MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Baby Sitar Guitar
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Baby Sitar Guitar
MindMachine
Has anyone played one? Im looking to trade in a pea green sunburst Harmony Rebel towards one. I like the sound of this far better than my EH Ravish pedal with guitar (although the Ravish is so versatile and I am a child like strum/picker).
woVERTICES
Get an electronic tampura drone device coupled with an electronic tabla and reach Indian sonic nirvana!...I've had real sitars and tampuras...a drag to tune!
Learn some eastern scales on guitar and have a great time!...OR...get a Jerry Jones / Danelectro Electric Sitar...sounds and plays great!

By the way, I saw Spirit play live at the Filmore East in NYC in the early 70's...FANTASTIC!!
Best,
John
Kingnimrod
I had the Rogue sitar guitar and it was alright but needed to be run through an EQ pedal to get it sounding good.

You can buy the Gotoh sitar bridge on ebay if you want to retrofit a guitar with it - holes are positioned for Danelectro guitars
MindMachine
woVERTICES wrote:
By the way, I saw Spirit play live at the Filmore East in NYC in the early 70's...FANTASTIC!!
Best,
John

Excellent. I saw their 1984 reunion concert here at the Palace in Hollywood. They ran out of tunes and Got a Line as the encore even though they had played it. That was the whole original lineup. I saw them many other times in the 80's before Randy moved to Hawaii, but only with Ed and Randy.

I have a plan to get the Baby over Labor Day weekend. Gonna trade a Harmony Rebel.

What I want to jam under it is a Paloma Bulbul Tarang.
GuyaGuy
If i were to get an electric sitar I’d get the G Rosul. The Dano and Rogue are basically guitars with a buzzy bridge whereas the G Rosul is designed and plays like a compact sitar, allowing all of the dramatic pitch bends that are common in Indian music and not possible on a guitar.
MindMachine
Where do you get strings for the G? It likely has a much larger learning curve than the Dano too, correct?

I'm looking at more Spinal Tap and less Brian Jones.
GuyaGuy
MindMachine wrote:
Where do you get strings for the G? It likely has a much larger learning curve than the Dano too, correct?

I'm looking at more Spinal Tap and less Brian Jones.

Specialty shops like Rain Music or even Just Strings or Amazon.

Yes there’s a learning curve—similar to picking up a banjo in that you can figure things out quickly since they’re fretted instruments like a guitar but require some learning to get beyond basic plucking. The Dano has an advantage there if you just want to be able to pick it up and play it like a guitar. But it also has the advantage that you can play songs with different tonic notes, which would usually require retuning or restringing on a proper sitar.
IstvanM
I've been studying sitar traditionally for 12 years now. The problem with G Rosul and the like on ebay, etc. are that if the frets and pegs aren't fitted properly, you'll never get them in tune (frets on a sitar are tied on and require to be moved to tune). If you decide to go the route of a travel sitar, I'd suggest spending a little more money from a shop or maker who has a good track record in good fitting. Have fun! Rain city music is really a great place to start, Lars is a top notch human being.
p.j.
I had a Jerry Jones Baby Sitar. It was fun but I did not use it enough to justify not flipping it.
MindMachine
p.j. wrote:
I had a Jerry Jones Baby Sitar. It was fun but I did not use it enough to justify not flipping it.

For about a third the price the Dano might be fun for a while though. I'm a hack so budget is key.

Those green JJ units look crazy. godzilla!
Severed head
I dont get it they dont have any drone strings?

and from what I priced they are 500?
you can get a used sitar for that, so why not go for the real deal..
Funch
I have the Rogue sitar guitar. The Roland VG99 does a really good model of an electric sitar also. The 99 also has much more good stuff including a decent poly saw wave that I run through modular gear. The GR300 model covers 97.78 percent of the orginal tone and you can run two parallel channels simultaneously.
MindMachine
Severed head wrote:
I dont get it they dont have any drone strings?

and from what I priced they are 500?
you can get a used sitar for that, so why not go for the real deal..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1