Doctor A, stereo delay/reverb... And some bitching!

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

ba1
Veteran Wiggler

Doctor A, stereo delay/reverb... And some bitching!

Post by ba1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:57 am

Not 5U, but might make up for the lack of available stereo effect options. A company called Audiothingies just released Doctor A, a stereo delay/reverb box that looks like a decent end of chain option.

It has two assignable cv jacks that can be routed to the delay time, delay level, reverb predelay, and reverb level. (why the F didn't they included cv over delay feedback and reverb decay?)

The audio jacks are 1/4", but the cv jacks are 3.5mm. :despair:

You can save up to four effect settings.

There are 4 different delay modes and 8 different reverb modes.

It's about $355 usd.

I'm thinking of getting one, but what I really want is a dual analog delay in 5U with features that match the Moog MF104z and a separate stereo spring reverb module! WHY DON'T THESE EXIST?!?!?!

Sorry, I haven't eaten breakfast yet...

https://www.audiothingies.com/product/doctor-a/

https://www.audiothingies.com/dl/doctor ... rt_Web.pdf

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:32 pm

I dont want effects in my synth/modular.. so much better stuff for way less money as outboard or in a DAW.. and it takes up good space in a modular.!

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:47 am

I'd normally say that, as all my FX are outboard but Delay is some special sauce to have actually in your modular.

having a racked Demora below my case, gives me separate FX but also CV mod goodness.

:bananaguitar:
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Doctor A, stereo delay/reverb... And some bitching!

Post by Blairio » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:53 pm

I have deleted my own post here and put it instead the 'General' directory. Apologies to moderators if this isn't the right way to remove a duplicate post.

fac
wig MUffler

Re: Doctor A, stereo delay/reverb... And some bitching!

Post by fac » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:22 pm

I've managed to squeeze three cheap rack effect boxes between cabinets: Lexicon MPX-100, Zoom RFX-1000 and Alesis Midiverb II. The RFX-1000 and MPX-100 are connected to the aux buses of a Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer, and the MPX-100 is used as main reverb. The Midiverb is patched via the patchbay above it (which also is used to route stuff from the modular to the mixer). The Zoom and Alesis are most of the time set to delay or reverb as well. I like these units because you can quickly select and adjust an effect, with no menus or deep editing required.

I also have a dotcom spring reverb, and the SSL digital delay as part of the modular. Plus a Moog MF-103 phaser lying around. With these and the rack units I have more than enough effects for my fully-modular compositions. I thought about adding an MU effect module with CV, like the SSL FX Capacitor, but I rather have multiple cheaper units with better quality than CV control of effect parameters.

I also added some external effects to my (much smaller) eurorack rig: a Line6 DL4 and a TC Nova Reverb, in series. These are great for the more ambient/spacey stuff I do with the eurorack:

Return to “5U Format Modules”