MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New poly synth/synth company - ASM Hydrasynth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author New poly synth/synth company - ASM Hydrasynth
tobb
Flux302 wrote:

2) you would want cv where? In the back where you can’t get to it ... ok smh

'Can't get to it' lol,jacks at the back and silkscreen on the edge of the panel solves this..

Jacks on top of the panel = inviting dust getting into the machine + guaranteed having soon or later scratches on the top panel...
tehyar
tobb wrote:
Flux302 wrote:

2) you would want cv where? In the back where you can’t get to it ... ok smh

'Can't get to it' lol,jacks at the back and silkscreen on the edge of the panel solves this..

Jacks on top of the panel = inviting dust getting into the machine + guaranteed having soon or later scratches on the top panel...

It keeps the keys and module similar, and the module is rack mountable with recessed connections. rack mounted = can't get to it.
hippo1
Maybe I'm just a little jealous, but...
...If you don't even use the onboard synth, you've finally got a 4-octave standard synth keyboard with polyAT AND a ribbon controller. I'm guessing everyone with a Deckard's Dream will snap 'em up; hope they don't sell out. [Man, I gotta sell a kidney or something!]

I'm never one to advocate spending more than necessary, but - why even consider the module, except for price? After all, it's just another digital synth hybrid if you don't count the obvious 'wow' factor of polyAT and ribbon....
nodog
Flux302 wrote:
what sort of things do you feel like you wanna see from it? I’ll see what I can cobble together over the weekend. I have a video going live probably tonight showing how to create a eveloving kind of pad sound. And in it I show the workflow pretty well.

Well, that's exactly what i want to see so looking forward to checking that one. Thanks for all your vids by the way!
mmp
I would like to hear oscillator morphing and folding, etc driven by the polyAT if you get a chance.

Thanks for all the videos.

Flux302 wrote:
Ok so I’m gonna ask, and please everyone be nice ... what sort of stuff would you like me to show in a video of it. I’m gonna be shooting more videos of it (because I want to not because I’m paid to or anything else). So I figure I’ll ask, what sort of things do you feel like you wanna see from it? I’ll see what I can cobble together over the weekend. I have a video going live probably tonight showing how to create a eveloving kind of pad sound. And in it I show the workflow pretty well.
Sinamsis
mmp wrote:
I would like to hear oscillator morphing and folding, etc driven by the polyAT if you get a chance.

Thanks for all the videos.

Flux302 wrote:
Ok so I’m gonna ask, and please everyone be nice ... what sort of stuff would you like me to show in a video of it. I’m gonna be shooting more videos of it (because I want to not because I’m paid to or anything else). So I figure I’ll ask, what sort of things do you feel like you wanna see from it? I’ll see what I can cobble together over the weekend. I have a video going live probably tonight showing how to create a eveloving kind of pad sound. And in it I show the workflow pretty well.

Yeah, I'd like more info/demonstration on the wavemorphing/wavelist.
wiperactive
Having just got a Microfreak and very much liking it, this Hydrasynth looks and sounds like what I would want of the little one in an expanded form. No surprise then to find that Glen Darcey's design input is common to both.... great to see the polyphonic aftertouch idea carried over from the touch keyboard into this... synthesists have been crying out for this for far too long.

Nice sounding digital engine, clear control panel layout (module select), poly AT and long ribbon controller allied to masses of complex modulation routings at a decent price has me looking at a couple of my 90s romplers that may now comfortably go to help pay for this. Hope the poly AT is mechanically robust for longevity unlike some previous implementations way back.

So far I've been charmed by Paul Schilling's soundcloud patch demos and the closing minutes of Daniel Fisher's Sweetwater sound demo video.

I wonder if the keyboard version and desktop could be polychained for 16 voice polyphony?
NotHerbert
wiperactive wrote:

I wonder if the keyboard version and desktop could be polychained for 16 voice polyphony?

