MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How many Zellersasn on Muffs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author How many Zellersasn on Muffs?
soundinett
A year ago Zellersasn was sold out in minutes when in stock.

Now it is available in the Montreal Assembly store since more than a month. Demand has obviously reached a normal level.

I wonder who has bought a Zellersasn. And what are the experiences with this pedal? And if stolen, would you buy it again?
moloque
Got one few months ago used. Defensively needs couple of hours to play with it, before understanding what's going on. The biggest point for me was to be patient to hear the result of my tweaking. It's not obvious right away but at the next repeat. At the beginning it's easier to tweak only 1-2 parameters and then wait for the repeats to know/hear the result. And not like me tweaking 5 knobs and two switches wondering why I don't hear any differences and when it repeats it's just a mess.

Haven't try the midi stuff yet... We're trying with my band mate to have the 856 receiving the same sequenced info than one of its synth but might end-up having its own sequencer channel.

As for the demands we don't know (at least I don't) how many units per batch; if before it was 10 and now 100 or whatever...
dkcg
soundinett wrote:
Over a year Zellersasn was sold out in minutes when in stock.

Now it is available in the Montreal Assembly store since more than a month. Demand has obviously reached a normal level.

I wonder who has bought a Zellersasn. And what are the experiences with this pedal? And if stolen, would you buy it again?

I'll have one i a few days. I was bored, went to the count to 5 website to look at the manuals again and for any firmware updates, saw the Zellersasn was in stock, saw there was even a blemish discounted, and click...

I'm not sure what to expect yet, mainly bought it because I like the CT5 so much.

PS I think there might be more blemish discounted ones, it wasn't sold out after I bought mine.
Summa
I guess the market is saturated with pretty much anything, be it pedals or modules, people always looking for the next hyped thing. Currently I'm guessing the Chase Bliss Blooper takes the market from the 856 easily with twice the sample length and lot more direct seriously, i just don't get it controls, hard to tell by a demo anyway.

The thing with the 856 is that you really need to spend some time with it and try undertand what's actually going on, there's a couple of demo's up now explaining it a bit but you have t get used to and remember what's going on when switching between modes and so forth..

For me I came to a point when I understood the pedal and every time I use it in a chain of pedals it's instant gratification. It's definitely not your average loop pedal (thank god for that) applause
smetak
Summa wrote:
I guess the market is saturated with pretty much anything, be it pedals or modules, people always looking for the next hyped thing. Currently I'm guessing the Chase Bliss Blooper takes the market from the 856 easily with twice the sample length and lot more direct seriously, i just don't get it controls, hard to tell by a demo anyway.

Yep, this instantly crossed my mind while watching the lastest Blooper demo.

And would say the same regarding the Mood and the Ct5. Although my Mood has yet to arrive, from the demos, it seems to be a serious take on the blue box from Montreal Assembly.
dkcg
Remember the good ol days when everyone was so hyped about the CAS teaspoon and the Hexe Revolver?

I still want a Hexe...but already got lots of overlap in my gear, my pedals are starting to look more like a spirograph than a venn diagram of overlap.

Also, after about a week delay in customs, my 856 is here...but no time to play. Doing some freelance on the side that's taking up all my time outside of work. d'oh!
soundinett
Orderd one. Two weeks: from underwhelmed overwhelmed.

Its not a pedal. Its a desktop decomposing/recomposing looper.

On of those producs that represent a new paradigm: the pedalworld as a parallel universe to modular. But closely linked to that modular synthworld. (See upcoming Purpll from Montrreal Assembly with lots of CV iconnection.)

Not really a live tool. But very good standalone or incorporated into a setup built around it.

A very musical instrument that needs big ears.

Spent hours with this machine. Think of getting me a second one.
smetak
Speaking of...

https://www.reddit.com/r/guitarpedals/comments/61d4u7/montreal_assembl y_purpll_demo/
woVERTICES
Got one months ago and constrained by time, responsibilities and my inherent laziness and distain for manuals, have yet to wrap my head around it... using it presently as a simple looper...and it ain't simple!
Best,
John
soundinett
A Midi clock divider helps a lot to get the most out of the Zellersasn when controlled by external clock.
If a Midi clock runs fast, the samples on the Zellersasn run short.

