MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

(UK) Show me the ways of the Video Synthesis Warrior...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author (UK) Show me the ways of the Video Synthesis Warrior...
RJBooty
Hi all,

I've been delving into the world of video synthesis and i'm totally blown away. The LZX modules look just fantastic, and I think i'm convinced to start investing.

I was wondering whether there were any UK members who live in the North (around Leeds?) that are into video synthesis and if so, are there any meetups/any members that would be interested in letting me see how it all goes? I've had a search around and as expected it doesn't look like there are any stores that stock this kind of thing to see in action, so I was hoping there might be a more community based group that would let me observe...

Any suggestions or knowledge of such things would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Agawell
I'd try the lzx forum as well

and maybe be prepared to travel a bit

alternatively there are a lot of lzx videos on youtube and instagram

the revent 3 [atches series is pretty gppd
Marizu
Hi, I'm in Manchester, UK. For the last few years, I have been going to the Brighton Modular Meet because they always have a visual room.

Take your time getting into this as it is expensive and you want to make sure that you build a system that does what you want.

Visual synths work well with regular modular and I would say that having Maths and a number of LFO's or other modulators will make your visual patches much more interesting. I wouldn't go into this with a skeletal audio modular system unless you are particularly determined.
I find Maths particularly useful because it has two functions that can cycle and be attenuated down to the 1v that the LZX system uses, and it has two other channels that can attenuate other euro signals down to LZX levels (or put out static voltages).

DIY is one option. The Cadet and Castle modules give a lot of basic building blocks that have CV control. They probably aren't as functionally dense as the commercially built modules but you can connect them however you want (think Doepfer style).

Best of luck with this!
Agawell
+1 for combining with "audio" eurorack

wavefolders and lfos are great as are any analogue utilities

I'll use any combination of maths and stages for modulaton and wavefolders etc for signal processing (I've even been known to run video signals through clouds)
snufkin
RJBooty wrote:
Hi all,

I've been delving into the world of video synthesis and i'm totally blown away. The LZX modules look just fantastic, and I think i'm convinced to start investing.

I was wondering whether there were any UK members who live in the North (around Leeds?) that are into video synthesis and if so, are there any meetups/any members that would be interested in letting me see how it all goes? I've had a search around and as expected it doesn't look like there are any stores that stock this kind of thing to see in action, so I was hoping there might be a more community based group that would let me observe...

Any suggestions or knowledge of such things would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

I sometimes help out with the video room at Brighton Modular meet also run the video circuits group on the evil face book which has lots of UK members.

My advice is learn how composite video works. This is a key foundational knowledge and it helps you understand what you can bring over from the audio world and what you can't and why.
Marizu
RJBooty wrote:
I was wondering whether there were any UK members who live in the North (around Leeds?) that are into video synthesis and if so, are there any meetups/any members that would be interested in letting me see how it all goes?

I've just had a thought. Myself and some friends are having a bit of a mini synth meet in a pub in Urmston (Manchester) on Thursday 5th September from 7pm. It's a bit of a journey, but I appreciate that there aren't too many opportunities to see this stuff.
A couple of the guys that had seen previous performances had expressed an interest in having a run-through and intro to analogue visual synthesis, so I will bring some of it along and go through the basics.
I'll PM this too, due to the short notice. I can forward details of the location in case you are interested.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1