MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My 23u 2.5u oak cabinet build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author My 23u 2.5u oak cabinet build
Xero
So between 2 good days of work, it's finally done. It's made out of 1x12 oak boards, actual dimensions are like 3/4 x 11.25 or something like that. The rails in the center are the same material but narrower strips, the metal strips lined up nearly perfectly to it. The top/bottom rails are some sort of door molding/strip, which also worked out pretty good. It was pretty hard to find anything in that narrower 1/2 size needed for the single row rails, but i lucked out with that stuff.

First day spent cutting and mounting the metal rails to the wood strips (big thanks to Mark11Audio for hooking me up with those.) I had to cut a few down into "3u" strips so that I could interleave them and make my 23u rails. Cutting them and mounting them to the wood was extremely time consuming.

Second day was basically laying out the modules then cutting the sides and support pieces. I basically kept adding more and more support pieces as I went, hah.

I am pretty happy with the final result, but I think I'll wait til my friend is here on Thursday to carry it upstairs and start filling it up....its pretty heavy.

Here's the plan for what it will be:
https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/2419

I probably already have 80-90% of the modules in here, so this will be mostly filled by the time I am done. I do have some extra rails leftover, so I can make a few 10u "utility" cabinets to match it at a later date. We'll see.








trentpmcd
Looks great. Solid oak, I'm sure it is heavy.... 23 seems like an odd number (prime too, but that's another story) - any reason for the size? The right physical size to fit your space? And I'm assuming the bottom row is half height utility modules (thus 2.5) - I didn't catch that at first (I don't have any half height modules) until I looked closer at the photos.
Faustgeist
Well done!

How is your power distro?
~R
JohnLRice
SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo applause Great job, beautiful work! That's a fun selection of modules you are going to put in it too. I'm curious about what your power supply and distribution system is going to be as well.
Rex Coil 7
Beautious and mostly bitchin !!!!

Me and wood .... ha! ... I'm that guy that cut it off twice and it's still too short.

Ramble on! thumbs up

EDIT: Extensive use of Kreg Tool stuffs. I was given one of the more comprehensive starter kits for my birthday by my wife and brother last year. Have yet to use it.


hmmm.....
Xero
trentpmcd wrote:
Looks great. Solid oak, I'm sure it is heavy.... 23 seems like an odd number (prime too, but that's another story) - any reason for the size? The right physical size to fit your space? And I'm assuming the bottom row is half height utility modules (thus 2.5) - I didn't catch that at first (I don't have any half height modules) until I looked closer at the photos.


yup, it's "what fits". it's fits under my one synth rack.

i bought almost a whole row of CP modules from moon, i'm still waiting on the lag expander for my 569. I'm anxious to get this completed, because I want to test and ensure all these new modules are working and I haven't had a place to put em!
Xero
regarding power distro....I'm honestly not 100% sure!

My existing portable 22 cabinet, I think has a QPS1 in it...I'm sorta hoping that has enough power to drive it all.... If it doesn't, I actually have a small power supply from that PowerOne company, kinda like a slightly smaller QPS1, I was thinking I could possibly use that as well.

If you guys noticed, I have what looks like a CP8a power module from moog in there on modular grid. I'm obviously not putting a real CP8a in there (I wonder if i could even find one?), what I think i'm going to do is have a custom 3u CP panel made that'll be a Cirklon breakout box as well as a power switch/light. I also have a spare moog style power light from repairing my model d, so I want to make it a moog rocker switch and moog style power light, with the 24 cirklon CV/IO jacks next to it. I'll probably reach out to Ben if he's still doing that stuff....I used him in the past for this stuff and I think I heard he's done CP stuff before.

I'd almost like to buy some kinda power distribution strips. I actually have some of the connectors to make one myself. I also have seen grove and analog craftsman sell some....maybe stg too? I don't know what's actually available in a reasonable time frame though? i'm actually open to suggestions.

