MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pams New Workout - 4x Plaits - Harmonaig
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Pams New Workout - 4x Plaits - Harmonaig
Tomorrow Sounds Good
Would this work well ? Still new to this . Cheers
lisa
Depends on what you plan to use it for. smile
sduck
Yes. And No.

Depends. By themselves I'd think they'd be pretty static, but depends on what else you have, and want to do.
Tomorrow Sounds Good
I’d like to trigger them all independently with different timings
Arneb
And the Harmonàig is doing what exactly? IIUC it's not an audio generator, it generates CVs for playing a paraphonic VCO or something, and I think you'll want some kind of single-channel CV sequencer (or just a keyboard) for input to it, which I don't think Pamela's can really do.
Shor
Fwiw Harmonaig can be used as a keyboard, and it also has a gate output that fires either when you play it in keyboard mode, or when the pitch changes.
So technically speaking, one harmonaig + 4 plaits could work together with nothing else (provided you can output the signal somewhere, so either direct to mixer/audio interface etc).

If you want Pam's to sequence, you could use a random output on it and send that into the cv input on the Harmonaig, and Harmonaig will send a gate whenever pitch changes that you can mult to 4x plaits.

In that pam's way of sequencing, you can use other outputs on it as lfo's or whatnot to modulate plaits and/or harmonaig.

If you want to use pam's to sequence gates for the 4x plaits you will end up with pitches potentially changing while a plaits is sustained, which may or may not be desirable.

You could setup a way so the pitch locks when a given plaits is triggered if you use s&h (but you have no s&h available with these 3 different modules).

For this setup, if you are dead set on pams, harmonaig and 4x plaits I'd add something like MI Stages to give you some more control (this can also let you s&h pitches, so the pitch only changes when you trigger plaits).
cptnal
I reckon it could get boring pretty quick, but if you intend to use it as a starting point, sure. However, I would counsel against buying four. Even people who love Plaits to death probably have no more than two. If the whole point is polyphony buy a polysynth - it'll be cheaper and more fully-functioned.
pelang
i would go for: marbels, stage, 2x plaits...that keeps you busy for a long time.
Tomorrow Sounds Good
Shor wrote:
Fwiw Harmonaig can be used as a keyboard, and it also has a gate output that fires either when you play it in keyboard mode, or when the pitch changes.
So technically speaking, one harmonaig + 4 plaits could work together with nothing else (provided you can output the signal somewhere, so either direct to mixer/audio interface etc).

If you want Pam's to sequence, you could use a random output on it and send that into the cv input on the Harmonaig, and Harmonaig will send a gate whenever pitch changes that you can mult to 4x plaits.

In that pam's way of sequencing, you can use other outputs on it as lfo's or whatnot to modulate plaits and/or harmonaig.

If you want to use pam's to sequence gates for the 4x plaits you will end up with pitches potentially changing while a plaits is sustained, which may or may not be desirable.

You could setup a way so the pitch locks when a given plaits is triggered if you use s&h (but you have no s&h available with these 3 different modules).

For this setup, if you are dead set on pams, harmonaig and 4x plaits I'd add something like MI Stages to give you some more control (this can also let you s&h pitches, so the pitch only changes when you trigger plaits).


Thank you
Tomorrow Sounds Good
pelang wrote:
i would go for: marbels, stage, 2x plaits...that keeps you busy for a long time.


Ok thanks will test that out
Shor
I second that marbles+stages+plaits combo. It's very powerful. Maybe grab veils as well and you have a full working system.

If you happen to have an arturia keystep or so you could record your own sequences into it as well and mangle them up.

However, I just want to say Harmonaig is a really good unit if you do want some more controlled chord voicings in eurorack, but for a traditional poly, I also recommend going with a proper poly as they do the job better and much cheaper than eurorack.
Jason Brock
Just a thought, but check out the Mutable Instruments Ambika if you want something that can be a poly with digital oscillators, and it can also be up to 6 monosynths at the same time, each with different settings. The waveforms don't cover as much territory as Plaits, but it's still an excellent sounding box.

To each their own, but for me this module configuration would not be much fun. You will have spent $1,700 to get 4 voices and the only modulation source is coming from something that only has one single knob and an LCD screen to edit (Pam's).
sduck
For a bit less than the plaits you could get a synthtech e370
Orange
4 x Plaits is still a lot cheaper than the e370. And Plaits is available lol
Tomorrow Sounds Good


This is what I have now .

I plan to develop it further when I know what I’m doing with this lot.

Thanks for all your help thumbs up
pelang
you know that plaits can generate very nice cords by itself?

Marbels can be used as main clock and generate groves and melodies?

Stage can be LFO's, oszilators, envelops, step sequencer, harmonic oscilator...?

(i do have Pamela and harmonaig and for me they makes more sense in a larger system...)
sduck
Orange wrote:
4 x Plaits is still a lot cheaper than the e370. And Plaits is available lol


Sorry, I was going on a poorly remembered version of the e370 price - but it's still some ~50$ less than 4 plaits. And perfect circuit has e370's in stock. Whether they're comparable in capabilities - probably not.
bibleblack
The system looks fine but with only one plaits the harmonaig seems like a really expensive keyboard.

For the price of the harmonaig you could get a arturia keystep, a vca (never have enough) and another voice module (possibly a more straight forward oscillator). Even at a push you could get a mult as well that would help bounce the signal; round the system.

What sort of music are you looking to make as I can't quite get my head round what your end goal is with your set up. But I do think you need to look at a vca in there.
Orange
pelang wrote:

(i do have Pamela and harmonaig and for me they makes more sense in a larger system...)


I think Pamela is also queen in a smaller system. SlayerBadger!

@ Knob Head I suggest 2 more Plaits (if you want to stick to the same osc......) 1 Blinds/Veils and 1 Shades for that bad ass case. Also a mult.
Tomorrow Sounds Good
Thanks for the replies smile

This is where I’m up to now and I’m starting to run out of money / finance . Got a few bits I can sell.
This is the best I’ve felt musically in ages , getting proper goosebumps every night .
Planning on getting another oscillator, probably not a plaits .... any ideas ?

Running two oscillator with Rene and Harmonaig I’m getting better results than I could’ve dreamt of smile

Tomorrow Sounds Good
What would a mult do ? Can anyone recommend a good one? Cheers
Summa
Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:
What would a mult do ? Can anyone recommend a good one? Cheers


I think you should start here;

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106396
bibleblack
A mult would just allow you to take one signal and route it to multiple locations.

There are 2 types to choose from which is passive and buffered.

Passive is unpowered and so you will experience a slight drop in the signal so if using as pitch for multiple oscillators the tracking could be off but would work fine for say an lfo modulating multiple parameters or bouncing triggers to 2 different envelopes.


https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/fomu-patch-cable-splitter-multip le/

Buffered is powered so would not experience drop in signal

https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/links/

Hop[e this helps
Tomorrow Sounds Good
I can use stackables as a mult no?
bibleblack
yes
Tomorrow Sounds Good
bibleblack wrote:
yes


Ordered stackables
Tomorrow Sounds Good
[img]https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/985971[/img]



Had to send wasp filter back as I didn’t like the sound . I have this hooked up with my drum machine and it’s working brilliantly!!

I’m looking for filter module and delay module recommendations.

Any help greatly appreciated:)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group