MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RADIATOR live performance laser synth now on Kickstarter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author RADIATOR live performance laser synth now on Kickstarter
patmcm
As part of the synth / live visual community in Montreal I got to see an earlier version of this in action and it was absolutely jaw-dropping, it feels like a game-changer for reactive visuals.

[edit:] Here's the link to the campaign and here are some pictures Andrew sent out.
versipellis
I'm guessing this is probably much cheaper than building a Eurorack that does the same thing, heh. How much do small portable laser projectors go for these days? The Laser Cube is $500 or so, no?
dubonaire
versipellis wrote:
I'm guessing this is probably much cheaper than building a Eurorack that does the same thing, heh. How much do small portable laser projectors go for these days? The Laser Cube is $500 or so, no?

Here is your answer. https://x-laser.com/products

I like the way Andrew Kilpatrick is always exploring new ideas.
Zymos
Backed! Been flirting with the idea of getting into video synthesis for a while, but something about this really got my attention. Cause lasers!
Also just seems really capable and I like that it is self contained.

If it gets funded, guess my next step is shopping for a $500ish laser....
Slabwax
This is a bone head laser question. Will the basic $500 laser from X-Laser do much with the Radiator? It looks like the Radiator would be a fantastic new money pit but will all I get from X-Laser white series be green basic 70's Floyd effects? Thanks
Zymos
Looks like that one only has DMX input, so Radiator couldn't control it.
m0n0mania
Cheaper lasers usually means slower galvos and poor colour mixing.
If anyone's considering getting into this, there's a software laser synth you can try called Maxwell for $30.
https://bluefang.itch.io/maxwell
x-laser
Hey there folks, Adam at X-Laser here. I knew it was going to be a fun day when I started seeing people coming to x-laser.com from here in my weekly analytics check!

If you want a low cost laser projector to work well with the Radiator and you're in the US, your best bet is to get the bundles they have. We're building these projectors custom for the Radiator bundles and they'll be completely US legal, built and serviced here and carry a full 1 year warranty. The pricing with the bundles is pretty good and we handle all the US legal compliance side of things for you.

If you're outside of the US, the radiator will work well with any laser compatible with the ILDA standard that can do 30K scanning. Generally speaking for just quality and longevity, you're best sticking with projectors at or above $700US.

Slabwax wrote:
This is a bone head laser question. Will the basic $500 laser from X-Laser do much with the Radiator? It looks like the Radiator would be a fantastic new money pit but will all I get from X-Laser white series be green basic 70's Floyd effects? Thanks

Not a bone head question at all. The $500 system is not compatible with Radiator, it's a "flash and trash" laser built for nightclub ceilings and DJs that want the look of laser, safely, without spending time on programming. The entry level system for this would be the Mobile Beat Mirage, but you'll get a better price buying the bundle through the Kickstarter.

I hope this helps! Thanks folks
Afturmath
I've been following this project since Chris Short teased some of the prototype photos, and I can't wait to try it out at SELEM! I've been on the fence about upgrading my old Sapphire RGB to a Mobile Beat Mirage or Skywriter HPX 2W, and I think this was the final push I needed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1