I really don't like the dotcom "spider of wires" that much, so I'm curious what the latest and greatest is. As you can tell i'm definitely not a strict subscriber to "dotcom" philosophy. I'd like to think i'm throwing caution to the wind and going against nearly everything he says here: https://www.synthesizers.com/half.html
Xero
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
EDIT: Extensive use of Kreg Tool stuffs. I was given one of the more comprehensive starter kits for my birthday by my wife and brother last year. Have yet to use it.


hmmm.....


i love me some pocket screws!
kcd06
I am honestly curious about the whatever in the background with water filters and transfer tank(s)...
Xero
kcd06 wrote:
I am honestly curious about the whatever in the background with water filters and transfer tank(s)...



your wish has been granted! its all for my saltwater fish tanks
http://www.jobern.com/2018/11/rodi-automation-redundancy-leak-detectio n-and-flow-monitoring/
JohnLRice
Xero wrote:
regarding power distro....I'm honestly not 100% sure!

My existing portable 22 cabinet, I think has a QPS1 in it...I'm sorta hoping that has enough power to drive it all.... If it doesn't, I actually have a small power supply from that PowerOne company, kinda like a slightly smaller QPS1, I was thinking I could possibly use that as well.
cool When it comes to power you shouldn't "hope" it will work! hihi Find out exactly what you have in terms of power output capacity and as close as you can calculate in power draw requirements. While I've often employed a large amount of assumptions and hope in my builds, things tend to go smoother when I know for sure what I'm doing! oops

Your ModularGrid system is showing:
1268 mA +15V | 832 mA -15V | 237 mA 5V
and the QPS-1 can supply:
+15V@1500ma, -15V@1500ma, +5V@6000ma
but there are 5 modules without power specs so you are possibly going to meet or even exceed the capacity of the QPS-1 +15v rail? It might work fine, or some modules might not behave as well as they should, or the power supply might "lock up" and not actually power anything if the in-rush current when first powered on is enough to trip the protection circuit in the supply.

You could use your additional PSU with a seperate distro board(s), just make sure to connect the 0v rails of both supplies together. Or just get a larger supply?

Xero wrote:
I have what looks like a CP8a power module from moog in there on modular grid. I'm obviously not putting a real CP8a in there (I wonder if i could even find one?), what I think i'm going to do is have a custom 3u CP panel made that'll be a Cirklon breakout box as well as a power switch/light. I also have a spare moog style power light from repairing my model d, so I want to make it a moog rocker switch and moog style power light, with the 24 cirklon CV/IO jacks next to it. I'll probably reach out to Ben if he's still doing that stuff....I used him in the past for this stuff and I think I heard he's done CP stuff before.
While having a power switch on front can be super convienient and look cool, it's probably not necessary and you could just have the switch on the back if reaching around to the rear left or right of the cabinet isn't a problem? The advantages are that you can keep AC lines very short and close to the AC inlet and PSU transformer and also a power light isn't really needed since so many of the modules have lights on them so, there will be no doubt if the system is on or off. cool

Xero wrote:
I'd almost like to buy some kinda power distribution strips. I actually have some of the connectors to make one myself. I also have seen grove and analog craftsman sell some....maybe stg too? I don't know what's actually available in a reasonable time frame though? i'm actually open to suggestions.
What country are you in? Tony at Analog Craftsman ships fast and you would probably get them within a week if you are in the USA.

Xero wrote:
I really don't like the dotcom "spider of wires" that much, so I'm curious what the latest and greatest is. As you can tell i'm definitely not a strict subscriber to "dotcom" philosophy. I'd like to think i'm throwing caution to the wind and going against nearly everything he says here: https://www.synthesizers.com/half.html
Take a look at Graham Hinton's offerings, I can't think of any system that is more well thought out, implemented, and highly praised? (I haven't used his power products myself)
http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/paprod/psu/
Dave Peck
Trying to power modules that have 1268 ma of current draw with a 1500 ma power supply is cutting it too close, IMO.
Xero
JohnLRice wrote:
cool When it comes to power you shouldn't "hope" it will work! hihi Find out exactly what you have in terms of power output capacity and as close as you can calculate in power draw requirements. While I've often employed a large amount of assumptions and hope in my builds, things tend to go smoother when I know for sure what I'm doing! oops

