MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modal Argon8
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Modal Argon8
Xmit
in prototype mode...

Argon8

looks very promising - the baby toy synths never appealed, have never really
been able to justify the ££ for something like an 002. This seems to hit a place in -between....

will be keeping an eye on this
Xmit
also props for getting a young Michael Fassbender to do the Sonic State presentation...
h4ndcrafted
I loved my 001 sound, it was very musical, but boy was the animator a pita and a buzz kill. But at this price, a complete no brainier , I just love the Modal sound.

Good to see it is well built too, looks like a modern synth should. Oled check, minimal looking , check.

I vaguely remember the model prices not having tax added ?

Seems I’m right, so we are talking £700 here
Spectromat
I like the sound of this one, and £579
Josef_K
Looks very interesting, and since getting an Intellijel Planar module I am hooked on the joystick theme, hardly ever use pitch wheels anyway so this is a most welcome addition! Also the sound appeals more to me than the Hydrasynth, but that could be the demos talking. Only 37 keys is a letdown for sure though. Not sure if it's going to be worth setting me back a few months towards the Moog One, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on this smile
Jason Brock
Fantastic price point, wow. This looks great.
tIB
Any idea if MPE is to be included?
GuyaGuy
h4ndcrafted wrote:
I loved my 001 sound, it was very musical, but boy was the animator a pita and a buzz kill. But at this price, a complete no brainier , I just love the Modal sound.

Good to see it is well built too, looks like a modern synth should. Oled check, minimal looking , check.

I vaguely remember the model prices not having tax added ?

Seems I’m right, so we are talking £700 here


Why was the animator a buzz kill? Just wondering because that’s been one of the more attractive features on Modal stuff—at least on paper.
anselmi
somebody say it: "hydrasynth killer!" hihi
Dragonaut
Any surprise that this is named after a gas? Or should I say GAS??
suboptimal
This looks dope. But I don't need another synth, right there below the Minilogue, say. I mean, I could just move those books and things. And sell something to buy . . . no . . . NOOOOOOO. Etc.
h4ndcrafted
GuyaGuy wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
I loved my 001 sound, it was very musical, but boy was the animator a pita and a buzz kill. But at this price, a complete no brainier , I just love the Modal sound.

Good to see it is well built too, looks like a modern synth should. Oled check, minimal looking , check.

I vaguely remember the model prices not having tax added ?

Seems I’m right, so we are talking £700 here


Why was the animator a buzz kill? Just wondering because that’s been one of the more attractive features on Modal stuff—at least on paper.


Felt like I might as well be using software, that was the main problem for me, with its limited ‘on hand’ modulation, it was down to the animator to do anything complex, which was laborious and much better done using the software editor.

Other stuff at the time was it wasn’t far into the firmware, midi sync was terrible, no backup options ready , software editor not finished...this was a year in.
Sounded brilliant though, if the firmware is good , it’s a killer synth by now.
GuyaGuy
h4ndcrafted wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
I loved my 001 sound, it was very musical, but boy was the animator a pita and a buzz kill. But at this price, a complete no brainier , I just love the Modal sound.

Good to see it is well built too, looks like a modern synth should. Oled check, minimal looking , check.

I vaguely remember the model prices not having tax added ?

Seems I’m right, so we are talking £700 here


Why was the animator a buzz kill? Just wondering because that’s been one of the more attractive features on Modal stuff—at least on paper.


Felt like I might as well be using software, that was the main problem for me, with its limited ‘on hand’ modulation, it was down to the animator to do anything complex, which was laborious and much better done using the software editor.

Other stuff at the time was it wasn’t far into the firmware, midi sync was terrible, no backup options ready , software editor not finished...this was a year in.
Sounded brilliant though, if the firmware is good , it’s a killer synth by now.