I found a Future Retro Swynx that let me play long and expressive samples even when the clockspeed is 120 bpm and more. And it adds additional swing to the Zellersasn samples.

soundinett
Track produced with the above setup. Sound sketches for a student theater production.

Zellersasn here sounds guitarish / pianoish: a 2 chord guitar phrase recomposed, stored in the 3 note tracks. Nice drift of the Zellersasn loops around the Midi clock. Additional sounds by Zoom MRT 3 (percussion), Zoom ARQ96 (boomkick, reverse sample of original guitar phrase), CS6r (decreasing pad), Sony DPS F7 (woodwinds).

[s]https://soundcloud.com/soundinett/sina-geist-strasse[/s]
Severed head
soundinett wrote:
On of those producs that represent a new paradigm: the pedalworld as a parallel universe to modular. But closely linked to that modular

new ?
”Modern“ fx pedals have been modular since there inception.
And are essentially a module that you set on the floor.
Right? one modulation source routed to another via patch cables

Effecting the sound of an oscillation (a oscillating string)
gated/triggered by a strike.

And now the a lot of manufacturers have turned back to have more cv ins
All some needs to do is rehouse a pedal and it’s a “module” In the typical sense
prscrptn
soundinett wrote:
Track produced with the above setup. Sound sketches for a student theater production.

Zellersasn here sounds guitarish / pianoish: a 2 chord guitar phrase recomposed, stored in the 3 note tracks. Nice drift of the Zellersasn loops around the Midi clock. Additional sounds by Zoom MRT 3 (percussion), Zoom ARQ96 (boom), CS6r (decreasing pad), Sony DPS F7 (woodwinds).

[s]https://soundcloud.com/soundinett/sina-geist-strasse[/s]

Very nice track Guinness ftw!
dkcg
Severed head wrote:
All some needs to do is rehouse a pedal and it’s a “module” In the typical sense

A lot of pedal designers also have eurorack systems. Just about every pedal I got that had an expression input, I would email the designer(s) to ask about the specs because I didn't wanna blow anything up and would let them know I'm planning on using it with CVs from a modular synth, and I find out that many of them have one.

Matt from WMD didn't have any euro modules when I first got my Geiger Counter, then came the GC euro module, and now seems like he's all in on modulars.

I forget his name, but the guy behind Red Panda also is into modular synths, but no modules from him yet. Maybe he enjoys it too much to make it part of his work.

I think pretty much anyone who designs pedals and is a sound design geek (not someone looking for that perfect fuzz that only they can tell the difference) would have modular interests. I don't know if he has one, but Scott from Montreal Assembly, I would be super amazed if he didn't have any modules.

However, modules in the technical sense at least from what I understand, are smaller pieces(sub systems) that are combined into a larger system that operates as one unit. Loosely pedals fit that, but also, pedals don't need a rack, a power supply (beyond a $10 wall wart), and other modules to do something.

The more open way you're thinking of modules, a violinist could be a module in an orchestra. A drummer could be a module in a band.

Not saying you're wrong, but also not agreeing 100%.

And to stay on topic...I still haven't had a chance to even plug my zellersan in yet. Even got a PurPLL since then, also haven't had time. Damn freelance project on the side is letting me buy all this stuff I don't have time for because I'm busy working to get money to buy this stuff. d'oh!
soundinett
Severed head wrote:
soundinett wrote:
On of those producs that represent a new paradigm: the pedalworld as a parallel universe to modular. But closely linked to that modular

new ?

What I would like to say with "new paradigm" is that pedals emancipate from guitar-or-the-like-input which was and is the classic pedal use. Now they become sound sources in itself. Which makes it possible, to build up soundscapes with pedals alone.

