MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modal Argon8
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Modal Argon8
rowsbywoof
Looks incredible to me. Modal's stuff always sounds killer, but this is really doing it for me, and priced well too. I can see this one finding a home with me in the near future. Could easily see putting away something else for this one.

Also, yes, naming it after a gas is freaking brilliant... LOL
h4ndcrafted
rowsbywoof wrote:
Looks incredible to me. Modal's stuff always sounds killer, but this is really doing it for me, and priced well too. I can see this one finding a home with me in the near future. Could easily see putting away something else for this one.

Also, yes, naming it after a gas is freaking brilliant... LOL

Let’s hope it’s nota stinker!

But yes! Gas gas gas
kinkujin
Love the sounds of this demo. Nice footprint. Looks sweet - maybe some borrowed inspiration from Korg? I could see one of these in my future.
Xmit
£579 inc VAT is great I reckon for this.

I'm hoping Modal will be at SynthFest in Sheffield again next month as I 'd like to get a proper hands-on this puppy.
Panason

hihi
anselmi
Panason wrote:

hihi

well, this thing has all what I missed from my craftsynth 2: polyphony, bigger pannel with more dedicated knobs, better construction and a keyboard

also: the price is good and the size is perfect for my little studio, so why not?
kragg
I'd like to heard some bass presets. I'm not too keen on pads, lush sounds and trebbly arpeggios...
anselmi
kragg wrote:
I'd like to heard some bass presets. I'm not too keen on pads, lush sounds and trebbly arpeggios...

if your stuff are bass, I think you don´t need polyphony, so you could check the craftsynth 2.0 and save some cash
kragg
I am interested into both smile
I didn't like the size factor of their small desktop synths : appealing at first, but i think i wouldn't have used them much in the end (in the studio, i have other stuff, and on stage, it seemed too small, not readable enough, and with too many "shift" shortcuts to be fun and efficient to play with).
On the other hand, I like full size 37 keys a lot, with many knobs, exp and hold pedal, and also a multieffect unit onboard, so i can see very well taking it on stage.
But i wouldn't use it for pads only, and i haven't heard any deep/think/fat bass from it yet (and their smaller synths gave me the same impression : i can't figure out if it is because their preset designers enjoys pads and arpeggios a lot, or if it is because their synth engine is not very good at "regular" bass duties).
anselmi
kragg wrote:
I didn't like the size factor of their small desktop synths : appealing at first, but i think i wouldn't have used them much in the end (in the studio, i have other stuff, and on stage, it seemed too small, not readable enough, and with too many "shift" shortcuts to be fun and efficient to play with).

you are right...it happened to me and this new one seems to be the perfect replacement

Quote:
But i wouldn't use it for pads only, and i haven't heard any deep/think/fat bass from it yet (and their smaller synths gave me the same impression : i can't figure out if it is because their preset designers enjoys pads and arpeggios a lot, or if it is because their synth engine is not very good at "regular" bass duties).

in the craftsynth 2 there is some solid bass presets, more in the kind of dubstep/bass music than the kind of stuff that an analog or VA synth delivers, but I think it´s ok since it shows some personal signature from a digital device that is not trying to impersonate anything else

not all the wavetables can make it...some sounds kinda "broken" like when you transpose down a sample with little low content. Anyway, this is also a cool effect and I like to use it in one oscillator while the other delivers a more classic and solid low end (like a simple triangle/sine wave). A little LPF to round the upper register also helps to glue both sounds together
Panason
There isn't really any digital hardware that can compete with plugins for bass duties. Those complex neuro-bass wavetable growls from Serum aren't likely to be happening in affordable hardware in the near future.

The Argon does seem to have a fairly solid low end but the sounds will be simpler.
kragg
I understand that. I have been into dubstep quite a lot, and i understand the appeal for heavily modulated basslines, as well as the need for Modal to push a "non analogue", different signature sound.

However, what annoys me a bit so far is that in every Modal synth i have listened to, I had the feeling that the raw sound of the oscillator was always hidden behind a ton of modulations (or unison, or filtering). Just like when you try a softsynth where all the presets are drown under a ton of reverb and delay.
It is not about trying to mimic an analog synth, it is just about knowing "how low can you go" (and deep or thick or raw) do the oscillator sound, when they are not hidden under several complex modulation layers, reverb and unisson...