Pretty sure one of those videos said you can to this. I think it was the Sweetwater one, but not sure.
SteeVtheRipper
Flux...As boring as it may be I would love to hear just some classic vintage analog poly tones. That’s a big consideration for me when buying a polysynth. The crazy digital stuff is icing on the cake. But for me, especially since I’m comparing it to the Summit which I was pretty settled on, the ability to sound warm and analog as well as clear and digital is important.
anselmi
SteeVtheRipper wrote:
Flux...As boring as it may be I would love to hear just some classic vintage analog poly tones. That’s a big consideration for me when buying a polysynth. The crazy digital stuff is icing on the cake. But for me, especially since I’m comparing it to the Summit which I was pretty settled on, the ability to sound warm and analog as well as clear and digital is important.

same here, but see: the Summit has real analog VCF/VCA so this is a big part of the warm sound capabilities
the hydrasynth is 100% digital and I think it´s a "proud digital" design, so they just focused in this side of the sounds more than get close to an analog poly
nodog
I think in this case it is really a matter of getting them both. Maybe get a Peak instead of the Summit? Second hand Peak + Hydra keys is just a tiny bit more expensive than the Summit.

Best of both worlds + poly aftertouch/ribbon.
meatcliff
Dcramer wrote:
Really a beauty of a design, love those design nods to Ensoniq love
The synth architecture seems a bit like a Blofeld on steroids eek!

I had the same thoughts - really great nods and influence from Ensoniq, Xpander, PPG, T8. Definitely agree about the Blofeld style - this seems like a fully realized version of those ideas and direction.

I'm very interested in trying this out. Having pads with aftertouch on the desktop version is kind of genius for people like me who aren't necessarily looking for keys, but do occasionally need them.

The Perfect Circuit interview with ASM and their demo video are both great.
mome rath
rowsbywoof wrote:
Is this like a modern-day Fizmo? Sure sounds like they’re talking around not saying Transwave Synth.

my thoughts as well
mmp
This is my path. Have the Peak and adding the Hydra. On order.

nodog wrote:
I think in this case it is really a matter of getting them both. Maybe get a Peak instead of the Summit? Second hand Peak + Hydra keys is just a tiny bit more expensive than the Summit.

Best of both worlds + poly aftertouch/ribbon.
Funky40
the first synth since *along* time that has my attention !
beside the ever lasting GAS for the montage/MODX ( no space)

Sinamsis wrote:

Flux302 wrote:
Ok so I’m gonna ask, and please everyone be nice ... what sort of stuff would you like me to show in a video of it.

Yeah, I'd like more info/demonstration on the wavemorphing/wavelist.

+1, same.
edit: ok, just read how its oganised.....should be demoable, no ?

also like to see a sound that suits vs. different Envelope settings, fast to slow.
a Main point here is *to see* the manual adjustment ...going from setting to seting........percussive / different flavors.......to paddy/ different flavors
( is it fiddly ? fast attacks to setup well ? behave of slow attacks ? etc. )
wiperactive
NotHerbert wrote:
wiperactive wrote:

Pretty sure one of those videos said you can to this. I think it was the Sweetwater one, but not sure.

Thanks for the slightly uncertain pointer. Just seen that excellent Sweetwater "Deep Dive" video and Daniel Fisher confirms that this can be done when he turns to the desktop unit.

It's easy to feel "if only" (as always) on certain aspects such as why not a five octave keyboard with such an important attribute like poly AT or a sequencer instead of the arpeggiator (great as it is) etc etc. But I think at this price point ASM have made what appears to be a great synth, prioritising the features needed for a powerful, high modulation count, synth engine.

When DSI released the Prophet 12, at the time, that was the polysynth I was after in terms of modulation complexity, but due to the pricing, which I couldn't meet, I relented and later secured a Pro 2. This Hydrasynth, in those terms, is what I would now consider the more affordable currently comparable engine for that style of deep synthesis with a useful amount of true polyphony... the onboard poly AT, which seems to be well implemented, has me hooked. When digital can sound this good and varied, for me, the analogue/digital arguments largely fade away.
Hooft
It looks like the PWM section is pretty hot.