Disappointing. Seems like it has such potential. Hopefully the Argon improves on that.
Zymos
I got a full demo of this today and was really impressed. Especially the performance side of things, there's a programmable arp and a sequencer that can record knob twists as well as (or instead of) notes (and chords). It isn't 100% finished yet, there was only 1 filter type. They say they hope to ship in November.
cnicht
A non-keyboard version would be great too and keep the joystick! It's peanut butter jelly time!
missingtwin
Looking forward to a rack mount/tabletop MPE
version of this synth.
Would be an instant purchase for me.
Panason
Dope! Sequencer and arpeggiator onboard ! This could be the noodle machine I've been wanting...
h4ndcrafted
GuyaGuy wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
I loved my 001 sound, it was very musical, but boy was the animator a pita and a buzz kill. But at this price, a complete no brainier , I just love the Modal sound.

Good to see it is well built too, looks like a modern synth should. Oled check, minimal looking , check.

I vaguely remember the model prices not having tax added ?

Seems I’m right, so we are talking £700 here


Why was the animator a buzz kill? Just wondering because that’s been one of the more attractive features on Modal stuff—at least on paper.


Felt like I might as well be using software, that was the main problem for me, with its limited ‘on hand’ modulation, it was down to the animator to do anything complex, which was laborious and much better done using the software editor.

Other stuff at the time was it wasn’t far into the firmware, midi sync was terrible, no backup options ready , software editor not finished...this was a year in.
Sounded brilliant though, if the firmware is good , it’s a killer synth by now.

Disappointing. Seems like it has such potential. Hopefully the Argon improves on that.


Well it’s not all bad, the argon has motion record and then you can edit it in the app if you want.

At the cheaper price it’s a no brainier for me, that’s how much I like modals sound engine.

I’m tempted by the hydrasynth , but Modal outshines itin sound from the demos I’ve heard so far, which doesn’t say much I know! We shall see.
h4ndcrafted
Zymos wrote:
I got a full demo of this today and was really impressed. Especially the performance side of things, there's a programmable arp and a sequencer that can record knob twists as well as (or instead of) notes (and chords). It isn't 100% finished yet, there was only 1 filter type. They say they hope to ship in November.


That’s great. Can I ask how you felt about the scaling of the encoders? My 001s were fine, but they did feel like they were offset and a bit prone to being changed easily , I just never felt comfortable with them like I do, say, on my OB6.

Did have that strange stereo reverby vibe that the 00x’s have dry? I know it’s more akin to skulpt, but I’m assuming that’s derived from the earlier engines.
kragg
cnicht wrote:
A non-keyboard version would be great too and keep the joystick! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Personnally, i am very glad to see a 37 full size keys version of it.
I can't stand 25 keys, and 49 keys is a pain to carry on stage or rehearsals...
To me, 37 is really the perfect size, and allows for nice playing .
Panason
£579 including VAT!!!! It's peanut butter jelly time! MODAL KEEPIN' IT REAL!
donato
missingtwin wrote:
Looking forward to a rack mount/tabletop MPE
version of this synth.
Would be an instant purchase for me.


I have little faith in Modal's implementation of MPE. As much as I like my 002r, the MPE implementation is very poor, and others have reported the same.
h4ndcrafted
Panason wrote:
£579 including VAT!!!! It's peanut butter jelly time! MODAL KEEPIN' IT REAL!


my bad, yeah was just about to update this. Thats a fantastic price, i'll take two!
Zymos
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Zymos wrote:
I got a full demo of this today and was really impressed. Especially the performance side of things, there's a programmable arp and a sequencer that can record knob twists as well as (or instead of) notes (and chords). It isn't 100% finished yet, there was only 1 filter type. They say they hope to ship in November.


That’s great. Can I ask how you felt about the scaling of the encoders? My 001s were fine, but they did feel like they were offset and a bit prone to being changed easily , I just never felt comfortable with them like I do, say, on my OB6.

Did have that strange stereo reverby vibe that the 00x’s have dry? I know it’s more akin to skulpt, but I’m assuming that’s derived from the earlier engines.


