MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New poly synth/synth company - ASM Hydrasynth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author New poly synth/synth company - ASM Hydrasynth
UltraViolet
There is still a trade off between number of voices + sound quality versus processing power on even modern CPU's. A stand alone instrument probably can't have a core i9 or Ryzen 9 so it will be limited more than a PC based software synth. The only way to get away from the CPU processing limit it to use GPUs. Of course that has its own new set of issues.

I don't think ASM arbitrarily limited it to 8 voices. That was probably the most they could have and still have high quality sound.
seychmar
Manual is available on the website.
digitalganesha
Nelson Baboon wrote:
i always have to laugh at the gearslutz type negative comments from people who haven't used an instrument but trash it before it has been released.

Not sure if anything was pointed my way, but in no way am I putting the Hydra down, in fact I'm looking forward to it. And I completely agree with you about trashing and instrument before physically using it in real life. However, one does not need to do so to to know what won't be possible based upon the polyphony.

Nelson Baboon wrote:
i mean, people write about the polyphony as if they are maliciously limiting it, laughing diabolically behind the scenes about people buying the synth and then running out of voices.....

I am willing to bet that they are not being malicious and laughing diabolically (although you never know what new fetish is out there twisted ) but they are intentionally limiting polyphony on purpose for one reason: cost. Yes, I am that one person complaining that the synth is not more expensive. And I'm sure a few months down the road after buying the Hydrasynth - they possibly will announce a 'big brother' to it and people like me will be all about it while the rest complain it's too expensive; but the end result will give me polyphony for layers and ASM another purchase from people like me. One thing is certain - I will NOT be utilizing the polyphonic aftertouch to play anything from Blade Runner.
onthebandwagon
Seems like some who have decided to buy an Argon8 feel the need to also talk smack about Hydra.
Panason
I'm sure Hydra doesn't mind a bit of smack talk, being a machine.
I'm not fond of ASM's aggressive marketing and the "Hail Hydra" , "digital is the new analog" blah. And so far I'm not hearing anything special. The UI is certainly very nice.
tvh
digitalganesha wrote:
One thing is certain - I will NOT be utilizing the polyphonic aftertouch to play anything from Blade Runner.

They actually already covered that on their soundcloud lol. https://soundcloud.com/ashunsoundmachines/bladetitles-paulschilling-de mo
onthebandwagon
Panason wrote:
I'm sure Hydra doesn't mind a bit of smack talk, being a machine.
I'm not fond of ASM's aggressive marketing and the "Hail Hydra" , "digital is the new analog" blah. And so far I'm not hearing anything special. The UI is certainly very nice.

Yes well point taken—the whole concept of pre-ordering and making people speculate about the amount of product that will be available after seems to make hasty decision making on the consumer’s end.

What are your feelings on the Argon8?
Panason
Well the Argon8 sounds more solid/fat/warm to me judging by the SonicState demo. There are impressive amounts of low end too. But I'm not sure it can do all the wavetable morphing and trickery that the Hydra does... and even if it does it will probably be more menu divey.
The hands-on implementation on the Hydra looks like tons of fun and something that I would actually do. I rarely get into trying complex modulations in synths if it involves paging around a screen to get to the parameters and adjust with a single data encoder... Even on softsynths I refuse to go beyond the front panel even if there are more dials to wiggle in the second page.
onthebandwagon
Sounds you have more of an issue with their marketing which I can understand. I have one on pre-order but am thinking it might be best to wait and see how others like it—I have a hard time sitting through most of the reviewers videos, which I agree are somewhat short on really letting you hear the thing. I do like that it has CV among a lot of other things.
mmp
The mod matrix and poly-aftertouch sold me. But, I really like to have a lot of realtime control over timbre when I perform with a synth. Some people are happy with a switch to trigger a sample, or an analog synth without even velocity control. Luckily there are many different available tools for different tastes & jobs. I placed an order based on the performance attributes and not so much the raw sound as heard in demos. Though, I do believe I will have success in programming this instrument to my personal sonic standards.
onthebandwagon
mmp wrote:
The mod matrix and poly-aftertouch sold me. But, I really like to have a lot of realtime control over timbre when I perform with a synth. Some people are happy with a switch to trigger a sample, or an analog synth without even velocity control. Luckily there are many different available tools for different tastes & jobs. I placed an order based on the performance attributes and not so much the raw sound as heard in demos. Though, I do believe I will have success in programming this instrument to my personal sonic standards.

Is that to assume you pre-ordered one? The person I spoke to at Sweetwater seemed to vaguely imply that they haven’t fulfilled their first round of pre-orders.
mmp
Yes. Pre-ordered.
UltraViolet
Panason wrote:
I'm not fond of ASM's aggressive marketing and the "Hail Hydra" , "digital is the new analog" blah.

