MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Downsizing questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Downsizing questions
steffengrondahl
Hi wigglers,

I've decided to downsize my MU modular. Currently a have a dotcom QSC44 slanted cabinet with a QPS-3 power supply and 4 QSC22 cabinets, one of them with a QPS-1 power supply. And it is too much cry (I cannot reach the upper cabinet and I don'r really need it hmmm..... )

The cabinet I'm going to sell is fully filled with modules (2xVCO, VCF, 2x ADSR, VCA etc + sequencer). So a really great starter system thumbs up

But ... should I sell as a complete system or split it up (I'm sure this questions has been asked before, so if you're more clever than me please point to the thread we're not worthy ).

And should a swap the modules with a modules in the QPS-1 powered cabinet, so the cabinet I'm selling is powered? When I'm back at 3 QSC22 cabinets + the big QSC44 cabinet with QPS-3 power, I've got plenty of power (only using 65% on the +15V rail, less on the other rails). Purchasing a powered cabinet might be more attractive than an unpowered or ... ? seriously, i just don't get it And will I benefit from have all modules powered by the same power supply (and thus something something with common ground - don't believe this is a big deal, but hmmm..... )

PS to moderators: I do not hope I break any rules posting this. So far it's not on sale and I'm not sure I will put it on sale here on MW, as I will try to sell with local pickup in Denmark, thus using other channels. Actually the most important question is the last - will I benefit from using only one power supply over two, when I have plenty of power (which I believe 65% is)?
kindredlost
steffengrondahl wrote:
Hi wigglers,

I've decided to downsize my MU modular.

t3h 8@nz3r@t3d
DJFonzi
I have downsizing questions, too.
Most notably.. What is this "downsizing" you speak of?
steffengrondahl
kindredlost wrote:
steffengrondahl wrote:
Hi wigglers,

t3h 8@nz3r@t3d

lolspew

DJFonzi wrote:

Ehhh ... I mean downgrading, reduce, make smaller etc zombie
JohnLRice
DJFonzi wrote:

hihi

But seriously, in general selling a system tends to take a lot longer than parting it out, unless you discount the price much more to make it attractive. I would definitely make it a powered system also if you are going to sell it as a system.

And if you part it out, the modules may sell faster at higher prices but you might end up being stuck with the empty cabinet and power supply for a long time . . . although, maybe DotCom cases/cabinets that are heavily discounted sell faster in Europe than they do in the USA? hmmm.....
josaka
looking at what is selling in the facebook group.. people will pay top dollar for certain modules over others which even when cheap just sit around...
.com modules need to be really cheap.. some of the ++ modules go quickly at a good price.. stuff like kobol oscillators are always in demand.. unlike my 2x moon 517s Im selling even at a 1/3 off is still not moving..

still worth posting there.. smile
Thalassa
As John has said if you sell a system I would sell it powered. I would try sell it first as a system instead individual modules. If someone is looking to enter in the MU format in Europe it would be a great opportunity to buy a full featured modular without the problems of buying / making cabinet , power etc.
If after some time you don't find any buyer try to sell the modules individually but keep in mind that basic dotcom have low resale value and you could be stacked with the basic ones and the cabinet.
Also now during the summer is not the best moment to sell anything (talking by experience waah) so be patient.
steffengrondahl
Thanks John and josaka.

Re: John: I got divorced many years ago. Since then I spend all my money on synths, filling half of my living room (wut only half - no reason to reduce, throw away that computer and those books - they are of no use for making farts and noise) lol

What about power? Is there any advantages of powering from two supplies rather than one if you have plenty of power? And any disadvantages?
josaka
steffengrondahl wrote:
Thanks John and josaka.

Re: John: I got divorced many years ago. Since then I spend all my money on synths, filling half of my living room (wut only half - no reason to reduce, throw away that computer and those books - they are of no use for making farts and noise) lol

What about power? Is there any advantages of powering from two supplies rather than one if you have plenty of power? And any disadvantages?

the advantage of 2 power supplies is two separate systems.. and good for expansion..
paterursus
steffengrondahl wrote:
Hi wigglers,

You could just get a stool to reach the upper cabinet.

I would agree with others in saying, try to sell it first as a system. You basically have a complete voice + sequencer, so that's attractive right there. Then I'd think about the market. People who already have MU systems are going to have pretty specific needs (=wants). Your system would be bought by someone just getting into the MU world, so I would include power to make it more attractive. I'd sell the QPS1, as it makes more sense for a small system.

BTW my first post in 5U even though I've lurked for a long time and have a 5U system.
folpon
Another option is to sell the powered case plus synth voice locally, and sell the sequencer separately. 5U sequencers don't seem to come up for sale used very often, so it seems they may move a little faster. Just a thought.
ericD13
I wish, too, to downsize : too much modules.

I will get a modular grid of the modules I could sell.
Xero
I was in a similar predicament with the power supply. I'm still using my QPS-1, but, I literally have a new custom power supply on the way any day now. I plan to sell my 2 old cabinets as complete units, with the power supplies. I think I will get more out of them that way. I suspect selling the cabinets alone will dramatically reduce the value.

I actually bought my portable 22 used off here, as a partial system with a few modules in it. That was a pretty good deal, in hindsight. Now I need to sell it on, hah.
JohnLRice
ericD13 wrote:
I wish, too, to downsize : too much modules.

I will get a modular grid of the modules I could sell.
Hi, the link to your for sale post is incorrect, it should be this? cool
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219781
ericD13
Thank you John, I forgot to change the link.
It's done now.
steffengrondahl
Update/FYI: I just put the QSC22 cabinet for sale in the BST forum. I swapped modules in two of my cabinets, so the one I'm selling is the powered one.

Thanks for your replies we're not worthy

Thread over and out razz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1