Can't give good answers to either of those, sorry. I was mostly just listening while the Modal guy did the run through, and it was through speakers on the show floor. I'll probably swing by again today and check it out some more.
tron23
Love the Syrinx look, hopefully we can closely listen to it in its full glory very soon.
rowsbywoof
Looks incredible to me. Modal's stuff always sounds killer, but this is really doing it for me, and priced well too. I can see this one finding a home with me in the near future. Could easily see putting away something else for this one.

Also, yes, naming it after a gas is freaking brilliant... LOL
h4ndcrafted
rowsbywoof wrote:
Looks incredible to me. Modal's stuff always sounds killer, but this is really doing it for me, and priced well too. I can see this one finding a home with me in the near future. Could easily see putting away something else for this one.

Also, yes, naming it after a gas is freaking brilliant... LOL


Let’s hope it’s nota stinker!

But yes! Gas gas gas
kinkujin
Love the sounds of this demo. Nice footprint. Looks sweet - maybe some borrowed inspiration from Korg? I could see one of these in my future.
Xmit
£579 inc VAT is great I reckon for this.

I'm hoping Modal will be at SynthFest in Sheffield again next month as I 'd like to get a proper hands-on this puppy.
Panason


hihi
anselmi
Panason wrote:


hihi


well, this thing has all what I missed from my craftsynth 2: polyphony, bigger pannel with more dedicated knobs, better construction and a keyboard

also: the price is good and the size is perfect for my little studio, so why not?
kragg
I'd like to heard some bass presets. I'm not too keen on pads, lush sounds and trebbly arpeggios...
anselmi
kragg wrote:
I'd like to heard some bass presets. I'm not too keen on pads, lush sounds and trebbly arpeggios...


if your stuff are bass, I think you don´t need polyphony, so you could check the craftsynth 2.0 and save some cash
kragg
I am interested into both smile
I didn't like the size factor of their small desktop synths : appealing at first, but i think i wouldn't have used them much in the end (in the studio, i have other stuff, and on stage, it seemed too small, not readable enough, and with too many "shift" shortcuts to be fun and efficient to play with).
On the other hand, I like full size 37 keys a lot, with many knobs, exp and hold pedal, and also a multieffect unit onboard, so i can see very well taking it on stage.
But i wouldn't use it for pads only, and i haven't heard any deep/think/fat bass from it yet (and their smaller synths gave me the same impression : i can't figure out if it is because their preset designers enjoys pads and arpeggios a lot, or if it is because their synth engine is not very good at "regular" bass duties).
anselmi
kragg wrote:
I didn't like the size factor of their small desktop synths : appealing at first, but i think i wouldn't have used them much in the end (in the studio, i have other stuff, and on stage, it seemed too small, not readable enough, and with too many "shift" shortcuts to be fun and efficient to play with).


you are right...it happened to me and this new one seems to be the perfect replacement

Quote:
But i wouldn't use it for pads only, and i haven't heard any deep/think/fat bass from it yet (and their smaller synths gave me the same impression : i can't figure out if it is because their preset designers enjoys pads and arpeggios a lot, or if it is because their synth engine is not very good at "regular" bass duties).


in the craftsynth 2 there is some solid bass presets, more in the kind of dubstep/bass music than the kind of stuff that an analog or VA synth delivers, but I think it´s ok since it shows some personal signature from a digital device that is not trying to impersonate anything else

not all the wavetables can make it...some sounds kinda "broken" like when you transpose down a sample with little low content. Anyway, this is also a cool effect and I like to use it in one oscillator while the other delivers a more classic and solid low end (like a simple triangle/sine wave). A little LPF to round the upper register also helps to glue both sounds together
Panason
There isn't really any digital hardware that can compete with plugins for bass duties. Those complex neuro-bass wavetable growls from Serum aren't likely to be happening in affordable hardware in the near future.

The Argon does seem to have a fairly solid low end but the sounds will be simpler.
kragg
I understand that. I have been into dubstep quite a lot, and i understand the appeal for heavily modulated basslines, as well as the need for Modal to push a "non analogue", different signature sound.

