MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Afrorack by Brian Bamanya from Uganda
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Afrorack by Brian Bamanya from Uganda
e-grad
Yesterday I have stumbled across an interesting African Special on a French German broadcasting station which features a DIY modular synth from Uganda called Afrorack built by Brian Bamanya. See link below at 6:45 (the programme features some more stuff of interest):

arte Africa Special / German

arte Africa Special / French

Brian Bamyana has his own youtube channel. This one of the vids he has uploaded:

Since the search function is broken I could not check whether Bamyana has been covered here before.
cyclyk
Was about to post about it after seeing it last night on french tv.. it just gives smile!
Shakey Muff
Cool
tardishead
AFRORACK
so good ....... about time too!
cornutt
Sort of has that old-skool PAiA vibe.
ExtrasensoryPerception
loved this!
lauprellim
I love this. I hope there is more of it. Different cultures can teach us so much when using the same or similar tools.

As a professional violinist, I was shocked when I learned that Karnatic musicians in India used the violin in their music for many hundreds of years. Their way of holding the instrument, tuning it, and playing it is very different from the Western school, yet anyone who has ever heard a really top-notch Karnatic violinist has to be blown away by the virtuosity, musicianship and inventiveness.
rayultine
Boiler room just posted a live set from this guy and it is super great. Does he have any releases yet?!
Soy Sos
Reaching out to him.
I've got people in Uganda now.
blw
Interesting. A DIY jam video...

Really big website pic...

electricanada
lauprellim wrote:
I love this. I hope there is more of it. Different cultures can teach us so much when using the same or similar tools.

As a professional violinist, I was shocked when I learned that Karnatic musicians in India used the violin in their music for many hundreds of years. Their way of holding the instrument, tuning it, and playing it is very different from the Western school, yet anyone who has ever heard a really top-notch Karnatic violinist has to be blown away by the virtuosity, musicianship and inventiveness.

You may want to check out the Moroccan violin tradition:

Flexyflier
electricanada wrote:
lauprellim wrote:

You may want to check out the Moroccan violin tradition:

That was cool,think I prefer this to the Indian style.
shimmeringtrashpile
Ya! Brian's music is rad! He has a new set posted courtesy of the Boiler Room and Nyege Nyege Festival over on YouTube.

Also, I managed to interview him recently over on my podcast if anybody is interested in learning more about the Afrorack, his creative inspirations, etc. He gave a shout out to Chris Beckstrom! cool Super cool guy doing a lot of cool things. http://opposablepodcast.com/64
Ears
Got to see him at Nyege Nyege fest in Jinja Uganda last month. Very cool. Pretty sure his set was recorded by Boiler Room if you’re into seeing a replay. I took great vids but my phone got stolen later on so it’s all lost...
Ears
Found it - here’s his set from September [video] http://www.facebook.com/boilerroom.tv/videos/2072971386140415 [/video]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1