MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

HOW TO CONVERT YOUR TURNTABLE IN TO A SEQUENCER FOR MODULAR
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author HOW TO CONVERT YOUR TURNTABLE IN TO A SEQUENCER FOR MODULAR
WAVNE
Howdy,

I made a simple arduino based device for converting any standard turntable in to a gate sequencer for a modular system.

You can find all the code / diagrams / etc on my website:
https://www.lomondcampbell.com/projects-1

Pretty straight forward to make and it can yield some interesting results, particularly if you combine vinyl sampling.

Enjoy...
revtor
Awesome!! Innovative way to sync the turntable!

Thanks for the share
pulplogic
Fantastic! This is the stuff that makes modular fun. I love it. SlayerBadger!
WAVNE
Me too! I love seeing stuff that spills out of the modular case and in to the physical world. It's so easy to do too. Thanks for the support!
kindredlost
Cool. Following in the tradition of Raymond Scott and other notable designers.
Nice build.
Rex Coil 7
... well that's really interesting. Good job! thumbs up
EPTC
Brilliant job on this. If you worked with a direct drive table you could do even more creative stuff (i.e. very aggressively slowing down or scratching out a rhythm, back and forth on one gate) - the demo was with a belt drive, correct?

I know you offer all downloadable plans but have you thought about making a hardware version available. I'd buy one.
WAVNE
I used a belt drive and an old Lenco which is driven by and idler wheel, but aye, that's exactly what I was thinking. And if you set up two turntables (and a microphone) things could get really interesting. Yeah, I could maybe develop it and make a commercial version. If I do I'll be sure to let you know.
Dcramer
Brilliant! And I love how your narration makes it sound like it was bog simple to build hihi I could never do that! woah
nepsis
This is super cool, thanks for sharing!
WAVNE
Dcramer
Ah you totally could do it. It's always much easier than it first appears.
Go for it!
Modulus
Sick, thanks for sharing your project. Could also be cool to have a serato cv controller. Wonder if any one has tried something like that.
Surkit
That is super cool!
akaye
Ah this is cool!
Neo
Wait.. no sync input? Not even din-sync? How's it gonna sync to my machinedrum?
artilect99
very cool! reminds me of the Seeburg Rhythm Prince with it's circuit board disc for sequencing. I always wanted to track one down and modify the contact points to make my own sequences on it.

Thomas Brinkmann used a turntable with two tonearms to remix Hawtin's Concept 1 series and it worked really well, surprisingly.

Would it be possible to do it without the Arduino? Maybe just contact switches connecting a +5v line to the gate out? But then I guess the gate length would depend on the speed of the turntable...
Maarz
I’m gonna try to do this project in a couple of week and I’m a first time DIY’er.

I just have a couple of questions:

I found the arduinocode on your website, should I copy everything and just paste it to the arduino. I don’t need to change or delete anything to make it work?

I also have a bit of trouble understanding the diagram and illustration, I think I get the diagram but the illustration is a bit harder..Lots of the lines intercept with one another, is it possibly by any chance that you could make a clearer one?

Hope I don’t sound rude, I think this is a great project! It’s really cool you put I up for everyone to build.
EATyourGUITAR
There is a max/msp add-on called Mrs pinky that lets you reuse your serato timecode vinyl simultaneously while scratching any song you like in serato. I have seen in used to send midi or control video synths. It would be pretty easy to do all of this in software. You can use your midi or your expert sleepers interface that you already have.
Homepage Englisch
Cool idea, but how do you sync magnets on the plate with vinyl recording itself? It could be in various tempos depending on the recording, right?
BlinkyLights
Fascinating and cool. Thanks for sharing it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1