Your ModularGrid system is showing:
1268 mA +15V | 832 mA -15V | 237 mA 5V
and the QPS-1 can supply:
+15V@1500ma, -15V@1500ma, +5V@6000ma
but there are 5 modules without power specs so you are possibly going to meet or even exceed the capacity of the QPS-1 +15v rail? It might work fine, or some modules might not behave as well as they should, or the power supply might "lock up" and not actually power anything if the in-rush current when first powered on is enough to trip the protection circuit in the supply.

You could use your additional PSU with a seperate distro board(s), just make sure to connect the 0v rails of both supplies together. Or just get a larger supply?



Dave Peck wrote:
Trying to power modules that have 1268 ma of current draw with a 1500 ma power supply is cutting it too close, IMO.


Heh, you guys are totally right. Especially if it's all worth as much as that modulargrid says it is, did I really spend that much? I shouldn't take any chances.

Hmmm I kinda figured I'd be right up against the limits of the QPS1. I suspect you are right, it might be cutting it close. I don't actually have all the modules yet, particularly, I don't have the COTK ratchet or dual trigger module, nor do I have the STG Envelope, or the 569 lag expander, though I presume the latter piggy-backs off the 569's power. Still, given there's 4-5 modules that have no power estimates, I suspect that the estimated number is probably fairly close.

JohnLRice wrote:

While having a power switch on front can be super convienient and look cool, it's probably not necessary and you could just have the switch on the back if reaching around to the rear left or right of the cabinet isn't a problem? The advantages are that you can keep AC lines very short and close to the AC inlet and PSU transformer and also a power light isn't really needed since so many of the modules have lights on them so, there will be no doubt if the system is on or off. cool


Very true, in fact the M544CP utility module I got even has +15/-5/-15 LED's, similar to the dotcom power module, so I was already planning to skip the dotcom stuff for that reason alone, it's redundant having another set of LED's for that on their power module.

Although if I'm getting a custom panel made anyway, I may still consider it, if it fits. I've even considered mounting a few rails on the back for power modules kinda like the dotcom cabinets. GIven we're talking about a single half-row space, there may not be too much more I could put there anyway, other than maybe a multiple+attenuators, which i think is what I'd put in the 3rd space on modular grid.

JohnLRice wrote:

What country are you in? Tony at Analog Craftsman ships fast and you would probably get them within a week if you are in the USA.


I'm in colorado, so that's definitely a good option for me. I've been tempted to reach out to him regarding the custom panel as well, I've never used him for that before, but I think he can also do that kind of work if I recall....

JohnLRice wrote:

Take a look at Graham Hinton's offerings, I can't think of any system the is more well thought out, implemented, and highly praised? (I haven't used his power products myself)
http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/paprod/psu/


I'll have to take a look for sure. I'm guessing from that URL he's not local.
burdij
I have a couple of Power One 150 Watt supplies I have had listed a couple of times in the For Sale section. One is used and the other is new but had some cosmetic damage which is repaired. These supply +- 15V @ 3A and +5 V at 12A. If you would be interested in one of those, PM me.

I also have some nice used switching power supplies if you are interested in going that way. I am converting my systems to these supplies just for the weight reduction. My cabinets are also made of oak so every little bit helps.

Here are some pictures:





I also have power distribution boards listed in my web store with free shipping until the end of June. These have 24 DOTCOM connectors so you might need 2-3 of them for the number of modules you have. Each board comes with 4 30 inch cables included.

Power Distribution Board
Xero
burdij wrote:
I have a couple of Power One 150 Watt supplies I have had listed a couple of times in the For Sale section. One is used and the other is new but had some cosmetic damage which is repaired. These supply +- 15V @ 3A and +5 V at 12A. If you would be interested in one of those, PM me.

