should have put the cv jacks on top for easy access, even if they had to make the pedal into a rectangular box!

Even rackmounted, its not really easy to access the jacks. I still love em, dont get me wrong, but a design flaw is a design flaw.

Funch
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Funch » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:39 pm

Nightly Closures wrote:

That’s kind of a laughable take... It’s ok to not know what you’re talking about. Like nactarios said, it’s up to taste. I’ve had my 104msd since the day it came out and I’ll never sell it. Unless you’ve had one and used it extensively, what experience are you really speaking from? Constantly moaning about prices is something I’ll never understand. I won’t really fault you for it, though. Wiggle on!
that's why I was asking because I never had one, so zero experience with one. Almost purchased two of the minimoogfogger delays when b&h was closing them out at $125 , but I have so many delay options already.

But I do need to high cut most all of those delay machines because they are just too bright.

Best delay and reverb I use are the old multi chamber concrete underground rooms in the WWII era forts on Puget Sound. If only I could get that sound in a small box.

Listened to a bunch of real tape delay demos recently and they are ok but not like I remembered when I had one as a youth.

Now, thinking about saving for the moog matrarch just for the stereo delay. People are saying good things about that one and it comes with a nice sounding synth. Thank you both for your opinion.

Return to “General Gear”