MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New poly synth/synth company - ASM Hydrasynth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author New poly synth/synth company - ASM Hydrasynth
Zymos
If only they'd asked that one guy on the Internet before designing this synth.... meh
Panason
I was checking my emails every day!
tehyar
tehyar wrote:
Now I just need Nick to wrap up his review so I can see how well it PWMs and how long the reverb tails.

https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/09/17/sonic-lab-hail-hydrasynth-digit al-8-voice-poly/

And the answer is: yes. A huge yes. This thing is nuts. Ordered.
mamsk
tehyar wrote:
tehyar wrote:
Now I just need Nick to wrap up his review so I can see how well it PWMs and how long the reverb tails.

https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/09/17/sonic-lab-hail-hydrasynth-digit al-8-voice-poly/

And the answer is: yes. A huge yes. This thing is nuts. Ordered.

cannot fuckin wait to get mine
h4ndcrafted
Well I guess Nick’s video answers the question about bass, no problems there.
snufkin
It's quite refreshing to see a synth that doesn't pretend to be a re-issue and has it's own thing going on.

Nothing ground braking but true instrument design.

A great edition to the world of synths for sure.
onthelees
I wasn't interested until Nick's video but now I see this as something potentiallypretty interesting. There are some tricks here that I haven't seen before. Some unique possibilities for modulation and....Poly Aftertouch for under $1300. That alone seems worth it. Still, the sounds I have heard so far are SO digital and "In your face" . I would love to hear something even quazi-analogue out of this synth engine, something subtle, gentle, ambient.
Gribs
ASM somehow got Glen Darcy away from Arturia. I have been impressed with his videos on Arturia stuff. He seems to be very knowledgeable, really into the details or patch programming, a long-time synth nerd. Watching some interviews and whatnot, it looks like the entire Hydrasynth is very well thought-out as both a sound-design tool and a playable and tweakable instrument. I want this thing more than anything else new(ish) out there, including a Moog One. The price was very surprising. I suspect ASM will sell many of them.

I am fighting my long-established policy of not pre-ordering from first batches of a product. I got hit by the Prophet 08 jumpy encoder thing (before the PE edition or upgrades were available) and also by the Korg Kronos first run data wheel looseness issue.
onthebandwagon
WhT sequencer seems like a suitable fit for this?
tvh
The sweetwater vids convinced me of the potential of this synth. The ribbon controller + poly AT = finally see what all the CS80 hub-bub is about hihi
UltraViolet
The price of the keyboard model is really not a bad price for just the keyboard and ribbon controller when compared to the alternatives.

Given the current market, it would seem that an analog or partially analog version would have been more welcomed. However, both digital and analog have the potential to sound both sterile and alive. You really need to go to extremes to get sterile from analog since it tends to have natural variations (also not sure why anyone would want to do this). On the other hand, you really need to go to extremes to make digital sound alive since it is natural for it to be too perfect and sterile.
tobb
Zymos wrote:
If only they'd asked that one guy on the Internet before designing this synth.... meh

There is a way to pimp it a bit,using black Befaco banananuts to replace those ugly one on the top panel and replacing all the knobs wink
Nelson Baboon
onthebandwagon wrote:
WhT sequencer seems like a suitable fit for this?

i think that there is more than one, but i personally am looking forward to using the pyramid with it.
Angroc
Speaking of sequencing. Any word out on MIDI spec? Really curious to see how much will be accessible with CC, or atleast NRPN.
Nelson Baboon
Angroc wrote:
Speaking of sequencing. Any word out on MIDI spec? Really curious to see how much will be accessible with CC, or atleast NRPN.

good question....i can't even find their site. i had this vague recollection that the manual is available, but I guess not.
CalvaryBand
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Angroc wrote:

good question....i can't even find their site. i had this vague recollection that the manual is available, but I guess not.

You can go into the mod matrix page and assign any parameter to any incoming MIDI CC.
Nelson Baboon
ah - not sure why this didn't pop up in my google searches, but i found it on gearslutz. also not sure if it's posted earlier in this thread, but it can't hurt, I guess....

http://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/
estin
Sounds like an interesting synth, however I don't understand how 8 voices in a digital synth has become acceptable in 2019. It likely sounds lovely and has interesting functionality, but digital synths had 10 voices 20 + years ago so I feel it reasonable to expect both sound and polyphony to improve over that time.
tvh
Perhaps they are just going for quality over quantity (8 voice limit) for hydrasynth because it sounds incredible.

I had an SH-01 at one point, that had 64-note polyphony and I thought it sounded terrible. I can't believe they are still selling them for over $600 new. hihi
digitalganesha
estin wrote:
Sounds like an interesting synth, however I don't understand how 8 voices in a digital synth has become acceptable in 2019.

A-fucking-MEN. I feel the same way. I've been despising the last few years of digital/"analog" hybrids because of the polyphony limitation of having an analog filter on a digital synthesizer. I don't want a VCF on a digital synth... I want fucking polyphony and multitimbral capability so I can enjoy the possibilities that digital synths offer by making huge layered performances. It's stupid to half-ass a digital synth featuring all the features the Hydrasynth does.
digitalganesha
tvh wrote:
Perhaps they are just going for quality over quantity (8 voice limit) for hydrasynth because it sounds incredible.

I like the sound of it, and want it - but the sound is not groundbreaking, and certainly not enough of an excuse to limit the polyphony/multitimbral capabilities. In my opinion it doesn't sound anywhere as good as the Novation Nova/Supernovas from 20 years ago and they had polyphony in numbers like 24, 32, 64. seriously, i just don't get it
Panason
The Argon8 probably sounds better but maybe less complex.
Nelson Baboon
i always have to laugh at the gearslutz type negative comments from people who haven't used an instrument but trash it before it has been released.

And I'm sure that one day, polyphony won't be a limitation, however i don't know of any hardware digital synth that isn't limited - i guess with software synths, the limitation can come from the computer hardware/os, but i don't think that there are hardware synths that allow you to upgrade their cpu, so the limit the polyphony to prevent people from running into issues (which would of course be complained about bitterly).

Isn't it possible that the processing on this synth uses more computing power than earlier digital synths? And isn't it also possible that adding more computing power would have added to the cost? Obviously there is an objective to keep this below 'high end' pricing.

i mean, people write about the polyphony as if they are maliciously limiting it, laughing diabolically behind the scenes about people buying the synth and then running out of voices.....

I personally am fine with 8, given what I've seen of the synth, and what to me sounds like a very malleable sound and modulation....one of course never really knows until one actually works with an instrument.
Blingley
Are there demos about with anyone playing this in a more keyboardist kind of way? A lot of the demos seem to be someone just putting sequencer on and holding a few keys. I'm quite interested in how easy it is to create responsive patches and how playable it is. Talking about the keyed version, of course. The poly aftertouch and ribbon sound promising for performance use in particular.
estin
I certainly wasn't insinuating they were limiting polyphony in a malicious way or anything like that. Maybe its true more polyphony would need more processor power but it seems like we are at a point where processor power has A: never been cheaper, and B: no longer seems to be the real determining factor of a digital products potential. 8 voices is a good amount to play with, but the beauty of deep digital synths for me would be stacking patches in which 8 becomes 4 and not super useful for long attack and release times sound design. 90's VA synths were cutting edge at the time and still managed interesting architecture and unique sounds with the same or even more voices. (original nord lead and MS2000 aside) I still think its reasonable for sound and polyphony to have impoved in 20+ years along with price going down. Having said all that, this looks like a great synth and its a real treat to be blessed with so many gear options these days.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 4 of 7