Did they actually say that? I haven't watched all the videos and couldn't find it with a search. It is wrong to be saying that. At this point analog is a classic and really can't be replaced by digital. Digital can do things that analog can't and one day may be overall better, but it will never be a real replacement for analog as in "the new analog".
Panason
It was quoted from one of the ASM guys showing the synth in a trade show, in one of the YT vids in this thread I think. Not a big deal and it's OK to generate some hype but I prefer Modal's more low key and down to earth approach (so far).. and their price.
dubnspace
UltraViolet wrote:
Panason wrote:
I'm not fond of ASM's aggressive marketing and the "Hail Hydra" , "digital is the new analog" blah.

Did they actually say that? I haven't watched all the videos and couldn't find it with a search. It is wrong to be saying that. At this point analog is a classic and really can't be replaced by digital. Digital can do things that analog can't and one day may be overall better, but it will never be a real replacement for analog as in "the new analog".

its blasted across the front page of their website:
http://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/
UltraViolet
You're right! Didn't stay on their home page long enough before to see it.
Sinamsis
Panason wrote:
It was quoted from one of the ASM guys showing the synth in a trade show, in one of the YT vids in this thread I think. Not a big deal and it's OK to generate some hype but I prefer Modal's more low key and down to earth approach (so far).. and their price.

Ha I guess that's to distract from the 002/008 which are still waiting on promised features. Don't get me wrong, I love mine. But Modal have tried the high end market and seem to have developed a very opposite tact now, which sucks for those of us who bought in early on. Ha, I still may snag an 008 again some day. I still own an 002 and I really love the sound. I do happen to really like the analog filters though, particularly with the variable slope.
vegeta897
UltraViolet wrote:
It is wrong to be saying that. At this point analog is a classic and really can't be replaced by digital. Digital can do things that analog can't and one day may be overall better, but it will never be a real replacement for analog as in "the new analog".

In an interview that I can't find right now, I believe Glen points out that the slogan is very much a tongue in cheek response to the petty analog-vs-digital wars that have been happening for the last 10+ years.

It is only the cynical synth enthusiast that would take such a slogan seriously, thinking that someone with years of synth creation experience would honestly say that digital could replace analog or vice versa. wink
UltraViolet
vegeta897 wrote:
UltraViolet wrote:
It is wrong to be saying that. At this point analog is a classic and really can't be replaced by digital. Digital can do things that analog can't and one day may be overall better, but it will never be a real replacement for analog as in "the new analog".

In an interview that I can't find right now, I believe Glen points out that the slogan is very much a tongue in cheek response to the petty analog-vs-digital wars that have been happening for the last 10+ years.

It is only the cynical synth enthusiast that would take such a slogan seriously, thinking that someone with years of synth creation experience would honestly say that digital could replace analog or vice versa. wink

Serious or not, it shouldn't be their marketing slogan plastered across the home page of their website.
tehyar
Seriously?

Do you see “Orange is the New Black” on Netflix and rail against it: orange can’t be black! They’re nowhere near each other in the color spectrum! One isn’t even a color!1
Panason
Apples and oranges, innit.

I can dig that it's tongue in cheek. That often gets lost in the realm of text. I should know. meh

Anyway I wonder if they can add a step sequencer for pitches and modulations per step.... The desktop has 24 pads...it would make it a lot more appealing. 16 pads for the x0x sequencing of 8 bar long patterns, with the remaining 8 pads to select which bar you're working on. Pattern saved with the patch.
DiscoDevil
This is one of the few pieces I have GAS for these days but there seems to be quite a bit of sonic overlap with the Modor NF-1 which I am 100% in bed with already. Hmmmm
flashheart
UltraViolet wrote:
vegeta897 wrote:
UltraViolet wrote:

Serious or not, it shouldn't be their marketing slogan plastered across the home page of their website.

Why ever not seriously, i just don't get it d'oh!
UltraViolet
flashheart wrote:
UltraViolet wrote:
vegeta897 wrote:
UltraViolet wrote:

Why ever not seriously, i just don't get it d'oh!

There are many people with a strong bias against digital (not always without good reason). A slogan like that will tend to push them farther away. You can say something jokingly and be fine, but if you put it in print then the joking context is lost and it will generally be taken as being said seriously by whoever reads it.
vegeta897
UltraViolet wrote:
There are many people with a strong bias against digital (not always without good reason). A slogan like that will tend to push them farther away. You can say something jokingly and be fine, but if you put it in print then the joking context is lost and it will generally be taken as being said seriously by whoever reads it.

You're right, I'm not sure how ASM will survive this marketing blunder.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 5 of 7