Pulse Width Mod – Adjust pulse width of ALL waveforms.
PWSqueeze – Compresses the center section of the waveform.
PW-ASM – 8 User adjustable wave squeeze/stretch points.

Would love to hear this stuff from anyone with a unit.

Also, the Threeler filter sounds like a brilliant inclusion here: AFAIK not previously available outside of modular?
Phase47
On the desktop model, can you power it on/off from the front panel since the actual power switch looks to be quite recessed.?
SteeVtheRipper
Now I’m pondering the Peak/Hydra combo. Best of both. My question is will the Peak respond to the Poly AT?
Maybe that setup is redundant.

Also does the Hydrasynth have audio in?

Currently my dilemma is:
Summit and Matriarch
Hydrasynth and Matriarch
Hydrasynth, Peak and Matriarch

Damn those 49 keys. That’s my biggest sticking point on Hydra. Felt that to be so limiting on the DM12, one of the reasons I parted with it.
mmp
Yes, Peak responds very well to Poly Aftertouch. That is the only reason I am not buying the Summit. I have an order in for a Hydrasynth to pair with what will soon be two Peaks.

Hydrasynth can pass audio signals to the mixer by using the CV ins through the Ring Modulator channel.

I will likely swap out the Hydrasynth when the company introduces a 61 or larger PolyAT controller or synth.

SteeVtheRipper wrote:
Now I’m pondering the Peak/Hydra combo. Best of both. My question is will the Peak respond to the Poly AT?

Currently my dilemma is:
Summit and Matriarch
Hydrasynth and Matriarch

Damn those 49 keys. That’s my biggest sticking point on Hydra. Felt that to be so limiting on the DM12, one of the reasons I parted with it.
nuromantix
A couple of questions in case anyone here knows:
I've read that it contains the "threeler" filter but I've also read it's all digital. Is it a digital model of the threeler? Or actual analogue filters? (I guess too good to be true)

and

does anyone know the resolution that the sounds are calculated / output at?
I am hoping to hear PPG/Prophet VS kind of high freqs from this, nothing too band limited wink
SteeVtheRipper
Thanks for that info. That kinda makes me lean towards the Peak/Hydra combo. One of the big draws of the Summit for me is the dual filter. If I’m able to pass the Peak into the dual filters of the Hydra, that makes me a happy boy.

That’s a good point about the possibility of a larger synth coming down the line. I almost bought a Grandmother, then the Matriarch came out and I was very glad I hadn’t pulled the trigger. I don’t want to pull the trigger on the Hydra and then something more to my liking (61 keys, and 16 voices with multitimbrality) comes along a few months later.

mmp wrote:
Yes, Peak responds very well to Poly Aftertouch. That is the only reason I am not buying the Summit. I have an order in for a Hydrasynth to pair with what will soon be two Peaks.

Hydrasynth can pass audio signals to the mixer by using the CV ins through the Ring Modulator channel.

I will likely swap out the Hydrasynth when the company introduces a 61 or larger PolyAT controller or synth.

SteeVtheRipper wrote:

Currently my dilemma is:
Summit and Matriarch
Hydrasynth and Matriarch

mmp
Nothing analog in this synth.

nuromantix wrote:
A couple of questions in case anyone here knows:
I've read that it contains the "threeler" filter but I've also read it's all digital. Is it a digital model of the threeler? Or actual analogue filters? (I guess too good to be true)
a100user

Panason
"digital is the new analog" "Make digital cool"....

Analog is not "cool"(because it looks like lab gear?)... it just makes more vibrant and alive sounding synths, when it's good, because our ears can pick up a lot of subtlety and nuance... Nobody outside synth nerd circles cares about how your sounds are made when you play or publish music... but a big fat and warm sound makes a difference and people feel it...

Not really hearing anything worthwhile here.. If they had seeked more outside feedback before pushing ahead with production....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 3 of 7