MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone currently making wood side panels for a MS-20?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Anyone currently making wood side panels for a MS-20?
monstrinho
OK, I would really like to replace the side panels on my vintage MS-20 with some nice wood ones. They were being offered by a company called GMU Synth Woodworks here:

https://www.gmusynth.com/collections/woodworks/products/korg-ms-20-woo d-panels

The guy behind this company is also on Muffs under the name of "davestrength." I have tried contacting GMU directly through their web site as well as sending a PM to davestrength here on Muffs but have never received a reply in either case. This is a shame, since the GMU panels are beautiful and I really had my heart set on buying those. Since it looks like GMU is either no longer in business or just not responding to messages (which basically amounts to the same thing) I am trying to find somewhere else that does woodworking for synths.

Does anyone know of a place that makes MS-20 side panels?
Blairio
I have sourced some neat wooden side panels for my Doepfer Dark Energy, and Roland Boutiques from a UK company called:

https://www.synthsandwood.co.uk

They don't list MS20 side panels, but do offer to do custom work.

I have an MS10 (same side panels!) and if you decide to give them a shout then you could mention I would also be interested in a pair. It might bring the price down a wee bit.
chiasticon
looks like mixingtable does, and a couple on Etsy.

never understood why some people are so interested in putting wooden end-cheeks on everything. some things look great that way, others not so much. to me, the MS-20 and Juno 106 are synths that look weird with wooden end cheeks.

THAT SAID, you're correct that those GMU Synth Woodworks ones look excellent! primarily because they use the exact same pattern as the stock end cheeks.
monstrinho
Blairio wrote:
I have sourced some neat wooden side panels for my Doepfer Dark Energy, and Roland Boutiques from a UK company called:

https://www.synthsandwood.co.uk

They don't list MS20 side panels, but do offer to do custom work.

Thanks for the link. I looked into it and unfortunately any custom work needs a CAD file, and I have no experience working with CAD stuff. I’m going to try to find a local shop that can do this. If I find a solution I’ll post it here.
monstrinho
chiasticon wrote:
looks like mixingtable does, and a couple on Etsy.

never understood why some people are so interested in putting wooden end-cheeks on everything. some things look great that way, others not so much. to me, the MS-20 and Juno 106 are synths that look weird with wooden end cheeks.

My MS-20 has a massive crack in one of the end panels. If both end panels were structurally sound I’d happily keep the plastic end panels. One is falling apart, so...
3hands
Why not simply buy some nice wood, remove your panels, trace them onto the wood, find someone to cut it out for you, stain, add screw holes and mount them up!

I know I am probably oversimplifying but it’s something I’ve wanted to do for ages, and never got around to it. However, I’ve been thinking about it a lot over the years, and I can’t see it being much more difficult than the above idea. (I could be horribly wrong of course).
monstrinho
3hands wrote:
Why not simply buy some nice wood, remove your panels, trace them onto the wood, find someone to cut it out for you, stain, add screw holes and mount them up!

I know I am probably oversimplifying but it’s something I’ve wanted to do for ages, and never got around to it. However, I’ve been thinking about it a lot over the years, and I can’t see it being much more difficult than the above idea. (I could be horribly wrong of course).

There's a saying, "If you want something done professionally, hire a professional." I'm not skilled in woodworking, which is why I'm looking for someone who is. It's a shame that GMU does not respond to messages, since their panels are perfect, with the insets on the side and everything. I hope I can find a shop locally to do the same.
monads
GMU synth can be very slow to respond and I believe it's a side business for the owner. It does appear no ones been home with out-of-stock items and lack of facebook activity. It's a shame because they make good product!!! I ordered side replacement panels for an access virus and since there were no dimensions/cad file available I had to send in the originals (be glad you don't have to do the same for your MS-20). It took a long time to get my panels but it was worth it in the end!!!

If you fail to establish contact with GMU your next bet is to locate a local wood working shop who'll take the project. And for a perfect replacement it will involve sending your MS-20 panels so the shop can make exact measurements.
Blairio
If sourcing real wood end panels is proving too problematic, you could always try an overlay of woodgrain 'fablon' (sticky back plastic) on your existing end panels. You get fablon in lots of different wood grains and colours.

I am pretty sure this is what was used on one of the MS20 pictures you get when you search on "MS20 wooden panels".

It is pretty easy to use on simple shapes and can be very effective. I know that the MS10/20 end panels are a more complex profile, but what have you got to lose? A few bucks for a roll of fablon and the time it takes to try it out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/wood-effect-sticky-back-plastic/c7v2o5b78 68t5fx
yewtreemagic
I bought mine for my Korg MS-20 Mini from Dolmage Designs in Canada, to be shipped to the UK, and am very pleased with them.

More on my Korg MS-20 Retro Expansion mods (with a link to Dolmage Designs) on my web site here:

http://www.yewtreemagic.co.uk/soundworlds3.php

Hope this helps!

Martin
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1