MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Le Seq X
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Le Seq X
batchas
A few months ago when I made the expander circuit I wanted to add to Le Seq rev 2.0, I was convinced having A or B gate outs would be the best option to add to the single gate outs, as I'd have some room free on the 1FW expander panel. I wanted for instance the ability to reset via switch Le Seq.
So I did choose this option instead of having only 1 main output and a switch per step allowing for instance gated or full output instead of A or B full.

Since then I had a break for a couple of weeks and also I played a few times with the new gate sequencer panel I did for the Serge system and today I’m not sure it was the best choice having 2 out (A or B full), instead of 1 x out (MAIN OUT) gated or full. Well... Can’t have it all I guess...

Still. I’m quite happy to get the sequencer functionality of Le Seq rev2.0 now expanded:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaB0IrUdvrw


EDIT:
Small number on front panel: the manufacture in China simply ignored my wish of not having any proto number printed on the surface.
a100user
Nice batchas, very nice.
batchas
If anyone with a Le Seq rev1.0 wants a gate Xpander made for rev2.0, just send me a PM. There's a possibility to replace the top board on rev1.0 with rev2.0.
Kafgee
SlayerBadger! yas black X please Rockin' Banana!
syncretism
I’d like to understand what’s happening in the video; are the gate outputs derived from the CV output and a comparator? Is there insufficient voltage drop between stages, so “AAA” looks like one long gate? Does this change of the three steps’ voltages are, say, 1, 0, 2?

Wondering if I should get the expander, or just stick with the Le Seq and let logic or comparators handle my gate events.
batchas
Sorry the video/explanations are not clear enough.
Here is an illustration which should describe properly.
The GATE outputs are not derived from the CV output/comp: the CLOCK signal from Le Seq (CLOCK on my illustration) is sent internally to Le Seq X.

What I show here is what would happen on A output for instance, if you switched steps 1,3,5,6,7 to A position. Easier I guess like this to understand the FULL gate output.
On Le Seq X the switch has 3 positions, cause you can switch either to A output or OFF or B output.

BugBrand
On the Gated part of the image, wouldn't the falling edge of the output correspond to the rising edge of the clock?
So the first two outputs would be exactly one clock period long - and the long output would stretch a further 1/2 clock period.
That's at least how my full vs. gated approach has been.
batchas
BugBrand wrote:
On the Gated part of the image, wouldn't the falling edge of the output correspond to the rising edge of the clock?
So the first two outputs would be exactly one clock period long - and the long output would stretch a further 1/2 clock period.
That's at least how my full vs. gated approach has been.

Yes you're right Tom.
I did redraw by hand and forgot to move points. Too quick as usual between two appointments. I updated my previous post so there's no confusion.

Thanx Tom thumbs up
syncretism
Thanks for the updated drawing, Batchas.
I’m guessing the best way to achieve the “red” results at the bottom would be to put the clock and gate A or B through a logical AND, right? That would yield discrete pulses that correspond to steps.
/\/\/\/
syncretism wrote:
I’m guessing the best way to achieve the “red” results at the bottom would be to put the clock and gate A or B through a logical AND, right? That would yield discrete pulses that correspond to steps.


I think the full gates are particularly useful to have for just what you are describing. I was thinking recently of doing this with an oscillator + LeSeqX gate for a nice blend of free-running and tempo. Need to pick up that Logic module first though...
batchas
syncretism wrote:
Thanks for the updated drawing, Batchas.
I’m guessing the best way to achieve the “red” results at the bottom would be to put the clock and gate A or B through a logical AND, right? That would yield discrete pulses that correspond to steps.

Indeed.
Or use the individual outs, connected together (no risk), but then you loose the possibility to switch different combinations on the fly.
chrisdermo
batchas wrote:
syncretism wrote:
Thanks for the updated drawing, Batchas.
I’m guessing the best way to achieve the “red” results at the bottom would be to put the clock and gate A or B through a logical AND, right? That would yield discrete pulses that correspond to steps.

Indeed.
Or use the individual outs, connected together (no risk), but then you loose the possibility to switch different combinations on the fly.


I’ll give both of these approaches a try!
batchas
chrisdermo wrote:
batchas wrote:
Or use the individual outs, connected together (no risk), but then you loose the possibility to switch different combinations on the fly.