However, what annoys me a bit so far is that in every Modal synth i have listened to, I had the feeling that the raw sound of the oscillator was always hidden behind a ton of modulations (or unison, or filtering). Just like when you try a softsynth where all the presets are drown under a ton of reverb and delay.
It is not about trying to mimic an analog synth, it is just about knowing "how low can you go" (and deep or thick or raw) do the oscillator sound, when they are not hidden under several complex modulation layers, reverb and unisson...


What appeals to me the most with this synth is the interface : for the stage player, it has a much more comprehensive featureset than the Minilogue (fx section, full size keys, aftertouch, hold and exp pedals, etc), and much more power under the hood. For the Wavetable lovers, it has also a more user friendly interface than the Blofeld. It also has a "proper" poly interface (which the "grooveboxey" A4 doesn't).
But does it have a better filter than the Minilogue or the Blofeld ? And is it versatile enough (ok, it can do pads and sequences, as well as modulated mid-rangey wavetable stuff à la Prophet VS, but how good is it for the regular bass duties, this is what i woud like to know) ?
Well, i guess i just need to wait a bit for more demos to come out smile
technicoloraudio
This is a must have for me, even after my 001 was a complete nightmare. The modal sound is truly unique, and even though Peak uses similarly designed oscillators, the Modal sound engine is a one of a kind beast.
kragg
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw8g6Bk-bJA[/video]
SB-SIX
kragg wrote:
I understand that. I have been into dubstep quite a lot, and i understand the appeal for heavily modulated basslines, as well as the need for Modal to push a "non analogue", different signature sound.

However, what annoys me a bit so far is that in every Modal synth i have listened to, I had the feeling that the raw sound of the oscillator was always hidden behind a ton of modulations (or unison, or filtering). Just like when you try a softsynth where all the presets are drown under a ton of reverb and delay.
It is not about trying to mimic an analog synth, it is just about knowing "how low can you go" (and deep or thick or raw) do the oscillator sound, when they are not hidden under several complex modulation layers, reverb and unisson...


What appeals to me the most with this synth is the interface : for the stage player, it has a much more comprehensive featureset than the Minilogue (fx section, full size keys, aftertouch, hold and exp pedals, etc), and much more power under the hood. For the Wavetable lovers, it has also a more user friendly interface than the Blofeld. It also has a "proper" poly interface (which the "grooveboxey" A4 doesn't).
But does it have a better filter than the Minilogue or the Blofeld ? And is it versatile enough (ok, it can do pads and sequences, as well as modulated mid-rangey wavetable stuff à la Prophet VS, but how good is it for the regular bass duties, this is what i woud like to know) ?
Well, i guess i just need to wait a bit for more demos to come out smile


It looks like an evolution of the skulpt and craft engine. They do really well in the bass department so I would be surprised if the argon8 would not
kragg
Thank you for your feedback, SB-Six. This is also what a friend told me.
Panason
This is rapidly heading to the top of my shopping list.

Interestingly, Nick Batt (SonicState) quickly asked to hear the bottom end in the demo (at 5:20 and 6:50) but his response to what he heard was unclear?
But, also check out 13:50 hihi and the patch at the very end of the vid!

Sounds solid enough to me ...
Spectromat
echologist
I would love to see a desktop version SlayerBadger!
Gribs
I am more interested in Hydrasynth... I have no need or room for either one, though.
h4ndcrafted
Heard a few demos of the hydra, and while I can confirm my 001 did bass just fine, all be it more refined, it knocked at the right frequencies easily and sounded good in a mix. Basically the sound is there to eq and distort at will.

Assuming this will be similar as the filter sounded close to the 001 for me.

What I want is a bass from the hydra, loving some of the poly sounds, but just wanna hear some simple sh101 type bass stabs of something.

I like the hydra more in terms of user interface and facilities. Soundwise it’s harder to tell.

I wonder whether it’s the same dacs as the 001 ? Maybe the 001 has better sound quality ?
anselmi
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Heard a few demos of the hydra, and while I can confirm my 001 did bass just fine, all be it more refined, it knocked at the right frequencies easily and sounded good in a mix. Basically the sound is there to eq and distort at will.

