Culture Vulture Super 15 vs CV20A

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Neither
Common Wiggler

Culture Vulture Super 15 vs CV20A

Post by Neither » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:46 am

I'm confused about the differences between Culture Vulture's 15th anniversary edition (http://www.thermionicculture.com/index. ... r15-detail)and the 20th anniversary edition (http://www.thermionicculture.com/index. ... 2-7-detail).

At a quick glance the Super 15 seems like a better unit though it is strange that the 15th anniversary edition would have more features than the limited 20th anniversary model. Does the Super 15 has dented output knobs?

StrangeAttraction
Common Wiggler

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:53 am

On the first look...20th Anniversary Edition looks more feature packed. It has more modes, not just T, p1, p2, etc. Also, I believe it has some EQ circuits / presence thingy-ma-bob. What did you end up getting?

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:52 pm

StrangeAttraction wrote:What did you end up getting?

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:47 am

guigui wrote:
Neither wrote:
Neither? Both? Doesn't really matter that much?

I have a special edition green panel CV that I bought new 5 years ago or so.

They come out with special editions every now and then. Usually it involves bringing up the DI input impedence a bit (from 30K to 50K or so, which is ridiculous anyway), adding a couple of modes, sourcing nicer tubes etc. I wouldn't make too much of it.
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:51 pm

huffnPuff wrote:
guigui wrote:
Neither wrote:
Neither? Both? Doesn't really matter that much?

I have a special edition green panel CV that I bought new 5 years ago or so.

They come out with special editions every now and then. Usually it involves bringing up the DI input impedence a bit (from 30K to 50K or so, which is ridiculous anyway), adding a couple of modes, sourcing nicer tubes etc. I wouldn't make too much of it.
According the product specs, the differences are that the 20A has a wider frequency response and a little bit more gain but it lost all those modes that existed on the Super 15 and the Presence switch, which makes me think their intention was to really celebrate the original CV with the 20A.

Are you happy with your CV? Do you think it's worth it?

EDIT: I think the SQ modes on the Super 15 are P2 and P3 modes on the 20A because they have the exact same description on the manual. So the difference are the PK modes on the Super 15.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:07 pm

I don't think any CV is "worth it", they're all horribly over-priced. They're also very noisy and the DI input is ****.
This said, my Machinedrum is permanently hooked up to the CV, it breaks my ears otherwise. They say you can't polish a turd? I think the CV proves otherwise.

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:17 pm

huffnPuff wrote:I don't think any CV is "worth it", they're all horribly over-priced. They're also very noisy and the DI input is ****.
This said, my Machinedrum is permanently hooked up to the CV, it breaks my ears otherwise. They say you can't polish a turd? I think the CV proves otherwise.
Would you recommend anything else?

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:26 pm

I can't say as I've no experience with similar gear that's on the market. I like the CV and I'm not selling mine. Does it sound good? Yes!
They're all more or less the same though, in practical terms, so if you're concerned about value I think the basic unit makes the most sense. Don't buy a special edition unit because you expect it to give you more bandwidth, more fidelity, less noise. Don't buy a special edition because it is more rare and will keep its value - the market is saturated with these.
Also you should work within the CV's limitations to make the most out of - make sure you feed it a healthy signal and keep its gain to a minimum to avoid excessive noise. Use a proper DI in front if you're using it with guitar or bass.

Neither
Common Wiggler

Post by Neither » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:35 am

I ended up getting neither. I was mostly curious about them. One big plus for the CV20A is that it has dented knobs (for balancing stereo signal) and Super 15 doesn't have them.

I guess I might get one on a second hand market... some day.

In the mean while, Black Box Analog Design HG-2 plugin seems like a quite nice alternative.

Return to “General Gear”