I also have some nice used switching power supplies if you are interested in going that way. I am converting my systems to these supplies just for the weight reduction. My cabinets are also made of oak so every little bit helps.

Here are some pictures:


I also have power distribution boards listed in my web store with free shipping until the end of June. These have 24 DOTCOM connectors so you might need 2-3 of them for the number of modules you have. Each board comes with 4 30 inch cables included.

Power Distribution Board


Ahh too funny, I was just emailing you about your power boards a minute ago! I sent you another email just now regarding these power supplies and your distribution boards. We should definitely figure something out!
hamildad
Speaking from experience, make sure you have well enough power to run the case.

having to buy a bigger PSU and then wire it in when you have a case full of modules isn't fun... also some modules work but then behave erratically with insufficient power, which makes fault finding a pain.
Rex Coil 7
... toroidal transformers ....
Xero
My friend helped me carry it upstairs last night and I started filling it with all my new modules

Rex Coil 7
.... planing on staining or otherwise finishing the cabinet?
Xero
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
.... planing on staining or otherwise finishing the cabinet?


i sort of wanted to, but i'm probably gonna pass for now, i'd probably have to do it outside because my wife hates the smell of that kind of crap, more hassle than i want to deal with lol....i figure if i smack it up badly enough i can always stain it later

just had a fun realization that the reverb tank in my dotcom portable was upside down this whole time....apparently from the factory? though i bought this used so maybe the previous owner did it. I looked up these reverb tanks and they all have a model number that indicates the orientation....and mine is supposed to be "open side down"...it was mounted up.
Xero
Test fit. It fits. Yeah I know. It's on the floor and it's not ergonomic lol. But it fits. That's what counts. Hahaha. I just sit on the floor


ranix
I feel your pain, mine's on the floor too
Dave Peck
Wow, you guys must be a lot younger and more limber than I am. I don't even like having to reach over to tweak outboard rack gear at knee height in the rack. Even when I'm sitting in a chair at the console! If my modular was on the floor that would really impact how much use I got out of it.

Consider putting it a couple of feet higher up, on one of the keyboard stand tiers along with one of the slimmer keyboard synths in front of it on the same tier (Juno 60?).
Xero
Dave Peck wrote:
Wow, you guys must be a lot younger and more limber than I am. I don't even like having to reach over to tweak outboard rack gear at knee height in the rack. Even when I'm sitting in a chair at the console! If my modular was on the floor that would really impact how much use I got out of it.

Consider putting it a couple of feet higher up, on one of the keyboard stand tiers along with one of the slimmer keyboard synths in front of it on the same tier (Juno 60?).


LOL. I'm still young-ish. Almost mid-30s. I will say, my back would be pretty messed up if i was sitting on a hard floor, haha.

I have actually considered that. Putting it higher up on the rack, basically. There's supposed to be a jupiter 8 on that bottom tier, I just haven't put it up there yet since i'm still shuffling things around and i'm afraid to even look at it funny now-a-days.

I might end up building some kind of custom stand. I almost do like the idea of having a synth in front of it on a big bottom tier. I didn't really think of that, but I think we're basically talking custom stand at that point anyway. I suspect that might be what happens next.

For now, it fits. Haha, i'll probably just regret building it "just to fit" at that point, but i kind of like my prime number just to mess with things. It'll always be "1 bigger than 22u" when anyone asks me. HAHA.
Dave Peck
For mounting it on a stand tier along with a keyboard synth, I would suggest maybe a simple 'keyboard garage', like those offered by Dotcom, so it sits above and behind whatever keyboard synth you place in front of it. This allows room for connecting all the cables to the keyboard synth and helps keep the modular's patch cords out of the way. It helps a lot.

https://www.synthesizers.com/studiocabinets.html

You can also see one in my avatar, with a Norg Modular G2 and Encore Expressionist midi/CV converter neatly tucked under it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group