Assuming this will be similar as the filter sounded close to the 001 for me.

What I want is a bass from the hydra, loving some of the poly sounds, but just wanna hear some simple sh101 type bass stabs of something.

I like the hydra more in terms of user interface and facilities. Soundwise it’s harder to tell.

I wonder whether it’s the same dacs as the 001 ? Maybe the 001 has better sound quality ?


Are you talking about the Hydra or the Argon? hmmm.....
h4ndcrafted
anselmi wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Heard a few demos of the hydra, and while I can confirm my 001 did bass just fine, all be it more refined, it knocked at the right frequencies easily and sounded good in a mix. Basically the sound is there to eq and distort at will.

Assuming this will be similar as the filter sounded close to the 001 for me.

What I want is a bass from the hydra, loving some of the poly sounds, but just wanna hear some simple sh101 type bass stabs of something.

I like the hydra more in terms of user interface and facilities. Soundwise it’s harder to tell.

I wonder whether it’s the same dacs as the 001 ? Maybe the 001 has better sound quality ?




Are you talking about the Hydra or the Argon? hmmm.....


Sorry bit all over the place, the 001

But want to hear Hydra bass.
Dstepatl
h4ndcrafted wrote:
anselmi wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Heard a few demos of the hydra, and while I can confirm my 001 did bass just fine, all be it more refined, it knocked at the right frequencies easily and sounded good in a mix. Basically the sound is there to eq and distort at will.

Assuming this will be similar as the filter sounded close to the 001 for me.

What I want is a bass from the hydra, loving some of the poly sounds, but just wanna hear some simple sh101 type bass stabs of something.

I like the hydra more in terms of user interface and facilities. Soundwise it’s harder to tell.

I wonder whether it’s the same dacs as the 001 ? Maybe the 001 has better sound quality ?




Are you talking about the Hydra or the Argon? hmmm.....


Sorry bit all over the place, the 001

But want to hear Hydra bass.


Hydrasynth bass is excellent. PWM bass is fucking amazing.

https://youtu.be/_bmalvoCzmI

I’m glad I preordered. May get an argon too as I wanted a 002, but not sure I can spend 2500 on a rack without the hands on control.
Xmit
tried the Argon-8 at Synthfest.

Sound was pretty nice, built quality & UI / ergonomics pretty horrible.

To be fair - it's a cheap synth, but it feels it & looks it close up.

It was good to actualy try one though as I was curious - but the bottom line is I'd save the extra cash & go straight for the Hydrasynth instead.
Panason
But was that a prototype and not a finalised production unit?
Xmit
^
good question... but as were a few of them ( 3 ? ) on the stand & no-one mentioned it was a prototype....? hmmm.....

I got the impression that whilst firmware may ( will ) change, that's it for the hardware.

Don't get me wrong - it's a pretty cheap synth ultimately, I get that.
Panason


It sounds like they're prototypes from the commentary at the very start.
Still sounding good though.
ellitone
Miley Cyrus
rowsbywoof
I doubt for this price point the build is going to be super-refined, but from a far it doesn't look cheap to me. The sound on this thing is really ticking all the boxes for me. I can take some wobbly pots and less than perfect case finish if it can hit these sounds at that price. I guess we'll see, though. grin
UltraViolet
The Argon 8 they had at Knobcon was of good quality. It may have been a prototype since they are not yet in production.
hawkfuzz
Price went up $50 bucks. I wonder if this is the reason why it hasn't been released
Torn n Frayed
hawkfuzz wrote:
Price went up $50 bucks. I wonder if this is the reason why it hasn't been released


I noticed that also, I think the original release date is Nov 25 so they're still on track for that..
UltraViolet
They just had production prototypes at Knobcon. It will take them a while to get production setup and going. Hopefully November 25, but if they run into production issues, they will likely have to move that date back. It should be well worth the wait.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 3
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group