MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Minitaur Question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Moog Minitaur Question
ba1
I picked up a used Minitaur thinking it would be great to add an extra voice to my 5U for just $300.

I'm not very experienced or usually interested in using synths with presets or even midi. The Minitaur sounds decent enough and I figured it would be good for playing live.

However, I can't for the life of me figure out why the Osc mixer section has no effect on any of the preset sounds. Osc 1 &2 both seem to be full volume at all times regardless of the settings on the physical pots. I've been all though the manual and the editor and I can't figure it out. All the other controls seem to work as expected. Does anybody know what I need to do? Or is this particular unit defective?

Thanks!
bandwidth
I haven't experienced this problem, this thread at the Moog forum might help.

https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18306&p=113315&hilit= mixer+Minitaur#p113315

Updating the firmware in the Minitaur would be a good idea.

Good luck! thumbs up
ba1
bandwidth wrote:
I haven't experienced this problem, this thread at the Moog forum might help.

https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18306&p=113315&hilit= mixer+Minitaur#p113315

Updating the firmware in the Minitaur would be a good idea.

Good luck! thumbs up

Thanks!

Still no luck. It may be related to my un-updateable OS. I'm going to try to redo the firmware on my gf's computer tonight. I'll report back.
bandwidth
The thread over on the Moog forum is from early 2013. I don’t recall having the problem of no control over individual oscillator volume, but in that thread several people chime in as having it and other issues. It appears that Moog support was working with the guy during that period. I got my Minitaur at the end of 2013 andI have updated the firmware several times in the years that I have had it. It’s been a pretty well-behaved little beast. I mainly use it connected via midi keyboard, but I have driven it from a dotcom Q119 sequencer.
ba1
I just gave up and and sent it back. It was an early model that was basically unused. I don't know if it was faulty or if I'm just an idiot, but regardless, I don't think firmware and presets are for me. Back to the drawing board in my effort to procure a poratble synth voice with 1/4" jacks...

Thanks again!
bandwidth
Well, I’d guess that you had a unit somebody bricked via an unsuccessful upgrade attempt. I know I always hold my breath when I upgrade mine. I spent thirty years working in various tech industries and I got bit plenty of times performing an upgrade that was supposed to be “easy peasy.”

Actually, I want to thank you for a module that I built a couple of years ago that was inspired by a thread you started. It was about building an OR-combiner for use with the SSL V-Gates module. I thought it sounded like a great idea, so I visited the Doepfer website, read up about it and built one. It’s one of those simple-but-highly-useful utility type modules. So anyway, thanks! applause
Dave Peck
ba1 wrote:
. Back to the drawing board in my effort to procure a portable synth voice with 1/4" jacks...

Viola!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209648
hamildad
ba1 wrote:
I don't think firmware and presets are for me. Back to the drawing board in my effort to procure a poratble synth voice with 1/4" jacks...

FWIW, I have never used a preset on my minitaur, and I updated the firmware no problems and left it well alone...

maybe try a Sirin? otherwise you could always get a smaller Moon case and pop in a few used dotcom modules?
ba1
Dave Peck wrote:
ba1 wrote:
. Back to the drawing board in my effort to procure a portable synth voice with 1/4" jacks...

Viola!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209648

Yeah I just asked Paul/Krisp1 if he could build me one. Waiting to hear back. Looks like the perfect solution. Maybe pair it with an Oakley dual LFO and dual VCA.

Thanks!
ba1
hamildad wrote:
ba1 wrote:
I don't think firmware and presets are for me. Back to the drawing board in my effort to procure a poratble synth voice with 1/4" jacks...

FWIW, I have never used a preset on my minitaur, and I updated the firmware no problems and left it well alone...

maybe try a Sirin? otherwise you could always get a smaller Moon case and pop in a few used dotcom modules?

I guess it also drove me a little nuts to not have a dedicated frequency pot for the VCOs.
Synthbuilder
ba1 wrote:
Yeah I just asked Paul/Krisp1 if he could build me one. Waiting to hear back. Looks like the perfect solution.

We're waiting on MU panels at the moment. As soon as they arrive Paul should have ready made ASV modules available.

Tony
ba1
Yeah I just heard back from Paul. I'm on the list for one ASV. Rockin' Banana!
Rex Coil 7
ba1 wrote:
Still no luck. It may be related to my un-updateable OS. I'm going to try to redo the firmware on my gf's computer tonight. I'll report back.
So using your grandfather's computer didn't help?

hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1