Q155 Curver from Dotcom.

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Q155 Curver from Dotcom.

Post by Synth Con Meo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:11 pm

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:16 pm

looks pretty good.. lot of features..
be nice to see a video of them being used in sequence..
not sure I will get one..

[video][/video]

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Q155 Curver from Dotcom.

Post by Flareless » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:46 am

Synth Con Meo wrote:https://www.synthesizers.com/q155.html

Thoughts?
I ordered one! Looks kinda cool.
Rich

Lower West Side Studio

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

ba1
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ba1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:44 am

That's a lot of bang for 1hp! Doesn't look too cramped either.

Jari Jokinen
Sensible Wiggler

Post by Jari Jokinen » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:37 am

The inverter inverts only when control voltage is applied. Could be more convenient the other way round. Perhaps with a jumper.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:44 am

Jari Jokinen wrote:The inverter inverts only when control voltage is applied. Could be more convenient the other way round. Perhaps with a jumper.
I was wondering about that also. It would be super easy to run a line from the positive voltage (perhaps with resistor in it) to the switching lug on the jack, provided that's not already in use. Then it would always be an inverter, unless you plugged something in.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:21 am

Modulating the curve of a complex audio signal (like a filter output), especially with an audio rate CV source, can yield some really cool and bizarre distortion effects. Nice!

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:31 am

Jari Jokinen wrote:The inverter inverts only when control voltage is applied. Could be more convenient the other way round. Perhaps with a jumper.
Is that correct? Watch right around 6:00 when he moves the saw wave signal from the curver section to the inverter section. The 'up' saw becomes a 'down' saw as soon as it is patched into the inverter, before any CV is connected.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:24 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Is that correct? Watch right around 6:00 when he moves the saw wave signal from the curver section to the inverter section. The 'up' saw becomes a 'down' saw as soon as it is patched into the inverter, before any CV is connected.
from the datasheet 'LED indicates Inversion" ..

no sign of any jumpers.

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Wiggler Flareless built me a CGS Slope Detector awhile back. One of the coolest things I did with it was splitting the pitch CV of my keyboard through a slew limiter and sending the result to the Slope Detector. The output of the Slope Detector is a signal that tells whether the note I'm playing now is higher or lower in pitch than the previous note. I can use it to alter modulation such that if I'm playing an ascending melody a certain modulation is applied, but if I'm playing a descending melody a different modulation is applied. It's fun.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:23 pm

Hook a slow LFO to the curve CV in, insert an audio rate Sawtooth into the input and put the output to a wavetable Waveshaper VCO, like a Disting K3 algorithm, Mini-Wave or Piston Honda. You've got a wavetable that sounds like PWM!

Jari Jokinen
Sensible Wiggler

Post by Jari Jokinen » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:57 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
You are right. That seems a good feature to me. Apparently the led indicates inversion only when control voltage is used.

Jari Jokinen
Sensible Wiggler

Post by Jari Jokinen » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:01 pm

I could use the Curver as a tracking generator for keyboard voltages...

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:42 pm

Jari Jokinen wrote:I could use the Curver as a tracking generator for keyboard voltages...
I think it works in only one direction though. The CGS62 Slope Detector is more flexible in that respect.

I got mine for the Curver and of course, the extra VCA (I hear you can never have too many). The other two utility features are just gravy.
Rich

Lower West Side Studio

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

TimeRaveler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TimeRaveler » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:30 pm

What do you mean by "tracking generator"? Haven't heard of that.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:58 pm

I LOVE this. Why the F**K didn't I do this!???? Brilliant! (Damn it)
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

Voltage_Controller
Common Wiggler

Post by Voltage_Controller » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:11 pm

I am happy roger has accepted the "single function per module" philosophy is dated. He is keeping his line relevant by updating his perspective. Kudos to roger!
“The only truth is music.” ― Kerouac

Jari Jokinen
Sensible Wiggler

Post by Jari Jokinen » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:02 am

TimeRaveler wrote:What do you mean by "tracking generator"? Haven't heard of that.
Oberheim Matrix synths have so called Tracking generators: "The tracking generator provides a mapping from a control source (e.g. key range on the keyboard, or volume pedal, or mod wheel) to a modified output, based on the user-defined settings of the generator."

Nothing special in case of the Curver. Just a quick way to trim a control voltage. For example, if you would want unlinear keyboard control over filter frequency.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:40 pm

Bob Borries wrote:Hook a slow LFO to the curve CV in, insert an audio rate Sawtooth into the input and put the output to a wavetable Waveshaper VCO, like a Disting K3 algorithm, Mini-Wave or Piston Honda. You've got a wavetable that sounds like PWM!

Brilliant patch idea!

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:46 pm

An interesting module from Roger - some neat things in there!

I haven't actually looked closely at the "curver" part, but it looks pretty interesting, particularly for use on CVs, though the wavetable example above is also intriguing...

An extra VCA is, of course, always welcome!

Kinda wish that the functionality of the inverter & slope detector had been switched. In my Synthasystem I have a 'Selective Inverter' which is basically a CV processor/mixer + gate-able inversion. I rarely use it for the gate-able inversion. But having a slope detector with the rise/steady/fall outputs like the CGS would have been really awesome!

It also doesn't feel as compressed as some of his other recent offerings... just feels like a CV toolbox, which is a good thing.

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:16 pm

Well I broke down and also pre-ordered it. I needed to get a couple things from Dotcom for one of my cabinets anyway so I decided to piggyback buying this with the order.

TimeRaveler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TimeRaveler » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:32 pm

Hmmm...right on the fence about this one - anyone have any more innovative ideas for how to use the curver or slope detector especially? I WANT TO BELIEVE.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:10 pm

TimeRaveler wrote:Hmmm...right on the fence about this one - anyone have any more innovative ideas for how to use the curver or slope detector especially? I WANT TO BELIEVE.
Im with you.. why in the video did he not link any of the sections to show off the whole module.?. also.. while i'm here.. these pics of waves.. I dont really care.. I need to hear stuff.. not see it.. :)

Mirolab
Common Wiggler

Post by Mirolab » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:06 pm

josaka wrote: .. these pics of waves.. I dont really care.. I need to hear stuff.. not see it.. :)
I like seeing the wavforms!.... It helps me understand what is going on with the signal processing. Even if you don't find it helpful, why would you discourage providing us MORE information?
However, I do find the slow updating LCD scopes frustrating. I prefer seeing waves on my CRT scope in realtime. I'd like to find an inexpensive solid state scope that has a good realtime response.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:21 pm

Anybody have any more info/experience/etc with this Q155 Curver module? how are you liking it? Any audio clips?

Return to “5U Format Modules”