Classical pedal gesture was a guitarist standing, playing along and trying to alter his sound sending it through a single pedal.

The new paradigme sees the guitarist sitting in front of his pedal and turning knobs. No guitar anymore. Eventually playing a short phrase but often not even this. Knobs over strings.

This is the new gesture of pedal modularity. Youtube-Channel "Knobs" wisely choosed its name. Knobs has become a massive multiplier of the new paradigm. You never see a guitar in their little films. Same in modular synth worlds. No keyboards anymore. Musicians sitting in front of walls of knobs and wires.

No wonder that pedal manufactuers go Eurorack. Zellersasn would be a great module :-)
Severed head
soundinett wrote:
Severed head wrote:
soundinett wrote:

new ?

What I would like to say with "new paradigm" is that pedals emancipate from guitar-or-the-like-input which was and is the classic pedal use. Now they become sound sources in itself. Which makes it possible, to build up soundscapes with pedals alone.

Classical pedal gesture was a guitarist standing, playing along and trying to alter his sound sending it through a single pedal.

The new paradigme sees the guitarist sitting in front of his pedal and turning knobs. No guitar anymore. Eventually playing a short phrase but often not even this. Knobs over strings.

This is the new gesture of pedal modularity. Youtube-Channel "Knobs" wisely choosed its name. Knobs has become a massive multiplier of the new paradigm. You never see a guitar in their little films. Same in modular synth worlds. No keyboards anymore. Musicians sitting in front of walls of knobs and wires.

No wonder that pedal manufactuers go Eurorack. Zellersasn would be a great module :-)

yeah I agree the gesture / the way of use seems to be the thing thats changed over the last few decades.
as it is with in creative environments.
someone is always looking to interesting, strange, new was to use the tools / materials available to create their vision.

also no surprise a lot or pedal manufactures that are small businesses or whats consider boutique get into modular. for the obvious reasons, the change from pedal to module is fairly easy and especially if the potential for interchangeability is considered in the design process. & with modular / euro being way more popular that it was in the early 2000s when the boutique pedal trend slowly started to be readily available via internet theres a demand for manufactures to make the design to be easily integrated into both worlds; and wheres theres a demand theres always someone willing supply, when the reward$ for doing so are there.

fortunately (for us & them I g)some of the companies that started with making pedals make much better/interesting unique modules that they did pedals...
smetak
Severed head wrote:
soundinett wrote:
Severed head wrote:
soundinett wrote:

new ?

yeah I agree the gesture / the way of use seems to be the thing thats changed over the last few decades.
as it is with in creative environments.
someone is always looking to interesting, strange, new was to use the tools / materials available to create their vision.

also no surprise a lot or pedal manufactures that are small businesses or whats consider boutique get into modular. for the obvious reasons, the change from pedal to module is fairly easy and especially if the potential for interchangeability is considered in the design process. & with modular / euro being way more popular that it was in the early 2000s when the boutique pedal trend slowly started to be readily available via internet theres a demand for manufactures to make the design to be easily integrated into both worlds; and wheres theres a demand theres always someone willing supply, when the reward$ for doing so are there.

fortunately (for us & them I g)some of the companies that started with making pedals make much better/interesting unique modules that they did pedals...

Interesting take on the current use of "guitar pedals". One of the reasons I steadily went modular was the limitation imposed by the stomp; clicking the box on with your foot would rarely gave the box its merit in regard to sound and frequency creation. Maybe it did in the 80s or 90s with a sole tube screamer, but that has long past....the knob becomes key.

Yet, still, some pedals beg for module/euro format and have not made the transition - Chase Bliss pedals are a prime exemple - the DIP switch solution is brilliant and frustrating at the same time (I mean, how many of us are going to meddle, especially live, with a mouse piano on the flip side of the box? Being in my early 50s, have a terrible time reading the micro labels). Joel could really make the thing into a modular - Strymon did it with the Magneto, which seems to be quite up there (personally, never had a chance to try one).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1