I’ll give both of these approaches a try!

Taking the individual outs will make also some FULL gates. I can't try now, but I realised this morning that I said something stupid the last day when I mention the individual outputs.
I was trying different approaches when I was making the expander and now mixing up in my mind.
I'm very sorry about that :(

EDIT: I have to edit my post cause im making it always more confusing.
chrisdermo
batchas wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:
batchas wrote:
Or use the individual outs, connected together (no risk), but then you loose the possibility to switch different combinations on the fly.


I’ll give both of these approaches a try!

Taking the individual outs will make also some FULL gates. I can't try now, but I realised this morning that I said something stupid the last day when I mention the individual outputs.
I was trying different approaches when I was making the expander and now mixing up in my mind.
I'm very sorry about that :(

EDIT: I have to edit my post cause im making it always more confusing.


Not a problem, take it easy! :-)
batchas
With an AND logic a gate would shoot 2 times.

Ex.: if you have a FULL out at step one, then it will shoot also on step 2, because as we saw the FULL signal is longer and "laps" on the next step (still high when second clock signal is going high).

As mentionned a OR logic would be a workaround.

I'll post a video. Easier to show.
batchas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MV1Y8IHGxQ

Not living in town makes it sometimes difficult.
11 hours without electricity then a 9:30 AM again ok, then all day randomly on or off, so I can't do anything serious.

I profit that it's on now to mention that I'll make asap some videos to show the different results when using AND or OR gates and the normal or inverted output on the BugBrand Triple Logic.
syncretism
I have perhaps opened a can of worms. Sorry, Batchas, and thank you for your diligence!
batchas
syncretism wrote:
I have perhaps opened a can of worms

At the contrary! I'm glad you asked. It helps.
It's good to clarify or add missing infos thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

I'll take time to make some videos asap.
batchas
As I am incapable of making a decent video, I will write.
I mentionned earlier that and AND logic will not be satisfying. It's due to the way the circuit is done. The main clock output is way shorter than the outputs on the expander which I decided to add once Le Seq was released.
I made Le Seq X cause I needed something to go directly to a VCA for instance or a LPG, having the possibility to make different rhythms/divisions with switching between 2 outputs.

Now, to get a decent switchable gated output out of Le Seq X, you'd have ot use a OR logic.
A output of le Seq X goes to input A of logic (like BugBrand Triple Logic Gate).
CLOCK output of Le Seq goes to B intput of logic.
Logic output goes into an env. generator (like BugBrand Attack/Decay for instance) which goes to a VCA.
If all switches on Le Seq X are on A position, you get no signal (again due to the difference between Le Seq and Le Seq X outputs). If a switch in on OFF position, you activate the corresponding step. You can also switch to B and use the B output sent to another AD and "accentuate" any step.
To have a "perfect" switchable gated signal and avoid a delay on each step, you simply take the inverted output of the logic module.
chrisdermo
batchas wrote:
As I am incapable of making a decent video, I will write.
I mentionned earlier that and AND logic will not be satisfying. It's due to the way the circuit is done. The main clock output is way shorter than the outputs on the expander which I decided to add once Le Seq was released.
I made Le Seq X cause I needed something to go directly to a VCA for instance or a LPG, having the possibility to make different rhythms/divisions with switching between 2 outputs.

Now, to get a decent switchable gated output out of Le Seq X, you'd have ot use a OR logic.
A output of le Seq X goes to input A of logic (like BugBrand Triple Logic Gate).
CLOCK output of Le Seq goes to B intput of logic.
Logic output goes into an env. generator (like BugBrand Attack/Decay for instance) which goes to a VCA.
If all switches on Le Seq X are on A position, you get no signal (again due to the difference between Le Seq and Le Seq X outputs). If a switch in on OFF position, you activate the corresponding step. You can also switch to B and use the B output sent to another AD and "accentuate" any step.
To have a "perfect" switchable gated signal and avoid a delay on each step, you simply take the inverted output of the logic module.


Tried this out today - awesome! Pretty easy workaround and really nice to have that B output to affect something like decay time on the EG or give a touch more boost to an LPG or VCA. Nice one Robert!
batchas
The switchable FULL outputs are also useful with Active Switches, acting as toggle, depending how many switches are on or off.


Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTlrp6Y51ro
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group