MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modal Argon8
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Modal Argon8
Xmit
in prototype mode...

Argon8

looks very promising - the baby toy synths never appealed, have never really
been able to justify the ££ for something like an 002. This seems to hit a place in -between....

will be keeping an eye on this
Xmit
also props for getting a young Michael Fassbender to do the Sonic State presentation...
h4ndcrafted
I loved my 001 sound, it was very musical, but boy was the animator a pita and a buzz kill. But at this price, a complete no brainier , I just love the Modal sound.

Good to see it is well built too, looks like a modern synth should. Oled check, minimal looking , check.

I vaguely remember the model prices not having tax added ?

Seems I’m right, so we are talking £700 here
Spectromat
I like the sound of this one, and £579
Josef_K
Looks very interesting, and since getting an Intellijel Planar module I am hooked on the joystick theme, hardly ever use pitch wheels anyway so this is a most welcome addition! Also the sound appeals more to me than the Hydrasynth, but that could be the demos talking. Only 37 keys is a letdown for sure though. Not sure if it's going to be worth setting me back a few months towards the Moog One, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on this smile
Jason Brock
Fantastic price point, wow. This looks great.
tIB
Any idea if MPE is to be included?
GuyaGuy
h4ndcrafted wrote:
I loved my 001 sound, it was very musical, but boy was the animator a pita and a buzz kill. But at this price, a complete no brainier , I just love the Modal sound.

Good to see it is well built too, looks like a modern synth should. Oled check, minimal looking , check.

Why was the animator a buzz kill? Just wondering because that’s been one of the more attractive features on Modal stuff—at least on paper.
anselmi
somebody say it: "hydrasynth killer!" hihi
Dragonaut
Any surprise that this is named after a gas? Or should I say GAS??
suboptimal
This looks dope. But I don't need another synth, right there below the Minilogue, say. I mean, I could just move those books and things. And sell something to buy . . . no . . . NOOOOOOO. Etc.
h4ndcrafted
GuyaGuy wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Why was the animator a buzz kill? Just wondering because that’s been one of the more attractive features on Modal stuff—at least on paper.

Felt like I might as well be using software, that was the main problem for me, with its limited ‘on hand’ modulation, it was down to the animator to do anything complex, which was laborious and much better done using the software editor.

Other stuff at the time was it wasn’t far into the firmware, midi sync was terrible, no backup options ready , software editor not finished...this was a year in.
Sounded brilliant though, if the firmware is good , it’s a killer synth by now.
GuyaGuy
h4ndcrafted wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Felt like I might as well be using software, that was the main problem for me, with its limited ‘on hand’ modulation, it was down to the animator to do anything complex, which was laborious and much better done using the software editor.

Other stuff at the time was it wasn’t far into the firmware, midi sync was terrible, no backup options ready , software editor not finished...this was a year in.

Disappointing. Seems like it has such potential. Hopefully the Argon improves on that.
Zymos
I got a full demo of this today and was really impressed. Especially the performance side of things, there's a programmable arp and a sequencer that can record knob twists as well as (or instead of) notes (and chords). It isn't 100% finished yet, there was only 1 filter type. They say they hope to ship in November.
cnicht
A non-keyboard version would be great too and keep the joystick! It's peanut butter jelly time!
missingtwin
Looking forward to a rack mount/tabletop MPE
version of this synth.
Would be an instant purchase for me.
Panason
Dope! Sequencer and arpeggiator onboard ! This could be the noodle machine I've been wanting...
h4ndcrafted
GuyaGuy wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Disappointing. Seems like it has such potential. Hopefully the Argon improves on that.

Well it’s not all bad, the argon has motion record and then you can edit it in the app if you want.

At the cheaper price it’s a no brainier for me, that’s how much I like modals sound engine.

I’m tempted by the hydrasynth , but Modal outshines itin sound from the demos I’ve heard so far, which doesn’t say much I know! We shall see.
h4ndcrafted
Zymos wrote:
I got a full demo of this today and was really impressed. Especially the performance side of things, there's a programmable arp and a sequencer that can record knob twists as well as (or instead of) notes (and chords). It isn't 100% finished yet, there was only 1 filter type. They say they hope to ship in November.

That’s great. Can I ask how you felt about the scaling of the encoders? My 001s were fine, but they did feel like they were offset and a bit prone to being changed easily , I just never felt comfortable with them like I do, say, on my OB6.

Did have that strange stereo reverby vibe that the 00x’s have dry? I know it’s more akin to skulpt, but I’m assuming that’s derived from the earlier engines.
kragg
cnicht wrote:
A non-keyboard version would be great too and keep the joystick! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Personnally, i am very glad to see a 37 full size keys version of it.
I can't stand 25 keys, and 49 keys is a pain to carry on stage or rehearsals...
To me, 37 is really the perfect size, and allows for nice playing .
Panason
£579 including VAT!!!! It's peanut butter jelly time! MODAL KEEPIN' IT REAL!
donato
missingtwin wrote:
Looking forward to a rack mount/tabletop MPE
version of this synth.
Would be an instant purchase for me.

I have little faith in Modal's implementation of MPE. As much as I like my 002r, the MPE implementation is very poor, and others have reported the same.
h4ndcrafted
Panason wrote:
£579 including VAT!!!! It's peanut butter jelly time! MODAL KEEPIN' IT REAL!

my bad, yeah was just about to update this. Thats a fantastic price, i'll take two!
Zymos
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Zymos wrote:

That’s great. Can I ask how you felt about the scaling of the encoders? My 001s were fine, but they did feel like they were offset and a bit prone to being changed easily , I just never felt comfortable with them like I do, say, on my OB6.

Did have that strange stereo reverby vibe that the 00x’s have dry? I know it’s more akin to skulpt, but I’m assuming that’s derived from the earlier engines.

Can't give good answers to either of those, sorry. I was mostly just listening while the Modal guy did the run through, and it was through speakers on the show floor. I'll probably swing by again today and check it out some more.
tron23
Love the Syrinx look, hopefully we can closely listen to it in its full glory very soon.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3