MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Late 60’s Moog Synthesizer Footage from Denton, Texas
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Late 60’s Moog Synthesizer Footage from Denton, Texas
pinhole_sunrise
I literally just stumbled upon this. I have no idea who any of these folks are but the footage is from an archive of WFAA TV (ABC) here in Dallas. Scroll to 4:40.

JohnLRice
Cool, thanks!
EPTC
thanks so much for finding this and for posting.

wonderful. dope room!!
pinhole_sunrise
Yeah it’s pretty awesome! I just wish I had info on who these guys were. I wonder if Paul Schreiber would have any idea or at least where this Moog System was located back then.
josaka
studio is no joke either with 4 x 1176 and some pultec...
burdij
There was a Donald Erb that held the position of professor of composition at Southern Methodist University from 1981-1984. He composed a number of pieces that involved electronically processed instrument sounds including the trumpet combined with electronic synthesizer sounds. I didn't find a reference to a Moog system sold to SMU but the serial number record is sketchy at best, sometimes referring to individuals and sometimes to the institution. SMU currently has an extensive electronic music studio using mainly in-the-box synthesis, it appears.
pinhole_sunrise
burdij wrote:
There was a Donald Erb that held the position of professor of composition at Southern Methodist University from 1981-1984. He composed a number of pieces that involved electronically processed instrument sounds including the trumpet combined with electronic synthesizer sounds. I didn't find a reference to a Moog system sold to SMU but the serial number record is sketchy at best, sometimes referring to individuals and sometimes to the institution. SMU currently has an extensive electronic music studio using mainly in-the-box synthesis, it appears.

Thanks. I’m going to reach out to someone I know who works at the university and see if I can get more info.
CZ Rider
Thanks for posting! Very interesting early system.
On the Moog archives site there is a photo of what looks to be the same system. Labeled as a 1965 modular.

Looks to be the same configuration with a 901ABB oscillator and 912 envelope follower in the 4U place of the 907 filter bank in the archives photo. May even be the same one?

The portable sequencer complement not as early and most likely added at a later time.

Has the same mystery switches in the middle 8U CP mixer panel. And the same 4U mystery module on the far right with many switches. Always wondered about the function of those.

Keep us posted. thumbs up
Always fun to see those old systems in action.
BKehew
That's Merrill Ellis. He's one of the first Moog customers (2 systems and later add-on's) as well as one of the first to take them out live. Pretty important guy from NTSU in Denton TX.
JohnLRice
BKehew wrote:
That's Merrill Ellis. He's one of the first Moog customers (2 systems and later add-on's) as well as one of the first to take them out live. Pretty important guy from NTSU in Denton TX.
Thanks Brian! thumbs up
pinhole_sunrise
BKehew wrote:

Ah thank you!! I did not recognize him without the beard!
pinhole_sunrise
Well I found this from the same source.
spinach_pizza
scroll to the bottom for more info about this guy and the center he established. Looks like a pretty amazing place!

https://cemi.music.unt.edu/
thispoison
pinhole_sunrise wrote:
I literally just stumbled upon this. I have no idea who any of these folks are but the footage is from an archive of WFAA TV (ABC) here in Dallas. Scroll to 4:40.

“I’ll see if I can make it operate today” loved it. Great vid, thanks.
kindredlost
spinach_pizza wrote:
scroll to the bottom for more info about this guy and the center he established. Looks like a pretty amazing place!

https://cemi.music.unt.edu/

the University of North Texas in the 70’s was pretty well known for it’s jazz programs. A couple of band mates of mine were students in the jazz guitar program out in Denton and used to tell stories about the electronic music program which was going on there. They were inspired enough to want to pursue the genre in our band. Something I was already taking up on my own despite the mainly prog rock leanings we had going on. It was a really great exploratory time for anyone wanting to try a new music avenue, especially a half dozen Texas boys. Of course jazz and Texas have always had a matchup since the days of Western swing bands, but electronic music was a natural step in our minds. Good memories.
BKehew
One of his systems was designed for playing out, so they called it the EIII - sort of a tribute to Ellis in the name, like a P3 cabinet. He's a charming character, my own University professor who taught me synthesis had studied under him.

Those 2 Moogs have been gone for a while, someone local bought them for next to nothing. They have cool features done before Moog standardized everything, so more handmade than most.

Not that many recorded pieces are known by Merrill, I think, but largely his impact was on the locals (and some touring) when he played live with it. The other impressive early guy is JD Robb from Univ New Mexico, who had one of the very first Moogs and played out with that and his ARP/EMS systems.
umma gumma
very interesting stuff!! thx for posting
wiredK
Very rare and interesting stuff!
Thanks a lot for sharing!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1