What appeals to me the most with this synth is the interface : for the stage player, it has a much more comprehensive featureset than the Minilogue (fx section, full size keys, aftertouch, hold and exp pedals, etc), and much more power under the hood. For the Wavetable lovers, it has also a more user friendly interface than the Blofeld. It also has a "proper" poly interface (which the "grooveboxey" A4 doesn't).
But does it have a better filter than the Minilogue or the Blofeld ? And is it versatile enough (ok, it can do pads and sequences, as well as modulated mid-rangey wavetable stuff à la Prophet VS, but how good is it for the regular bass duties, this is what i woud like to know) ?
Well, i guess i just need to wait a bit for more demos to come out smile
technicoloraudio
This is a must have for me, even after my 001 was a complete nightmare. The modal sound is truly unique, and even though Peak uses similarly designed oscillators, the Modal sound engine is a one of a kind beast.
kragg
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw8g6Bk-bJA[/video]
SB-SIX
kragg wrote:
I understand that. I have been into dubstep quite a lot, and i understand the appeal for heavily modulated basslines, as well as the need for Modal to push a "non analogue", different signature sound.

However, what annoys me a bit so far is that in every Modal synth i have listened to, I had the feeling that the raw sound of the oscillator was always hidden behind a ton of modulations (or unison, or filtering). Just like when you try a softsynth where all the presets are drown under a ton of reverb and delay.
It is not about trying to mimic an analog synth, it is just about knowing "how low can you go" (and deep or thick or raw) do the oscillator sound, when they are not hidden under several complex modulation layers, reverb and unisson...

What appeals to me the most with this synth is the interface : for the stage player, it has a much more comprehensive featureset than the Minilogue (fx section, full size keys, aftertouch, hold and exp pedals, etc), and much more power under the hood. For the Wavetable lovers, it has also a more user friendly interface than the Blofeld. It also has a "proper" poly interface (which the "grooveboxey" A4 doesn't).
But does it have a better filter than the Minilogue or the Blofeld ? And is it versatile enough (ok, it can do pads and sequences, as well as modulated mid-rangey wavetable stuff à la Prophet VS, but how good is it for the regular bass duties, this is what i woud like to know) ?
Well, i guess i just need to wait a bit for more demos to come out smile

It looks like an evolution of the skulpt and craft engine. They do really well in the bass department so I would be surprised if the argon8 would not
kragg
Thank you for your feedback, SB-Six. This is also what a friend told me.
Panason
This is rapidly heading to the top of my shopping list.

Interestingly, Nick Batt (SonicState) quickly asked to hear the bottom end in the demo (at 5:20 and 6:50) but his response to what he heard was unclear?
But, also check out 13:50 hihi and the patch at the very end of the vid!

Sounds solid enough to me ...
Spectromat
echologist
I would love to see a desktop version SlayerBadger!
Gribs
I am more interested in Hydrasynth... I have no need or room for either one, though.
h4ndcrafted
Heard a few demos of the hydra, and while I can confirm my 001 did bass just fine, all be it more refined, it knocked at the right frequencies easily and sounded good in a mix. Basically the sound is there to eq and distort at will.

Assuming this will be similar as the filter sounded close to the 001 for me.

What I want is a bass from the hydra, loving some of the poly sounds, but just wanna hear some simple sh101 type bass stabs of something.

I like the hydra more in terms of user interface and facilities. Soundwise it’s harder to tell.

I wonder whether it’s the same dacs as the 001 ? Maybe the 001 has better sound quality ?
anselmi
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Heard a few demos of the hydra, and while I can confirm my 001 did bass just fine, all be it more refined, it knocked at the right frequencies easily and sounded good in a mix. Basically the sound is there to eq and distort at will.

What I want is a bass from the hydra, loving some of the poly sounds, but just wanna hear some simple sh101 type bass stabs of something.

I like the hydra more in terms of user interface and facilities. Soundwise it’s harder to tell.

I wonder whether it’s the same dacs as the 001 ? Maybe the 001 has better sound quality ?

Are you talking about the Hydra or the Argon? hmmm.....
h4ndcrafted
anselmi wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Sorry bit all over the place, the 001

But want to hear Hydra bass.
Dstepatl
h4ndcrafted wrote:
anselmi wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Sorry bit all over the place, the 001

But want to hear Hydra bass.

Hydrasynth bass is excellent. PWM bass is fucking amazing.

https://youtu.be/_bmalvoCzmI

I’m glad I preordered. May get an argon too as I wanted a 002, but not sure I can spend 2500 on a rack without the hands on control.
Xmit
tried the Argon-8 at Synthfest.

Sound was pretty nice, built quality & UI / ergonomics pretty horrible.

To be fair - it's a cheap synth, but it feels it & looks it close up.

It was good to actualy try one though as I was curious - but the bottom line is I'd save the extra cash & go straight for the Hydrasynth instead.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3