MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Electrosmith MU Modules - Assembled and DIY
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Electrosmith MU Modules - Assembled and DIY
Electrosmith
Hello!

We are very excited to announce a new line of MU modules!

Two designs are shipping today:
3340 VCO
2144 LPF

These are available assembled or as full DIY kits.
screaming goo yo
JohnLRice
I think this is pretty cool because not only are they priced low and offer assembled and kit versions (with all SMT pre-populated and nice build guides), they are also offering just the sub-modules separately, which are the main circuit SMT pre-populated PCBs and at very low prices like $15 to $30 so DIYers take note! Also, you can even get unbranded submodules to put into your own products if you want! See the FAQ:
Quote:
Q - Can I use your submodules in my new product?

A - Absolutely! We offer unbranded submodules that can be purchased wholesale. Send us a message through our online form and we can provide more details.

Yes, they've gone with more of a MOTM look with solid black panels and AlcoSwitch type knobs, like the Noise Engineering 5U modules, but if both of those companies keep bringing out modules and maybe others join in with that style, building small to medium sized systems that will not only look cohesive but be versatile and powerful? Om

sbuge
Very nice modules and good prices too applause
Are you USA based company?
josaka
nice.. like the look.. yet another walllet stamping..
I am trying to save up for something you bastards.
Never maintain cash savings again
daveholiday
I am not sold on the styling....but at the price.....YUP!

I have the Corsynth C110 and love it more than sex....sometimes

The 3340 VCO might have some competition in the near future but damn....the price....
JohnLRice
This is a demo of the eurorack version of the filter but the 5U should sound exactly the same. The first 2/3 of the video has good examples of how it sounds.
daveholiday
I just took a look at the build guide. Very clear and well written, looks to be a pretty simple build!
josaka
got that 80s electro vibe.. which I love..
korg poly 61 ...the electrosmoth filter and osc sound like this..
clue may be in the name. smile

prolly confuse most here.. smile
tardishead
Thats an all time classic tune
ba1
Can the VCO get into LFO territory?
JohnLRice
ba1 wrote:
Can the VCO get into LFO territory?
I'm not sure . . .the manual says the Coarse Frequency Knob has a range of 3.45 Hz to 34.5kHz, the Fine Frequency Knob has a range of 7 semitones Volt per octave voltage input can accept a range of -7.5V to +12V so . . . it "seems" if you were to set the coarse knob fully counter clockwise and then fed it several negative volts it would work as a slow LFO but there may be a limit to how slow it can go? seriously, i just don't get it
josaka
tardishead wrote:

its odd.. most Americans are either unaware or dismissive of this 'ghetto' music.. but in the UK most from that era know/love it.. and it is reveered..
newcleus played in camden the other day..I went along and cosmo D said pretty much that as well.. "UK kept Electro alive ..in America we were dead.." yet another great American genre neglected by Americans..
soup
The young just eat their parents here. Electro gave birth to miami bass, freestyle and booty music which shaped southern hip-hop and whatever the kids are calling what they do now. Egyptian Lover even had a bit of a career resurgence lately. (I'm old so lately = the last 5 years or the massive attack joint.)

But regarding the original topic ... I built a pair of the electro-smith vco's from their submodules and sending -10v to the efm input will let you go pretty slow. It will stop/lock up if you zero everything but you can get down around 0.01 Hz before it does.
josaka
soup wrote:
The young just eat their parents here. Electro gave birth to miami bass, freestyle and booty music which shaped southern hip-hop and whatever the kids are calling what they do now. Egyptian Lover even had a bit of a career resurgence lately. (I'm old so lately = the last 5 years or the massive attack joint.)

But regarding the original topic ... I built a pair of the electro-smith vco's from their submodules and sending -10v to the efm input will let you go pretty slow. It will stop/lock up if you zero everything but you can get down around 0.01 Hz before it does.

I make electro now.. and still find the space synth genre still most alluring..
I dont find those 808 genres have any appeal for me.. Im just a kid a space kid @ heart..

electro also spawned the beast that is techno.. these days people are calling anything with a straight 4 beat and a synth bass techno. confused
synthcube
awesome

if you guys are up for making kits available via other sellers, we're in!!
daveholiday
Seems like JLR has a filter and an OSS...care to give us your 2 cents...or maybe one of those sexy JLR glam shots!
JohnLRice
daveholiday wrote:
Seems like JLR has a filter and an OSS...care to give us your 2 cents...or maybe one of those sexy JLR glam shots!
Ninja I finally got a chance to try it just a little while ago and posted a quick noodle on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1liENphhb4/

I haven't tried it in detail yet but first impressions are that it sounds quite good with the only possible negative so far is that the output volume is reduced when the resonance it turned up, but that is typical with a lot of LPFs. One feature I really like is that it not only has two audio inputs but each one has its own attenuator! w00t Very handy for building small systems because you can get away without having a separate mixer in a 2 VCO 1 VCF setup. thumbs up

EDIT: and you might have seen this quick picture I posted in the 5U system thread:

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention the VCO! d'oh! It also sounds quite good! Note that in the Instagram test I posted I'm running both the ElectroSmith VCO and a SSL VCO into the VCF with the SSL VCO mixed a little lower than the ElectroSmith. (seemed like the SSL VCO has a slightly hotter output but I didn't verify that) Both tracked beautifully over a wide range. Only small negative I noticed is that due to the Fine tune having a range of about an octave and possibly in combination with the small pots and knobs used, trying to tune it in perfectly seemed a little fiddly. (I have somewhat shaky hands)
daveholiday
JohnLRice wrote:
the only possible negative so far is that the output volume is reduced when the resonance it turned up

I think there is a filter module out there that has a compensation circuit....but doesn't have the individual inputs with attenuators!

Still love my Corsynth C110 anyway!

Those oscillators are a bargain...please keep us up to date as you use it!
CF3
josaka wrote:
tardishead wrote:

its odd.. most Americans are either unaware or dismissive of this 'ghetto' music.. but in the UK most from that era know/love it.. and it is reveered..
newcleus played in camden the other day..I went along and cosmo D said pretty much that as well.. "UK kept Electro alive ..in America we were dead.." yet another great American genre neglected by Americans..

Actually its not true. There’s lots of American electro. Like Ectomorph, Aux 88, DJ Stingray, Adult, the whole UR crew, etc. America is a vast country with MANY independent music scenes. Its still even pretty big in Miami with DJs like Danny Daze pushing it.

But I digress...... these modules look fantastic. Been toying with putting together another MU rig. These might push me over the edge. nanners
JohnLRice
CF3 wrote:
these modules look fantastic. Been toying with putting together another MU rig. These might push me over the edge. nanners
thumbs up They also have a dual VCA and FV-1 DSP reverb/DSP boards so hopefully they will do a 5U versions of those as well? (and maybe an EG? cool )
https://www.electro-smith.com/electro-boards
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1